iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATV mini skidder

Started by Jd87, February 09, 2017, 08:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jd87

How many people use their ATV for pulling firewood for themselves?A tractor wasn't in my cards so I decided to build something after having dragged out a few cords with just a chain and the butt of the log in the ground here's what I came up with

Jd87

thecfarm

Looks like you got quite a bit behind it. You use what you have. And be safe.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodcutter_Mo

Looks like you have a prety good system. Mine isn't quite as good, but works. I use a set of log tongs attached to the rear of the ATV.
For the smaller stuff I made a trailer for hauling firewood. Works good for getting to firewood in areas where I can't get the truck or tractor and when it's not worth cutting a trail. In fact, most of my firewood I used last year was hauled up with the ATV.

Here's my little trailer

-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

A word of caution when hooked high on the back of an ATV, if the log catches a stump/rock when moving along they can stand on end or go over backwards quick!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: gspren on February 09, 2017, 01:22:30 PM
  A word of caution when hooked high on the back of an ATV, if the log catches a stump/rock when moving along they can stand on end or go over backwards quick!

X2! I had actually planned on making a trailer type log arch because it would be safer than hooking high on the rear of the ATV because I have had the front end jump up before  :o. Hooking directly to the ATV does provide some incredible traction though. But use extreme caution, and also make sure what ever you use can't come loose and whip the tar out of you if it detached from the log under load!

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

DaveP

For me the LOGRITE log arch is the way to go.  Very easy to get around in the woods and everything is off the ground.  ATV handles it with ease.

upnut

Nice looking set-up! You might look into running a "pull chain" from your 2" receiver hitch in addition to your winch. In other words, winch to lift and hitch to pull. My Dad pulled some big logs with a small tractor with that set-up.....but be careful!

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Wudman

Woodcutter_Mo,

Nice setup with the trailer.  I've thought about something similar for my 4 wheeler.  How does it handle going downhill?  I had a very unpleasant experience years ago with an out of control trailer (actually a pair of grain wagons).  Thanks.

Wudman 
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: Wudman on March 03, 2017, 09:41:16 AM
Woodcutter_Mo,

Nice setup with the trailer.  I've thought about something similar for my 4 wheeler.  How does it handle going downhill?  I had a very unpleasant experience years ago with an out of control trailer (actually a pair of grain wagons).  Thanks.

Wudman

Thanks, I added electric brakes to one of the axles and that helps a ton. Before I added brakes, getting stuck going up hill with too much weight and having to back down the hill was worst part  :o, but as long as you learn to load the trailer according to the terrain it handles well. The walking-beam axles also help alot.

Here's the same trailer with the removable 4'x6' bed on it for moving wood that's already cut to length. I still need to add some boards to the side rails to keep the smaller diameter pieces from rolling out the sides.

And it's hard to see in the pic, but I have the electric brake controller mounted on the handlebars.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Wudman

[q
[/quote]

Thanks, I added electric brakes to one of the axles and that helps a ton. Before I added brakes, getting stuck going up hill with too much weight and having to back down the hill was worst part  :o, but as long as you learn to load the trailer according to the terrain it handles well. The walking-beam axles also help alot.

Cool.  I was thinking that electric brakes would be an option.  In my case I was pulling two loaded grain wagons out of our low grounds with an F-250 pickup.  Coming up a steep hill, I broke a motor mount and the fan went into the radiator.  No power....lost the power assist on the brakes.......360 bushels of corn pulling me backwards down a hill......and over a terrace.  Don't care to do that again.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

sublime68charger

link to the build I set up.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=90598.0

dont' have to worry so much about the ATV rearing up on me.

more on the my Arch build is located here
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294895

if your interested that is.

are you mostly on flat ground?

looks like steering might be a problem?

How is your winch mounted to the ATV?

if it works and your safe running the ATV.
more power to you!

pinefeller

my atv (still not finished)

if i did it again id go the wheeler route. wouldnt look as cool but waaaay more practical .... i like you buttplate/fender setup, simple and clean. do the logs hang off the winch or do you transfer the chokers to the machine once they are pulled in?
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

dave_dj1

J5 Bombardier?
I would love to have one of those. Or is it a SW48?
If it's the latter, how does it go in deep snow?

pinefeller

sw48, well the chassis anyhow.....ehhh on the snow. if its flat and you keep packing down the trails after every time snows its ok (i upgraded, look to the left in the little box) so its just a novelty at the moment.

i still want to know if the logs hang off the winch on the atv setup (i blew up the planetary on my winch doing that and its a 10k milemarker)
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

sublime68charger

I can only speak for the setup I run and I use the winch on mine to pull the tree up to the arch and then tie the log off to the arch and let the winch line hang loose till on the ATV and down the trail I go and then hook the winch back up to lower the tree back down to the ground.

I was worried about putting undue strain on the winch using that to keep the log tied up to the arch when going down the trail.

I have used my system for 1 appx 1 cord of firewood pulled and so far the winch has held up just fine.
Its a Warn 3,500# with a Rope.

Pine Feller that looks like quite the unit.
How fast will it go? 

pinefeller

faster than you want to go lol, maybe 25mph i wish it actually had a deeper first and reverse. ill have to weld some slides on the butt plate to transfer the weight of the logs to. so i dont kill another winch.

what happened to the dude that started the post?

dave_dj1

pinefeller, that is a nice upgrade! LOL 8)

pinefeller

figured if im goin to run everyone eleses junk (logging)and have to work on it i might as well get my own so it can be on my terms and without all the drama whether it will be much more profitable is still up for debate. :D 8)
the bomber was originally built to clean up my woodlot but the skidder happened (like most pregnancies)oops!  so i ran that all winter to get the bugs out before i hang out my shinge (officially)

r.man

I have run an atv with two small chains hanging logs just off the ground, not a problem with a bit of discretion. This is another one of those things that are better done by someone who knows that they are not 10 feet tall and bulletproof, or in this case 6 feet tall and untippable. If I were to build or have an arch, some day maybe, I would consider having one like one of the Norwoods. The larger Skidmate uses easy lift tech for the log and the Skidlite can be winched into the air for ease of reversing. Of all the arches I have seen on the web I like the look of these the best for skidding behind an atv. You can see video's in the sponsors ad to the left.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Thank You Sponsors!