iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oldschool wood-mizer sharpener

Started by Woodcutter_Mo, February 13, 2017, 10:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodcutter_Mo

Hello, last year I bought an old style automatic wood mizer sharpener (non CBN). I plan to use it on a couple spare blades I have incase I run out of sharp blades. I havnt used it yet but as far as I can tell it's complete. It came with a manual setter as well but it needs work and I will probably just buy a good setter and maybe fix this one for a spare. Any tips and tricks to setting up and using the sharpener would be great.

Also, I read somewhere that people have set these sharpeners up to use the CBN wheels like the newer style. I would be interested in doing this as long as it can be done cheaper than buying a new automatic sharpener. Has anyone here done this? Any info on parts needed for this swap would be great. Thanks
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

DGK

I switched my old drag & grind to a CBN using factory parts as it was cheaper than buying a new sharpener. I didn't add the covers. Sorry, but I do not have a parts list for you. My local Wood-mizer dealer put a package of parts together that I would need for the conversion.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Remle

This may be of help:
In the search function at the top of the page put in " manual for woodmizer sharpener "
click on Reply # 5 "Looking for a manual for a woodmizer sharpener "
When that opens up go to page 2 and look at reply 22..

Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 11:33:39 am »

Stephen from Nova Scotia posted this:

* WoodMizerLTAGA (2).pdf (3547.47 kB - downloaded 121 times.)

Click on the attachment for a copy of the woodmizer drag sharpener.

paul case

You can fix that old setter up to work as well as a new dual tooth setter If you can weld and read a micrometer.

Pineywoods did it first. I am a copycat.

I use the same type grinder you probably have. It works. Mine gets cuttings under the clamp that have to be cleaned out frequently or else the blade slips back and grinds off the top of the teeth.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

pineywoods

I converted my old wm drag sharpener to cbn. Cost under $200. You need a different cam, I made my own. I also swapped out the 12 volt drive motor for a 1/2 hp 110 ac motor. There's a post with pics in the sawmill section.  Do a search.. Same for converting the single tooth setter to dual tooth.. Both work well for me..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Woodcutter_Mo

Thanks for the tips so far, I was thinking it was on here that I had read about the CBN conversion but wasn't sure. The search bar up top doesn't work for me for some reason (maybe something with the format vs my android phone  ???, same with a couple other forums I frequent as well)  but maybe I'll stumble upon it in a Google search. Atleast I know where to look now, thanks
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Woodcutter_Mo

I did find a few posts through a Google search on the conversion, I'll keep looking and reading  :P. And I can read a micrometer fairly well, I actually sharpen alot of circular blades but band blades are all new territory to me  :o.

This sharpener came with 2 wheels and a bunch of spare band blades to practice on, so I'll probably try them out and get it going start collecting the necessary parts for the retrofit. I had called WM quite a while back and the person I talked to didn't know anything about doing this so I figured I'd get a parts list ready so I'll be more prepared next time.

BTW, I don't remember which variety of WM blades they are but the guy that gave them to me said he could only get 1 sharpen out of them and after that they didn't work anymore for him. Is there a certain WM blade that can't be re-used more than once or twice? 
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Chuck White

One sharpening is a poor lifespan!   :o

It seems like the grind wheel needs to be redressed or the book needs to read again!

On average, I get over 12 sharpenings on my Wood-Mizer 10° bands, sometimes as many as 20!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pineywoods

There is a fairly steep learning curve when using that old sharpener. Setup is critical and the wheel needs to be re-shaped frequently. Most first time users usually just mount the blade and turn it on. Guaranteed to NOT work properly. For such a simple device, a drag sharpener has some "not so obvious" gotchas that will bite you..The cbn setup is almost "mount a blade hit the go switch, no shaping the grinder wheel..Blade not cutting after sharpening...operator problem...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: Chuck White on February 14, 2017, 08:59:31 AM
One sharpening is a poor lifespan!   :o

It seems like the grind wheel needs to be redressed or the book needs to read again!

On average, I get over 12 sharpenings on my Wood-Mizer 10° bands, sometimes as many as 20!

In that case he may have given me over a dozen good blades then because other than a little dull, they look as though they have only been ran once. Because IIRC he just had told me he doesn't run that particular type after one sharpening. Seems like maybe they were "razor tip" blades, I do know they are not the "double hard" blades I run. I'll look and see if there's anything etched on them.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Woodcutter_Mo

Thought I'd post a couple pics of the sharpener and setter, the sharpener needs a good cleaning but seems to power up and everything looks like it moves freely. The grinder motor doesn't seem to have any slop in the bearings and the water pump works, the guy who sold it said the pump was new.

The setter on the other hand needs work, handle is broke and I don't really even know if it's all there.

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

ynots

How do I get a manual for an old school sharpener?  I tried the steps you mentioned but the link to the PDF isn't hyperlinked.
Thank you.

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

caveman

A friend of mine gave me a sharpener and setter like that after he unsuccessfully tried to sharpen with it. I have tried it on some damaged blades to try to get the hang of it. No joy for me either. 

On the other hand, the man who sharpens our bands is a retired WM employee and he uses the same sharpener with a diamond wheel and the blades he sharpens for us cut as well or better than new ones. 

He has told me numerous times that when he worked for WM and someone would mention that they were going to buy a sharpener that he would reply, "good, we are going to sell you a lot of blades".  I know that many folks have used them with good results but so far too much Dr. Seussery for me to figure out. 
Caveman

petefrom bearswamp

I quit using my drag sharpener 5 yrs ago and went to re sharp.
Always hated using it but it did a pretty good job but a lot of fussing.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!