iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carport mill shed

Started by ReinkeFandS, February 07, 2017, 11:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReinkeFandS

I wanted to start a post to document my newest project. I'm going to put in a 14'w x 36'l x 10.5'h metal carport shed to house the new mill. I'm going to do some welding to open up the long side 18' to allow logs into the shed. The big part of the project is to put in a drive to be able to get the mill in and out of our property. First I had to move the wood shed and pull an old ash tree stump. I started on the dirt work but MI in Feb is not the best of time for that, so work might be slow until the weather improves.

Cooks MP HD3238
Stihl MS 461, MS 261, Homelite SXL
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

btulloh

Looks like you've already got a good heat source right next to your saw shed.  ;)

Those carport sheds can be pretty handy.  Good luck with the weather and project.
HM126

paul case

I see that them sawmill slabs have a place to go!!!! Right in that heater.
Good looking start.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ReinkeFandS

Finally, the ground is just dry enough to able to do some work on the mill shed. I was at Lowes to get some spray paint and saw a big bundle of PT 4x4's with some misc other PT lumber. Everything was warped and was obviously culled from the bunks, but for $100 I took home 8 4x4x12, 25 4x4x8, 6 2x4x12 and 10 1x4x10's. So each side of the 36' carport is sitting level on 3 of the 4x4x12 butt joined with the 2x4 underneath and the 1x4's as a lip. The 4x4x8's will be used as fence posts later.

Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

YellowHammer

Beautiful area, but that mud looks, well,....awful muddy! :D.
So will you put in concrete? 
Looks like a fun project.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Dad2FourWI

Looking good!!!

I bet your mill can't wait!  :D :D

It is back to Winter here in central Wisconsin... and my mill is still sitting out there in the snow and ice... BUT we too have our mill shed plans... and I can not wait!

Keep the pics coming... I will live Vicariously off you your progress for now!!!  ;D

-Dad2FourWI

LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

DDW_OR

Quote from: YellowHammer on February 24, 2017, 11:38:29 PM
Beautiful area, but that mud looks, well,....awful muddy! :D.
So will you put in concrete? 
Looks like a fun project.
some 3 inch crushed rock will pack nice into that mud.
"let the machines do the work"

ReinkeFandS

Yea im tired of the mud. I think I'm going to do a few inches of road bed, and then an inch or two of asphalt millings.

Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

DDW_OR

yea, 30 to 40 yards of rock.
20 to 30 used for the mill area and the remaining 10 yards saved for future use.

i paid $190 for 12.56 Tons of 1.5 inch
and $185 for 11.9 Tons of clean 3 inch
"let the machines do the work"

ReinkeFandS

I will have to use the crushed millings for the top 3-4" to match the rest of the driveway. The sub base I'll use 1.5"-.
DDW_OR those are good prices, best could find around me was 17/per ton for road bed, and 23/per ton for crush asphalt.
Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

YellowHammer

If you can find crushed green concrete from a local concrete plant, then it will pack with use and cure into a solid concrete base.  I've used many loads of it over the years.  Some of the concrete plants here almost give it away, about $7 per yard.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

alanh

probably a little late but if it was mine I`d raise the whole thing a foot or so...building stuff at grade inevitably seems to end up in a hole in a few years....don`t ask me how I know this..I refer to our entire lower shop as "New Orleans"...built below sea level..

ReinkeFandS

Right now I'm just waiting for the season weight restriction to be lifted by the county road commission so I can get a delivery to our place. And we have gotten over 4" of rain in the last 24 hours so it might be a while to dry out.
Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

ReinkeFandS

Got most of the sheeting on the shed:

Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

ReinkeFandS

Got more of the shed done today
Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

paul case

Well you did it.
All this time I have been wondering what the plan is for gettting logs in there and you fixed that with one pic.

That mud needs about a foot of sawdust on top and you could get up away from it. STICKY!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ReinkeFandS

PC- I'm soooo tired of the mud right now!
Put the lights up, 4 4' led shop lights and a yard light, and pulled the mill in today. Still a lot to do but I'm happy with it so far

Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

Kwill

How did this project work out for you?
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

1938farmall

1.5" sub-base will disappear in that mud, never to be seen again.  3" is your friend.
aka oldnorskie

Ronnie

I was thinking about doing the same thing. Are you having any issues with the opening you created? 
TK2000, JD5075, Stihl 660,270,170.

Thank You Sponsors!