iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-mizer transfer table slab kicker

Started by DGK, February 07, 2017, 11:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGK

Hello Everyone,

I have been trying to find video of the wood-mizer transfer table kicking off slabs to see how well the slabs go into a slab rack. Does anyone have a video or pics to share? Any that I have found, show the lumber transfer side of the table leaving the slab kick off side a mystery.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

4x4American

I remember seeing a decent vidja of one on youtube from the WM Europe one IIRC.  I will try to find it.  Should be a fun mission. 

For the time being, here is a big fancy Baker setup:

https://youtu.be/223aFkBccDs

Boy, back in my day..

DGK

Thanks 4 X 4,

If you find the WM one from Europe that would be awesome. I am trying to see how well organized the slabs are when kicked off into a rack as I strap my slab bundles pretty tight for firewood sales.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

4x4American

No problem, I didn't have a whole lot of luck finding one dumping into a rack.  I did find these two earlier and I copied them down cause I thought they were interesting although they're not exactly what you're looking for.

https://youtu.be/6wkngcgwBik

https://youtu.be/bvbK7nMGvas

At the Boonville show this past summer, WM had their 70 set up feeding a green chain, and where the boards fed into the green chain, they had a guy fabricate a set of arms and plumbed in an air cylinder.  The sawyer had a foot pedal and when he hit it the arms would pluck the slab and dump it into a slab rack.  It was a neat setup.  If he didn't want it in the slab rack it would keep going and feed into a conveyor and then conveyor would bring it up to another green chain that acted as accumulation in front of the edger.  Then edger had one of those edger tailer thibgs that would drop the edging strips and spit the board back the same green chain that was tailing the 70.  Then it'd come back around.  It was a well thought out setup, designed by Jeremy. 

My thoughts on your idea, is that the boards are probably going to figure out a way to make themselves a mess unless you figured out a slide that somehow balanced the slabs well.  As you know you don't always get perfect slabs and the ones that have a big hump on one side or the flimsy middle ones, they're gonna be the problem childs.

Boy, back in my day..

DGK

Thanks again 4 X 4 for the links. I had seen these videos before with the exception of the Baker video. As you can see, there doesn't seem to be much out there showing the slab being kicked off into a rack. I was thinking that a rack with chains that support the slabs may self-organize a little better than a flat bottomed rack. When milling small logs (which I do a lot of), There are 4 slabs to handle vs 1 cant and possibly a board. That being said, slab handling is my most labour intensive at the point with small logs, so I would like to figure out a system that reduces the manual labour associated with it. I have a board return that works great to drag them back to the out-feed table but I am still having to load/slide them into the rack. It is quick, but is so repetitive that I am getting tennis elbow.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

scully

I'm not sure if they offer a production model , But I built one for them for the Booneville show last summer . It seemed to do well kicking slabs into the rack . I can say that there are several things to consider when modifying a standard chain table .
I bleed orange  .

DGK

Hi Scully,

Do you have any more info or comments about the slab kicker that you built?
Doug
Yukon, Canada

Luke_Eames

I have the same issues with the slabs.  A few thoughts maybe getting a conveyor specifically for the slabs.  Or build the kicker similar to what was at Bonneville.  Another thought, which I'm going to give a try when the second half of the building goes up, is a board unscrambler.  I'm planning on placing one by the edger tailer, when all the edges fall of, they'll go on a slanted deck, feeding the unscrambler.  The edges would be picked up and drop into a rack.  I'm not sure how well that would work though for rounded edges.

Scully, are you open to comment more on the kicker?!! :o   
Wood Mizer LT-70 Super Wide
Wood Mizer EG200
Cat IT18

scully

I'd be happy to provide any input I can . I'm really just a guy who hangs out at WM allot and I weld . I was told they have a welding job for me and that was it except for the part were they said we need this to do that etc. I did fab and build the assembly to a WM transfer chain table . Keep in mind that I did this to help the Hannibal guys demonstrate that An LT 70 with all the fixins I.E edger etc etc could be run bye 1 guy .  My advantage was I have a long term understanding of Wood-Mizer equipment . Considering the fact I am not an engineer or designer I think it came out well . If it won't raise any issues I will try and post some detailed pic's of my work but I will indeed ask first .
I bleed orange  .

4x4American

If I was as close to WM as you are and I had free time I would probably spend it there at WM too.  I would have a hard time not just working there.  Would love to see more detailed pics, that's cool you did that. 

Luke what do you have for a setup now, anything fun?
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

scully

The project was fun . I think the coolest thing of it all is , I used all Wood-Mizer parts . I cut and changed the configuration of all kinds of pre fabed parts to adapt them to what I was building . This was huge because they use such perfect material to make their parts . Imagine finishing a working assembly and not drilling one hole for a single mount because the altered parts used had the hole in them . It was indeed a cool project . That being said it is not to hard to figure out , the biggest thing is conveyor speed off the mill . Also the length of that conveyor .  What I found interesting was the fine tuning aspects . They seemed easy to address but time was a factor . I think that at the end of the day a slab transfer off the mill could be a great add to a "portable" mill set up . I.E. an LT70 with the control pod at the back end .
I bleed orange  .

DGK

Hi Scully,

Ya got to stop teasing and start giving the details. :-)
Doug
Yukon, Canada

Luke_Eames

Quote from: DGK on February 09, 2017, 11:58:45 PM
Hi Scully,

Ya got to stop teasing and start giving the details. :-)

I second that!  ;D
And if you wouldn't mind... What size air cylinders did you use?  How many?? and what makes are they???  ;D  A lot of neat material handling equipment can be made with air cylinders.

4x4 - Right now I just have the LT40 and a single blade edger.  But I'm upgrading soon to the setup that Wood-Mizer had in Boonville.  I'm a one man operation and they sold me on their setup. I'm just looking for ways to save some $$$ by building things myself. 
Wood Mizer LT-70 Super Wide
Wood Mizer EG200
Cat IT18

YellowHammer

I would love to see the details also.  Some close up pictures and stuff. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

4x4American

Luke, the second I saw that setup I was sold on it too.  It might take me a few years but I'll be there someday :D .  I figure that with a setup like that I would want it all under cover.  So would have to build a big enough building first.  I have a video of it on my old phone, now that I upgraded from dial up speed internet to 30mbps internet I can upload 1 min videos to youtube in under an hour, its great.  So I'll try to put it on there
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

4x4American

It is!  When I switched fron Frontier to Time Warner, I went from so called "high speed" 1mbps internet, to 30mbps "medium speed" internet, and added tv, for about the same price I was paying for just internet and landline telephone.  I can even watch youtube in HD, where before, I was usually in 240-360p or whatever it was
Boy, back in my day..

scully

I bleed orange  .

4x4American

Uh oh it's getting some surface rust, might better tell them to send it to me and I'll baby sit it make sure she don't get rusty lol
Boy, back in my day..

scully

Okay I managed to muddle through picture posting . Man I suck at that !  The air rams are 12" long 21/2 dia.
I bleed orange  .

DGK

Thanks for posting the pics Scully. As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words". :-)
Doug
Yukon, Canada

scully

I bleed orange  .

scully

I thought I had posted a couple more sorry . Smart phone and me don't get along...
I bleed orange  .

DGK

Hi Scully, that is a good picture of your mod. If it is not too much to ask, would you mind describing the workflow of the "one man" LT70 using the green chain & kicker as done at the show?
Doug
Yukon, Canada

Thank You Sponsors!