iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What size wedges do you use?

Started by alabama, February 12, 2017, 09:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alabama

I'm not certain which size wedges to go with. I'm purchasing them through Stihl. They come in 5.5 and 7.5 size. I'm setting up the chainsaw mill soon and of course need to take down some trees prior to it getting here.

What size do you recommend and how many do you really need? Thanks everyone!
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

btulloh

I tend to use the smalled ones more. one of each is a good plan. two is enough unless you scatter them around like me.
HM126

WV Sawmiller

I bought 3-8" wedges. I seldom use more than 2 but I like having the option to place them in 2 spots and still double up on one if I need to. Stihl is one of our sponsors and I can also vouch for the Comstock logging guys as to quality and price and very responsive.

War Eagle.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

btulloh

HM126

Brad_bb

I have a lot of plastic 8" and 10" wedges.  I keep 3pr handy when chain saw milling (CSM).  These are to put in the kerf as you cut.  You need a lot more for your ladder for the first opening cut.  Smaller ones are good.  You need  enough to stabilize the ladder well.  I have a bunch of wood ones I made on the table saw for this purpose.  Maybe 8pr?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

4x4American

3 at minimum.  K&H Redheads my favorite.  Not sure what lengh but the middle sized ones.  Depends on your location and what you're cutting.  I would say 7.5" given your options.  Anything Stihl makes is going to work well.
Boy, back in my day..

redprospector

For taking down trees, it depends on what size trees you're taking down, and how critical your directional falling is. The larger wedge you use for falling trees the better the lift it has. If your trees are in the 18" range, a 7 1/2" wedge should be sufficient, provided you don't use a tack hammer to drive them, but I'd carry at least 4. It's better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

alabama

I'll get a few of both and thanks everyone for the help!

longtime lurker

I dunno. I hump that much junk with me out into the weeds that a few more pound dont matter. I prefer aluminium, and in those Ox Head are far and away the best quality on the market. Not cheap but they'll take more pounding by far then anything else I've had the displeasure to flog at with a sledge.

I always try and have a couple of the smaller plastic ones for small trees because I dont feel bad about eating at them with a chain. Cheapest ones I can find.... if I dont eat the front of them to the point I cant grind a new tip on I'll snap them with the hammer sooner or later. I'll swear they all come out the same factory in China anyway.

My favouritest wedge for serious lifting is the big yellow one called D7G. :D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Kbeitz

I really don't like the cheap ones. they break in half when hammering
on them.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

Quote from: longtime lurker on February 13, 2017, 03:04:38 AM

When it comes to big yellow ones I prefer a hoe lol

Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

I did come from the Loveliest Village on the Plains - I thought that is what I had already said.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

azmtnman

Quote from: 4x4American on February 13, 2017, 07:26:17 AM

[/quote]
Even if we never make much money, we have the best "offices" in the world!
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

buzzegray

I cut a bunch(12-24) of different sizes out of very hard wood . If I cut into them or loose them, no big deal.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: buzzegray on February 13, 2017, 11:32:37 AM
I cut a bunch(12-24) of different sizes out of very hard wood . If I cut into them or loose them, no big deal.

Good point. Dad and his older brother when they were kids cut a big persimmon tree, took and old axe head as a wedge and split the sections into boards about an inch thick, stacked them up and soaked with old burnt motor oil and sold them all to local loggers over the next year or so. I guess the loggers cut a point on them with an axe or hatchet.

Persimmon and dogwood are very hard and were always known as good wedge woods.
Howard Green

Dave Shepard

Quote from: 4x4American on February 13, 2017, 07:26:17 AM
Quote from: longtime lurker on February 13, 2017, 03:04:38 AM

When it comes to big yellow ones I prefer a hoe lol

I prefer to leave the stump on. Saves digging it out later.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

This was a special tree, covered in metal.  I cut where there was a clear path for the saw as far as I could tell.  Cut 6-7 trees for them that day maybe a month ago, all of them had metal.  I was able to not hit any  8)

But it did cancel me doing it in turn for the logs
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Do u mean cutting it low to leave the stump on the log?  It's getting dug out anwhere there's a house and garage going here.  Frost walls and concrete floors, so it's getting dug out anyways.  Now that I think
back, whenever I cut trees for these guys, they never once have mentioned if they want it cut low or high.  10 times out of 9 if they're removing a tree they're digging the stump out too.  On smaller trees they usually dig around and push it over.  Bigger ones they call me in  ;D
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

WV,

I heard that they was tigers there, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

Yes and even large raptors.
Howard Green

WDH

4x4American

What the heck ams you guys talking about  ??? ??? ???    :D
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

War Eagles and Plainsmen and Tigers.  It is all so confusing  :)

4x4American

lol thanks, I got that part down to a science lol
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

Since you did grow up in the SEC you aren't familiar with the various Auburn legends. We are the Auburn Tigers with a mascot as the War Eagle. Auburn is known as The Lovliest Village on the Plains hence the Plainsman label. Always good to help edycate our Northern Brethren.
Howard Green

4x4American

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 14, 2017, 08:18:53 PM
   Since you did grow up in the SEC you aren't familiar with the various Auburn legends. We are the Auburn Tigers with a mascot as the War Eagle. Auburn is known as The Lovliest Village on the Plains hence the Plainsman label. Always good to help edycate our Northern Brethren.

muchos konichiwas  coocoo_clock coocoo_clock
Boy, back in my day..

alabama

WDH

Howard,

When I was the Procurement Manager for the Flint River Pulpmill, I had three managers reporting to me, and all three were Auburn graduates.

So, I asked them in a meeting one day, "What does an Auburn graduate call a Georgia graduate?"  I got no response, so I told them the answer.....

"BOSS"  :D.

WV Sawmiller

I worked for a Ga Bulldog grad on a project in Mongolia in 2006. There are things in life worse than a War Eagle having to work for a Dawg. Give me enough time and I am sure I can think of one...  :D :D(Actually he was a real good guy from Albany Ga.)

No comments from the Pink Pachyderms are needed. ;D
Howard Green

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!