iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Convert 1 Phase 1 HP Motor to Variable Speed?

Started by lukebarber, February 13, 2017, 06:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukebarber

Is there anyway to convert a 1 phase 1 HP motor to variable speed without 3phase without step pulleys? I want to do away with the Reeves drive on my Jet 1442VS lathe also.

TKehl

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

muggs

What kind of motor is it. Capacitor start?    Muggs

DelawhereJoe

There are many different companies making kits to convert pool pump motors to  variable speed. There are even pool pump motors that will take 120 or 240 without switching anything, just plug and play.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Kbeitz

I love these gear boxes... Zero to 1/2 input speed...
They work great. No pulleys inside.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ozarkgem

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Larry

Quote from: lukebarber on February 13, 2017, 06:20:45 PM
I want to do away with the Reeves drive on my Jet 1442VS lathe also.

Trade it off. 

Even if you could somehow make your single phase motor into variable speed you will still be stuck with a Reeves drive. 

The second method is to retrofit a 3 phase motor and VFD but you still can't get rid of the Reeves.

The third method is to retrofit a 3 phase motor, VFD, and change out the Reeves to a 2 or 3 step pulley.  That would almost be as good as a new lathe.  I think Jet is using all Poly V belts now for added smoothness.

I guess a Zero Max would work as Kbeitz suggested but they are hard to find and new, cost more than a lathe. :o

I have retrofitted a couple nice old Rockwell lathes with step pulleys using VFD's and they worked well.

Welcome to the forum lukebarber. :)

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kbeitz

You can buy a Zero Max off E-bay cheap. I cleaned out a textile
factory and I now have around 100  Zero Max's. I thought I was
going to make a pile of money but so many textile factory's shut
down in USA that e-bay is flooded with them. I see one on E-bay
right now for $149.00.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!