iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing OLD posts

Started by Jstier, April 07, 2021, 10:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jstier

A furniture maker came to me with a strange request. He would like 2 old fence posts milled into lumber for a customer of his. They were off the customers property from the family farm. My issue with it that each post has two thick bolts broke off in them, and who knows how much other chunks of metal. Should I just tell him to forget it or just charge him for every piece of metal hit. Ive hit nails before and sometime my ez40 doesn't even feel them. But a 1/2 in thick bolt id assume it would notice. They have brought a lot of work to me, so that's the only reason I considered it. 

Could I get a special blade that could cut through them?

Thanks in advance for any advice :) 

lazyflee

Maybe use a metal detector and dig em out?

moodnacreek

All that stuff must be metal detected and cleaned.

WV Sawmiller

There is obviously sentimental value here far beyond the lumber costs. I'd tell the customer to remove all the metal and that there was a band fee of $25 each (My current cost - apply your rate) for every piece of metal I hit if he missed any then I'd saw them. I would not/do not metal detect because if I miss something it is now my responsibility. I keep that responsibility clearly on the customer. I named my company Sawmill Services and I believe that. If you can do it almost safely with a sawmill I will try it if that is what the customer wants/needs.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

In recently sawed some junk such as that.

And my rate was $85 per hour whether I was sawing or digging.  My metal strikes are $30 per blade.

I do not refuse jobs but I do make sure that the customer understands the sawing agreement/contract.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jstier

Quote from: Magicman on April 07, 2021, 01:50:09 PM

In recently sawed some junk such as that.

And my rate was $85 per hour whether I was sawing or digging.  My metal strikes are $30 per blade.

I do not refuse jobs but I do make sure that the customer understands the sawing agreement/contract.

Thanks for all the info, I think I may just see if he wants to pay me to dig all the metal out. Pretty crazy to see what you got out of that wood magicman.

Jeff

Clearly I'm not needed here. I read that at least twice as SAVING old posts. 

The Forum bookmark feature will be of no use to you for your task.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

terrifictimbersllc

Another perspective...

Customer may not care about cost of several blades if the posts get sawed successfully.

So long as you hit a bolts crosswise the blade might just cut through it.  Once through you can put on another blade to finish if it is not sawing straight.  Sawing very slow and watching the kerf can give opportunity to stop and change the blade. Or if it doesnt cut all the way through then perhaps finish it with a hacksaw blade or sawzall.

Two weeks ago a customer brought out an 8x8 which had been part of a dam in the river outside his house for over 100 years.  He had denailed it but knew there were broken off nails.  We used 2 blades on it at $35 each and he got flat boards with square nails cut across, in them. This was a big plus for him he was very happy with the result.  His helpers thought it was pretty cool too. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Exactly, do not judge a customer's reasons nor his wallet.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DeepWoods

A couple years ago I sawed a birch for a neighbor knowing there was a good chance of metal as it was a yard tree.   Hit several nails and changed band every cut, but ended up with some really nice slabs.  Didn't charge him for the bands as I sharpen my own and the damage wasn't that bad.  Worth the risk in this case

Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

SawyerTed

Yes it's all about the agreement up front on what something like that will cost.  A repeat customer brought an 18' beam from a barn built nearly 150 years ago.  He wanted it "straightened" since it had a bow and a crook.  We talked about it, measured it and came up with a sawing plan.  He reassured me he had removed the nails.  I reassured him a nail strike would cost my blade replacement fee.  Three sides were were good.  The fourth side cost him a blade fee in addition to a half hour of sawing. He was extremely satisfied with the result and actually paid me DOUBLE the total fee (or was it a 100% tip.)
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Jstier

Quote from: Jeff on April 07, 2021, 02:45:03 PM
Clearly I'm not needed here. I read that at least twice as SAVING old posts.

The Forum bookmark feature will be of no use to you for your task.
Ha took me a second. Also are Newbies invited to the Hog roast? I'm down in SE Indiana and we travel to MI a lot during the summer. Last year spent some time up camping at Sleeping Bear Dunes.  I'd love to learn a few things from the pros. 

Thank You Sponsors!