iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fixing my Logrite handle grips

Started by Magicman, February 14, 2017, 08:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

My 60" Logrite cant hook has been showing some wear as shown in the below picture.  The end of the cant hook had cut through the rubber grip and then slid a couple of inched exposing the blue handle on the end.

My fix may not work, but at least I am trying.

I looked at the liquid truck bed liner, but settled on this.  If it is not tough enough, I will try the bed liner material.

I slid the rubber grip back to the end of the handle and pinned the torn flap over the end.

Here is that same end after I dipped it into the liquid rubber.  I dipped them about 2"-3".

I went ahead and dipped them all as a precautionary and they look better.  I will be sawing for the rest of the week so I will see how the liquid rubber holds up.  They all got 3 dips.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

fishfighter

Should hold to the next time someone drops it on those ends a couple times. Still they look nice. ;D

Bert

Seems like a good fix. Never heard of that stuff. Looking forward to see the results after some work. Whose that guy holding the highly valuable slabs?
Saw you tomorrow!

Magicman

That is Jeff taken last month when we spent a week at the Cabin doing some hunting and sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

I have tried two things to pad my handles,  both worked well. I had some pieces of large heat shrink tube that formed well around the handle. Straight sections of truck radiator hose can be pounded over the handle. Does Logrite sell replacement handle covers.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

I am sure that they will, but maybe this "fix" will work.  After it has set up for over 24 hours this stuff that I used is really hard.  I believe that it will be a winner but only time will tell.

Dan_Shade

Did you fill the end of the pipe with something solid before coating it?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Kbeitz

E-bay sells Heavy foam rubber tubes for handles.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Dan, I only had one that was completely torn and thought about that expandable foam stuff, but I'll just try what I did and see what happens. 

The square edge on the end is what cuts the foam grip and this seems to offer the needed protection.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on February 15, 2017, 09:05:40 PM
I am sure that they will, but maybe this "fix" will work.  After it has set up for over 24 hours this stuff that I used is really hard.  I believe that it will be a winner but only time will tell.
I've obtained new handles from LogRite for $4 each.   

One soaks the inside in rubbing alcohol for lubrication then works it on.  Not the easiest.   I think they have a vacuum method to put them on at the factory.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kbeitz

Take a air nozzle and shoot a stream of air along side of the
handle while sliding it on. You will be surprised how easy it
will slide on. This also works wonders when trying to get two
plastic buckets apart. You need a strong blast of air.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

terrifictimbersllc

I will try that, I still have a couple to do.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!