iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need bigger bumper spikes for my MS 261

Started by George Zarifis, February 12, 2017, 01:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Zarifis

I was recently felling some dead trees and I had a hard time getting a grip on the logs with the stock bumper spikes that came with the saw. I have heard some guys have taken bumper spikes from bigger saws, like the 661 and retrofit them on their 261. I know there are custom spikes available but those are quite expensive. I wonder if someone here has done this modification so I could know if this is possible. Thanks! 
digin_2
Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

I think a truck full of tools will do...

Kbeitz

You can get some really BIG ones off E-bay....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gspren

What type trees require the bigger spikes? Around here the stock spikes work fine but some go bigger for looks, reminds me of the fake hood scopes people put on otherwise stock cars back in the 60s-70s.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

George Zarifis

Those trees were leaning and when I made I cut perpendicular to the ground the sprocket cover hit the trunk before the spikes did. Also, the bark was quite rotten and the spikes couldn't penetrate it deep enough to get a good grip...
Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

HolmenTree

George, you have a good point there.
If you're MS261 is not the latest upgraded model with the new sprocket cover and has no 2 hole mounting area . Find a used cover off another pro Stihl and mount the dog to it.

The wonderful thing about Stihl design is the sprocket cover is interchangeable between a 024 all the way up to a MS660.
OEM part# 1125 640 1701
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

DelawhereJoe

The 362 c-m that I have has no holes in the cover either, but it does have the spot for it. I think you need a 5mm bit to drill out the spot made for it. Ebay should have all kinds of spikes of various shapes, sizes, colours and quality.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

George Zarifis

Thank you very much. This will be a very welcomed addition to my saw!

George Zarifis

QuoteIf you're MS261 is not the latest upgraded model with the new sprocket cover and has no 2 hole mounting area .

Yes, my 261 is the older version, with no extra holes. However I'm not sure if I would be willing to sacrifice the captive nuts for a second set of spikes. But this brings me to another thought: what if the sprocket cover from the new model fits the older one? That would be really nice...

George Zarifis

QuoteThe 362 c-m that I have has no holes in the cover either, but it does have the spot for it. I think you need a 5mm bit to drill out the spot made for it. Ebay should have all kinds of spikes of various shapes, sizes, colours and quality.

When you said there was a spot for the twin spikes I imagined that I would have to drill two holes on the cover and try to make the two spikes somewhat aligned. I wouldn't have thought that there would be dedicated hex pockets for the nuts to sit in and even center pionts for drilling the holes! I have to say I'm very impressed! That's what they call german engineering! Tomorrow, first thing in the morning I'm going to order the biger spikes directly from Stihl (part numbers 1122 664 0506 and 1122 664 0501). Thanks very much for letting me know these things existed. It would have taken me a long time to find out...

Hm, three concecutive posts... I guess this shows how excited I am! Thanks guys for creating such a friendly environment for newbies like me!

park ranger

I took a bigger dog off an old saw and vice gripped it to the small dog on my ms361.  Then I took both off and tig welded them together ( the bigger dogs holes didn't line up)  The 361 had an original small set kind of close to no dog at all.  This mod didn't cost a dime.   

George Zarifis

The bigger spikes just arrived the other day. Actually it was a week ot two ago but i had some issues uploading the photos. Unfortunately the Stihl warehouse in Greece only had the inside spikes in stock. I might order the outside ones online some time. Anyway, the fit very nicely and I only had to file a small notch on the spikes to make them fit, while the holes lined up exactly. They are not huge but certainly better than the stock ones. I'm very pleased with this upgrade. Enjoy the photos...

George Zarifis

Chainsawr doesn't have the part I need either...

John Mc

Just don't get into the habit of using your new larger spikes as an excuse not to keep the chains sharp: dull chain = less safe, harder on equipment, and harder on the operator.

A Game of Logging instructor around here used to complain that too many people used felling dogs as "dull chain over-rides".

I took the dogs off my 50cc saw and replaced them with a smooth bumper. They just got in the way for limbing or bucking smaller diameter wood.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

George Zarifis

Thanks for the advice. I always sharpen my chains every time the gas tanks empties. I consider a sharp chain to be one of the innocent joys of life :) I use a Stihl FF1 file guide and I find it very fast easy to use. The results are also pretty nice.

Thank You Sponsors!