iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The chainsaw mill worked!

Started by josh j, February 13, 2017, 12:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josh j

Yesterday i used the Granberg Mill with the 880.  It worked great for my first time.   I had plenty of help and i hardly had to push on the saw.   

Should i be coating the entire slab with some sort of bug spray or anti fungal something?

I am using wet wood stakes as sticker(temporarily).  what size and type of wood should i be using?

the slabs i cut are 6' long by 3" thick.   i have a real nice 12' log to slab next.   is there a ideal thickness i should be cutting the slabs to?   I would like to make tables with these slabs.

i coated all the ends with anchor seal.   also i was using a stihl chain with the 30 degree angle, and every other 2 cutters cut in half, and it gave a fairly smooth cut.   

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mad murdock

Welcome to your new addiction!!!! Looks real nice. If you sticker and store covered up, I think you will be ok. As long as air can circulate I would be surprised if you have negative effects from mold or mildew.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Savannahdan

Very nice slabs.  Thanks for sharing. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WV Sawmiller

Josh,

Those are really pretty slabs. I'm envious.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

josh j

Yes i believe it is white Oak.   Thanks

fishfighter

Brad_bb

Nice.  I wasn't sure what wood it was.  Bark looked like ash, but wood looks more like elm I thought. 

Ideally you want stickers from the same wood.  Ideally dry.  Other species will sticker stain, wet of the same could sticker stain.  I've used wet when I needed to understanding that there could be some stain.  I just had some ash like that, that stained deep.  I planed a bunch off(almost 1/4") but still some shadow of stain where the stickers were.

Since it is Oak, fog the stacked stickered wood with Timbor.  I use an old Stihl backpack sprayer that finely atomizes the spray.  Fogging means you will use/need less product.  Spraying will consume more to cover the same area.  I learned with with my vineyard.  I was using so much material when I was spraying until someone clued me in that all you need is a thin mist coating that you can get form a finely atomized fogging.  Wear breathing and eye protection.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

josh j

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

69bronco

Nice looking oak, looks like your having fun! The most important thing about stickers is that they are dry. I've been using 1x1 pine and poplar stickers for the last 30 or so years. Never had a problem with stain from the stickers.

OffGrid973

Welcome aboard, glad to see someone happy with the chainsaw mill, great job.  Take the cutoffs, run them through your tablesaw / planer and make some 1x1 or 2x2 that are perfect square and you will always reuse them.  Same species makes sense this way you avoid one possible issue down the road.  If you get lots of movement because not enough weight throw some blocks on where you have it stickered but make sure the base is solid.  I have one walnut stack drying flat I think as it currently resembles the tower of Pisa :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

paul case

Looks like Post Oak to me.

Nice slabs.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ToddsPoint

The bark looks like ash and the wood looks like English walnut.  Whatever it is, congrats on some dandy slabs.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Thank You Sponsors!