iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kohler Question

Started by Dewey, February 09, 2017, 03:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewey

I recently put a EFI Kohler Engine on my mill...  I have been pretty happy with it, it seems to be about 30% fuel savings... I've notice the engine light comes on when first started but shuts off when engine warms up....Today it stayed on the whole time I sawed....  But it is -0 degrees F . I sawed until the snowstorm we are having made it tough to see...
My question is why is the light staying on is it because of the cold temp or could there be a underlying issue? The engine seems to be running great .

thecfarm

POSTONLT40HD posted a link in this thread.

EFI Kohler link
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MartyParsons

Hello,
  You can go here.  http://www.kohlerengines.com/manuals/landing.htm

You can turn the key on and off three cycles with the engine off. Leave the key on after the third cycle. The light should start blinking.  electricuted-smiley  You then need to have some paper and record the blinks.

Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My light used to work but now it doesn't.
When you first crank your Kohler, its suppose to come on and then go off.
Mine used to and then it got to where it would sometimes.

As long has my engine is running fine, I don't worry about that little light.
If I need to read a code, I can hook up my electrical tester. It has a light in the handle and I can read the codes.

Watch this You Tube video. You really need to get familiar with the content.
It will help you understand a lot about your Kohler.
SOMEBODY will have to use this software to pin point a problem, repair it and reset the ECU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvnLro8o_yQ
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Brucer

The light will stay on if there is an error code. The EFI computer monitors various engine functions and if they exceed their normal limits, a falult code is created.

As Marty says, turn the key on 3 times in quick succession, without starting the engine. Leave it on the third time and the red light will start to blink at you. Have something ready to record the number of blinks.

All the codes are 2 digits long. There will always be a "61" code, which means "end of sequence". If the first code you see is "61", then there are no fault codes recorded. A "61" codes will blink at you 6 times, pause, and blink once.

The Kohler engine manual has a list of the fault codes in section 5B. If you nave a Wood-Mizer engine manual (dark grey) it has a copy of the relevant sections of the Kohler manual. And if you don't have any information, post any codes you get and I'll tell you what they mean.

Quite often these codes will clear themselves if the engine was just misbehaving for a short while. If it seems to be running fine and you still get a fault code, there's a procedure for clearing the codes (which I can tell you if you don't have a manual).

I was running my mill for a while when it was -16°C, or about 3°F (no, I wasn't sawing). The engine ran fine (after I remembered that the tank still had summer gas in it, and refilled it with winter gas).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Dewey

Thanks Brucer !!  It is colder today so I am taking the day off LOL....  If the light still comes on I will try to get the code...

Thank You Sponsors!