iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Video of WM manual toe board and turner??

Started by Brad_bb, February 08, 2017, 07:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Brad aren't you setup inside a concrete shop?  If that was the case for me I would just put some dunnage underneath the sawmill on each end where you're going to want the toeboards and just use a bottle jack but weld on a U shaped lift point so that it don't slip off.  Then just switch it to where you need it.  As for a turner, you could put a gantry crane over your sawmill and have a hook on the end to wrap around.  Idk if this would be worthwhile but if you want to save your back I could see it being.  At that point if you put a gantry overhead you wouldn't need toeboards just lift whatever end of the log and put dunnage under it.  My neighbor put a gantry in his garage for cheap.  An old I beam at the scrap yard, some posts and a harbor freight trolley winch.
Boy, back in my day..

Dakota

Here's a pretty good solution.  I didn't build this, just thought it was an easy build for someone.

Dave Rinker

paul case

Quote from: 4x4American on February 11, 2017, 10:06:04 AM
Brad aren't you setup inside a concrete shop?  If that was the case for me I would just put some dunnage underneath the sawmill on each end where you're going to want the toeboards and just use a bottle jack but weld on a U shaped lift point so that it don't slip off.  Then just switch it to where you need it. 

Good point. I should say that the sawmill that I did this to....

Had 4 clamps so I always put the clamp on the big end to keep the log from rolling off the jack. A free rolling log can get you hurt in a hurry. I dont want to read about anyone here being killed or maimed by a careless mistake.
I also used a engine hoist to turn logs on a circle mill I had. I dont have any pics of it but I simply put it behind my carrriage(log deck on a band mill) and had a hook from a cant hook on a chain to hook under the log some and as I jacked the engine hoist up it turned the log. It would turn some bigguns too. Really cost effective and anyone could do that. It would not take up too much room behind the mill and you could lift it above the head if you didnt have room to roll it away.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Brad_bb

Thanks for the video carykong!!! 

I am inside on concrete, but I don't want bottle jacks and dunnage which would make it even more difficult cleaning up.  We keep our saw dust and planing chips swept up as the chips can pile up quick.  I'm looking for a more elegant solution.  The ideal toe board for me would be a pivoting toe board with a rotary actuator (electric).  with the weight of logs and turning, I definitely would not want to be using the building structure. A 35+ year old pole barn is not designed for that.  I'm going to be changing buildings in a couple years too.  A turner mounted on the mill would again be more elegant and compact solution.   
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

:-*   smiley_thumbsup_grin smiley_gorgeous

Elegant. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

At my place Elegant and sawing wood go together like a tap dancer in the turnip patch, New saying.

I applaud you for wanting to keep it nice and tidy. ;)

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

4x4American

You don't need to use the building structure.  You could fabricate a movable gantry on casters, or buy one for that matter.  I liked Paul's engine hoist too.  It was just a thought, wasn't sure how desperate you were.  Elegant and cheap two different things.

Have you thought about using pneumatic rams?  Shop air would be easy enough to plumb in, wouldn't have to worry about all the intricacies that hydraulics brings. 
Boy, back in my day..

D6c

This is what I did for now....modified trailer jack on a sliding rail.

47sawdust

D6c,
That must be an older Mizer.I like the add on bunks,very elegant.The toeboard is great as well,but once I got down there I might not get back up.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

D6c

Quote from: 47sawdust on February 11, 2017, 04:15:23 PM
D6c,
That must be an older Mizer.I like the add on bunks,very elegant.The toeboard is great as well,but once I got down there I might not get back up.

It's an '87 manual LT40 (does have power feed)...less than 200 hrs on it.  I added the risers so it would saw down to 1"....originally you couldn't saw much less than 2"

Slingshot

That is me in the video that D6c posted earlier turning a log with 12volt winch.
That is a 3700 Warn winch and worked great.
  Here are parts of another video showing me using the electric winch to par-buckle
a large poplar from a trailer onto the mill and then, after re-attaching the cable
to the claw turner, turning the log and turning three 6inch thick slabs up-right to mill
into 2X6's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKCcCxLLVWw&feature=youtu.be

bags

I do the redneck thing too. I have a scissor jack mounted on the HM130 for a toe board. I have a socket attached and operate it with a 20V Dewalt drill--- power up, power down--- slicker than the slime on a girl frogs a$$ (old say'in).

Brad_bb

I am a degreed Mechanical Engineer.  I was raised on the farm, built and fixed lots of stuff growing up.  I was the only one in my engineering class who could weld and fabricate and rebuilt an engine in the dorm parking lot in a day(which would not have been allowed if I got caught).  So I know the difference between a design that is functional and gets the primary job done, and a design that is elegant- gets the job done cleanly, efficiently, and looks good doing it.   ;D

Magicman

And also be on the receiving end of a bit of elegant ribbing.  :D

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.  (old saying)  Pride and satisfaction in our work is sometimes the only reward that we get.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Well then post what you come up with, don't need this dummies advice
Boy, back in my day..

kensfarm

I used a scissor jack for a while..  but it bit the dust on the heavy logs.. bent out of shape.  It will be interesting to see what you design. 

Brad_bb

Quote from: 4x4American on February 11, 2017, 11:28:42 PM
Well then post what you come up with, don't need this dummies advice

The trade off is that I may not be fast.  Just ask the guys that waited for me to CSM that locust log.  All advice welcome.  You never know where the spark for the best idea will come from.  ;D

47sawdust

Given your background I'm sure you will come up with the right solution to fit your needs.Personally I like understated elegance in any design.It just means walking around the project many times until the "aha" moment comes.Sometimes it never comes and sometimes I'm guilty of overthinking the DanG thing and kicking myself in the keyster for being such a dope.
The LT15 frame certainly lends itself to home brew mods. I'm not familiar with linear actuators,but a stand alone electric hyd.powerpack  seems like a good start.MSG sawmills were designed by an aircraft engineer for Boeing.You might find some inspiration there.He used a lot of the L/A technology.I believe I saw an article in a back issue of Sawmill & woodlot about the MSG mill.
Best of luck
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Brad_bb

I mentioned rotary actuator, but a linear actuator could be used as well.  My first job out of school was designing rotary actuators for aircraft(fly by wire), which eliminated the hydraulics.

Darrel

I understand elegance and functionality. There have been many ideas posted on this thread that are quite functional, some of them more elegant than others. So you take a bottle jack or a floor jack and attach it to the frame of the LT15 and voila, a hydraulic toe board. But what is it that keeps this very functional toe board from being elegant?

Actuation. The human actuator has to go actuate the toe board costing the operation both time and money. Wood-Mizer has done a good job when it comes to elegance of design. And as discussed earlier in this thread, the manual mills don't hit the mark quite as well as the hydraulic mills.

Aesthetics. There's a reason why Wood-Mizer doesn't put bottle jack toe boards on their mills. They would look like they were right out of Red Green's work shop.

Ease of use. Here in is the lack of elegance in the design of the manual mills.

So anyway, m2¢w
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Brad_bb

Quote from: Darrel on February 12, 2017, 12:20:35 PM
So you take a bottle jack or a floor jack and attach it to the frame of the LT15 and voila, a hydraulic toe board. But what is it that keeps this very functional toe board from being elegant?

1. If sitting on the floor or dunnage, it gets in the way of sweeping up the pile of dust and chips under the mill. 2. Bottle jacks in my experience are strong, but slow.  They only move a small amount with each pump.  The pump handle also need to be used from the operator's side.  There may or may not be enough room to get the handle in and use the full stroke.  If not, that would not be elegant. 

I'd rather have a toggle switch mounted on the mill near the front end so I can hold the tape measure with one hand and the toggle with the other to move the log end up and down til I'm satisfied. That would be elegant.

Don't worry, I can take the ribbing guys.  Where I'm from, busting on your friends is a sign of acceptance.

btulloh

I'm working on an elegant design too. while that is backed up in r&d and fabrication I'm using this plus a little scissor jack. total of forty bucks and 15 minutes invested. better than wedges, not quite as good as the elegant solution that's coming.  takes about 2 minutes to level a log.

HM126

Darrel

Quote from: Brad_bb on February 12, 2017, 02:53:51 PM

1. If sitting on the floor or dunnage, it gets in the way of sweeping up the pile of dust and chips under the mill. 2. Bottle jacks in my experience are strong, but slow.  They only move a small amount with each pump.  The pump handle also need to be used from the operator's side.  There may or may not be enough room to get the handle in and use the full stroke.  If not, that would not be elegant. 

I'd rather have a toggle switch mounted on the mill near the front end so I can hold the tape measure with one hand and the toggle with the other to move the log end up and down til I'm satisfied. That would be elegant.

Yup!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

plowboyswr

You might want to take a closer look at Slingshot's set up on his lt30. 1 winch to run the turner and the toe board would work, you never use them at the same time. Just unhook off of one to use the other you wouldn't forget and leave the toe boards up when turning. Get a winch with a wireless remote then it could be operated from anywhere. Yellowhammer had a winch operated claw turner on his 15, has some pictures in his gallery of it. Pineywoods has some very good plans on the turner in his Homemade Hydraulics thread. Lots of good inspiration from all three of those. 
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Ga Mtn Man

FF member Larry built these years ago for his old Kasco mill.  They were winch-actuated but look like they could easily be adapted to another form of power.

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!