iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another tale from the Goat Files....Prince Albert in a Log.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, February 14, 2017, 05:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A guy come into the mill over 2 months ago and gives me some nice short Cedar logs.
Why I said?
He said his son was in the Department of Corrections. He worked in the shop doing wood projects with other to gain "good time served".
He said his friends would saw the short Cedar and he would take it to the prison and they would let the woodworkers make crafts out of it.
I didn't get the guys name.....no buying or selling. He just wanted them off his trailer.

I sawed into a Cedar log today that was full of balloons filled with tobacco. There was also Racket Balls in this log. The balls were filled with tobacco. Plugs were drilled and filled and a plug covered the hole. It was well hidden.
Evidently I got the wrong logs and the prisoners did too.  :D At first I thought it was Marijuana but the Marlboro dog stopped by and said it was Tobacco.
Tobacco is worth A LOT in the prison system and can be used as money, the way I heard it.
I thought I had seen it all but this now takes #1. I've heard of Prince Albert in a can but never Prince Albert in a log.  ;D If you only could have felt the way I did when I sawed in that log and balloons and balls were coming out.....Happy Valentines Day!

https://youtu.be/ZZX3FC22QNc

These are the logs.

My Dad and his buddy doing an inspection.

A Secret Agent checking logs.

Looking for a Pipe Bomb or maybe a pipe or anything else that a 4 degree blade won't saw.  :D :D :D

Cedar Cant

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

btulloh

You don't see that every day.  What kind of blade works best on racquetballs?  Maybe one of the other logs has the $100 bills in it.

It would be interesting to know the story behind that.
HM126

Joe Hillmann

It would make an awesome mantle just because of the story you could tell about it.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

btulloh

If you used that cedar in one of your fancy outhouses you could double your price.
HM126

JRWoodchuck

I would say that takes the cake for things found while milling!
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Magicman

Someone somewhere is scratching their stump and wondering where that butt log is.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

One way to move Prince Albert around, Now the  smiley_policeman will be back tracking that load.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I did have a guy walk in and say, "Now thats was one BIG Carpenter Bee".  :D :D :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scleigh

4x4American

The goat files  :D :D :D

That is crazy...so what are you gonna do with all that tobacco?
Boy, back in my day..

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

customsawyer

I think you win when it comes to strange things found in a log.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

bandmiller2

I don't know mate but I think I would check a large hollow log before I milled it, or at least holler a warning before the cut. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

terrifictimbersllc

For real advance planning you could fasten your goodies so the tree would grow around them, then have your kids bring them in to you later. Assuming you'd end up in a shop which I would guess is a fair bet.  :laugh:
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Farmerjw

I assume the dog was a police dog.  Were the police interested in where they came from and where they were supposed to go??   Also just wondering, how well hidden were the "pockets"?  Did they drill them out and then hammer in a limb?  That is just weird.  Have you cut the rest? 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Nomad

David, if there's a prize for strangest find in a log I think my vote goes to you.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

FalconFan

Roxie

David, you are always entertaining.  Always entertaining.   :D :D
Say when

fishfighter

Back in the 1970's, I was flying out of New Orleans. My Dad, a US custom agent was working the airport and I went to see him. In his office on a table were a couple drills with bits. Asked him WTH was with that. He told me that when they check the passage list and a flag would come across, they would flag people and if they had high heel shoes on, out came the drill. :D

Still nice find OP. :D Could you use those cants to smoke some meat? :D

etroup10

This post reminded me of a video I saw awhile ago. I'd really like to know what the used to hollow these logs out. https://youtu.be/xFP26qIJBnI
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Delawhere Jack

Some seriously agitated -- nicotine deprived hombres will be getting out of the pokey someday. Stay alert.  fudd-smiley

Thank You Sponsors!