iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new to the forum

Started by efitzgerald, December 05, 2004, 07:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efitzgerald

Hello to all. I am Eddward Fitzgerald, I live in Marysville Ohio. My Buddy and I have started a sawmill in Marysville. We have been running it for about alittle over a year. Our main purpose with the mill is to make rairoad ties. Although some logs are just to good for that so we saw grade lumber out of them. My buddies dad has a mill just outside of town. He has been in the sawmill buisness for about 25 years. I have some pictures of our mill to share with everyone but dont know how to upload the to here can someone help please.
tougher than a $2.00 steak

Ianab

HI Edward and welcome to the forum

There is a page of instructions at https://forestryforum.com/upload.htm

Have a read through there and give it a go. Feel free to ask is anything there is confusing.

We like seeing pictures  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

efitzgerald

i give up it wont let me upload them

WoodSmith

WH_Conley

eiftzgerald, how far from Colombus are you? I am about twenty-five southwest of Portsmouth on the Ky. side. How is your market for ties?
Bill

TN_man

Welcome, and glad to have ya 8)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

MULE_MAN

WELCOME   8)

So what kind of Mill are you using  ???

Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

KENROD

Hammy

Hi Edward,

Welcome to the FF mate! To upload a picture you will probably need to scale it down a bit to fit in the required size.  You can do this by decreasing the actual size & making it slightly less dpi.

Enjoy the Forum, just don't mention grits........
C. Hammond
Petersons

EZ

Welcome to the Forum, Edward.
Your not to far from me, maybe one of these days I'll swing over and check out your mill, if thats ok. ;D
EZ

efitzgerald

anyone passing through Marysville can stop by and see the mill. I think I have figured out this picture thing. ok no i havent. I got the right piel size but to many bytes

Pete J

Welcome to the forum! Don't give up on those pictures. It's kinda like an initiation to the club. Once you finally figure it out, you're in for good. I think it's Jeff's way of weeding out those folks that give up too easy.

LogRite

Jeff

LogRite, thats real close to being right. Pictures are not that hard, and there is plenty of documentation on how to do it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norwiscutter

Welcome, and good luck with them pictures. You'll get er sooner or later... if your like me, it will be later. ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

UNCLEBUCK

welcome  there  efitzgerald !  get them pictures sized down to 3-1/2 x 3-1/2 inches or pixels and then crunch em down to 15,000 and upload lickitty split. I still dont know what a pixel is ? Is that a form of measurement for picture size? Lets see that mill  ef  !  ???
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Tom

Here's a "kind-a-like".

Look at the pictures in your newspaper, with a magnifying glass if you have to, and you will see that it is made up of little dots of colored ink.(or black in the case of b&w)

Those little dots would be pixels in a digital photo.  The more that you have, the sharper the picture.  The fewer that you have , the more chance that the picture will just fall apart and lose all detail.

Some photo compression software allows for the decrease in the bit density of pixels in the background but keeps a high volume in the areas of interest.  That way the picture remains "apparently" sharp. :)

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/pixel.html

handsaw07

Welcome Ed, I am right between you and Wh just north of Portsmouth .

OneWithWood

Welcome, Ed.  What software are you using to resize the pics?  Xact is real simple to use and the demo is free.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

efitzgerald

efitzgerald

C:\Documents and Settings\Edward Fitzgerald\My Documents\My Pictures\Picture\sawmill pics\fitzsaw1.jpg         i think i got it lets hope here goes nothing.

Pete J

I sent you a PM. The upload image links are hard to spot sometimes. When you click on reply to this message, do you see them right below where you would type in your message?

Don't give up. All of us here will help you because we want to see the mill. Now let's try it again!

UNCLEBUCK

thanks for the good description about pixels Tom, it was good
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

etat

efitzgerald, don't worry.  Anybody that's tougher than a two dollar steak just ain't a gonna give up, right. :)  It took me forever to learn.  Once you ever do it and figure out how easy it is it's just like when you finally learned how to ride a bike.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Ianab

Almost got it  :)

The pictures are uploaded and in the photo gallery.

Just need to link them into the posts now

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

Just gotta remember one thing, the word "Cant" ONLY refers to a square chunk of wood. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nice Mill set-up. ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

customsawyer

Welcome Ed just one thought where do you find a steak for $2.00?  :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

efitzgerald

efitzgerald

i figured it out got through that part of the process   does that constitute as hazing

DanG

Waytago Eddward! That's an awesome looking mill. Now that you've showed us a pitchker, tell us a bit about it and how you came by it. :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Pete J

I guess will have to find you some room in the frat house now. Just don't tell your parents what goes on in here.

doublecutusa

Welcome aboard Ed.  Do like I do, call a 17 year old geek and give him a package of blank cd's in payment and tell him what you want...done!

efitzgerald

Well the mill actually belongs to a buddy of mine and his dad right now. I started working with them when they had a scragg mill set up to mak pallet cants. Well I got shiped of to Fort Riley Kansas with the U.S. army reserves in support of Operation Enduring Freedom/ Operation Iraqi Freedom. They bought the mill from some guy in Southern Ohio. We then in turn sold the scragg mill to some amish guy in Southern Ohio. We use this mill mainly to produce and cut railroad ties. Although we have come to find out we end up producing lots of differant grades of lumber. So now we have lots of lumber to get rid of. My buddies dad is going to turn the mill over to us when we get this going good and he makes his money back off of it. His dad has another mill out at his place outsde of town. He uses that mill to cut grade lumber and do custom sawing. He has three kiln dries that we dry all of our lumber in. We also do alot of logging of our own. We have started getting into timber brokering alittle. So far we are doing pretty good. We now are working on the weekends to split and sell firewood.

WV_hillbilly

Welcome Ed . Another one from Ohio . If we get a few more we might   outnumber those Michigan members .

Nice looking setup there .  What kinda power you running that mill with ?  

Heck you are just a stones throw away from BBTom .He lives by Malobar State Park .
Hillbilly

efitzgerald

where the heck is malabar stae lake at

WV_hillbilly

It's right below Mansfield. So it should be just a little Northeast of you .
Hillbilly

efitzgerald

hey everyone We just logged about 8 truck loads of walnut. I have a few truck loads on the camera. As soon as i can get my wife to upload them to the computer i will let everyone see all this money. we ended up with 3 truck loads of veneer walnut logs.

doublecutusa

Welcome aboard Ed!  Do you have a geeky nephew?  Do you know of anyone that will loan you a geeky nephew??  He can take care of it. :D

doublecutusa

uh oh...didn't read far enough...my partner is always acusing me of that. ;D..looks like you have a lot of mechanical ability.  Good luck with the business.  This is a neat place for ideas and information. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!