iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Against my better judgement...

Started by hopm, February 11, 2017, 05:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopm

I have a former student who ask me about sawing power poles for him. Great kid....I couldn't say no. I know he is going to need them longer than my mill capacity. With that being, said what are some tips some of you may lend me. I know there will be metal. I know I will need to move them in the cut. And I have no idea how many. Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Magicman

I could say NO, and then give him some schooling as to why.  You are never too old to learn.  (old saying)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

I've sawed hundreds of them maybe over a thousand.  Don't saw the bottoms that treated with the heavy black creosote, some of the tops are treated lightly and some not at all, keep the wind at your back as with any sawing. Metal is no problem if they are gone over good, the most of the metal I run into is in the inside of the pole. The cedar ones saw real easy and the lodge pole pine are rather hard for pine.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

hopm

I met him coming through town with a load and none were dark with creosote. They were all almost white...slight greenish tinge.

Magicman

Since you are in N. Carolina, there is a high probability that the poles are SYP and the green treatment could be a number of things:  chromated copper arsenate, copper naphthenate, ammoniacal copper arsenate, or ammoniacal copper zinc arsenate.  The entire pole will be treated, not just the bottom.

The sawing will go fine because you will not have the blade issues associated with creosote.  Run your blade lube full force to try to kill as much dust as possible.  Wear a respirator and be very careful with your dust coated clothes after sawing.  You will be releasing chemicals that are highly regulated and were never intended to be released.  What are your plans for capturing, containing, and disposing of the sawdust?

As previously stated, I would decline sawing them but since you are, protect yourself, any bystanders, and whoever will be doing your laundry. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Your mill and your health but from everything I have read on this forum about cutting power poles I would walk this one back, apologize profusely but "reluctantly" decline after further review.

Sometimes the juice just ain't worth the squeeze.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

pineywoods

Most people who want power poles sawn think they will get treated lumber...NOT..The treatment doesn't go all the way through. I let myself get talked into splitting some large ones for posts.  Never again. Not worth taking a chance of messing up your lungs. I would say NO and explain why...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Brad_bb

It's one thing if they are non-treated cedar.  I wouldn't do it unless I could confirm this.   
The dust, your lungs, your skin, and your washing machine are the issues with either treated or Creosote as MM said. Not worth the risks to me.  Metal would be the least of your issues. 

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Sixacresand

I milled some power poles for a friend.  I took all the precautions I could think of:  dust mask, stayed up wind, long sleeves and gloves and captured all the sawdust in trash bags.  I still got light headed from the fumes and skin irritations.  There is also the metal.  I recommend wearing old pants and shirt and just discarding them due to the odor.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Peter Drouin

No way for me, Did it one time back a long time ago, Never again.
Weeks and Weeks for the smell to go away where I was cutting.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

square1

...slight greenish tinge.
the green treatment could be a number of things:  chromated copper arsenate, copper naphthenate, ammoniacal copper arsenate, or ammoniacal copper zinc arsenate.

To resist corrosive attack metal fasteners used in construction with these chemicals have specialty coatings. From what material is your mill constructed?

WDH

At least you self-confessed that it is against your better judgement.  At least, you warned yourself. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ox

See all these smart fellers saying don't do it?  That's enough for me.
A guy down the road sawed some power poles.  Nothing grew where he sawed for a long time.  Which means it poisoned the ground.  Even a large oil or fuel leak, grass will grow back in a year or two.  Not with the stuff in power poles.
Please tell the good kid no, for both your sakes.
The round poles can still be used for a pole barn type building or for deck posts for in the ground contact.  I wouldn't mill them.  I never milled any, but I don't want to either.  I'd refuse.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Magicman

Not milling utility poles is like most everything else in that there is no "correct" answer.  As ladylake (Steve) mentioned above, the treatment of poles in different regions of the country is different.  Only the portion of WRC and some other species poles that contact the ground are treated.  You can jump the butt off and saw some usable lumber without any danger.

Chop Shop

I only saw them if they are old growth cedar.   I cant get new old growth, so I take it where I can and old poles here are a good source.

I wont cut any other poles.  Why? we have nice fir logs here, no reason to cut poles.

All the cedar ones I have cut are either raw, or treated with Pentachlorophenol "Penta".  They usually have a tag tailed to them.

Thank You Sponsors!