iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Older 225 vibration

Started by Ridge235, February 12, 2017, 07:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridge235

Started feeling a vibration in the machine as I turn. Can't feel anything when turning at very slow speeds or while stationary. But when I'm in 2nd gear and cruising along then make a 90 degree turn I pick up vibration that seems to be coming from one of the driveshafts?? Any ideas for me to look into? Thanks

ohiowoodchuck

Check the rear one I believe. Does your winch driveshaft turn all the time too. I know on my 440 that would be the only two affected when it turns.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Ridge235

Yes it sure does..the vib seems to slowly getting worse thanks Ohio

Neilo

On a 225, it is the transfer case input and the front driveshaft that moves when you turn. Chock the wheels and put everything in neutral and see what play you get at unis and bearing supports.

dixmont

Check your drive line phasing it is very Important on those machines if it is not done right you will have a vibration.ther is a diagram in the timberjack service manual

bushmechanic

Dixmont is dead on, the driveline is out of phase. I'm willing to bet you changed a u-joint a while ago and since then you are getting a vibration.

deerguy

Gents,
I would never question the expertise on this Forum and Bushmechanic is always bang on....but....my 330 started out with a noise/vibration while turning etc etc and it cost me a planetary, sun gear and an axle. If all the drivelines check out you might want to consider the wheel ends. I'll never know for sure due to the catastrophic failure, but our belief is the ring gear was cracked thru first. It'll cost you a couple hours and a tube of silicone to know for sure. Simply MHO

Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

millcreek40

I had a 225 that did that once. The big nut on the output shaft behind the unjoint was loose. Tighten it up and problem was solved.  Good luck
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

Ridge235

Thanks guys can someone explain driveline phasing?

Ken

Lots of good points so far but start with the simple things.  Ensure that there is not a universal that is wore out.  That is where I would start.  Phasing the driveline is ensuring that the yokes are lined up properly.  Being out 1 spline or more can cause a vibration and eventually lots of damage.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Ridge235

Okay thank you yes good idea..i did dig up an old manual that krusty sent me off his 60's machine and I now have a better understanding.

mf40diesel

That is a really awesome video.  Thank you
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

coxy

isn't there a carrier bearing in there on the bottom drive shaft that maybe bad also

bushmechanic

Your absolutely right deerguy  ::) there could very well problems elsewhere and I more than likely jumped the gun (I tend to do that from time to time). I should have asked more questions like Ridge235 did you change a u-joint lately? Did you check the steady bearing on the front diff driveshaft? Have you checked all the u-joints? The phasing problem presents itself as a bad chatter in the gearbox when turning and is more noticeable the greater the speed. Planetary problems can be seen as steam coming from the hub on a cold day due to the increased heat generated inside when pins go bad. You can always pull a drain plug and check the condition of the oil for metal particles. Not to worry Ridge235 all the forestry forum members got your back, this is why I love it on here!   

Ridge235

Haven't noticed any issue w planetaries..once in a while occasionally a few drops will accumulate on a rim. I'm actually not going to be near the machine for almost a week but I will thoroughly check the u joints and thru bearings amoung the other stuff you guys have helped me with. I love this machine but am a greenhorn mechanically but getting better. Thanks for all the help and I will post and update asap!

coxy

you wont be a greenhorn for long in the logging  :D :D

Puffergas

Quote from: bushmechanic on February 13, 2017, 06:02:12 PM
  Planetary problems can be seen as steam coming from the hub on a cold day due to the increased heat generated inside when pins go bad.

Hmmm, so a fella could check the temp of your hubs with one of those IR laser gun temperature meters..?
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Spartan

Just have a guy walk next to it with his hand on the planetary housing and ears open while you drive up a steep bank fully cocked to one side, then the other.
That can tell you real quick if you got some planetary woes.

David-L

The upper carrier bushing can make that vibration happen.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Mountain_d

Thanks for the video link. I now know I need to mark the shaft alignment before changing a u joint. I would not have done that.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Thank You Sponsors!