Skid Steer advice

Started by Leswad, February 07, 2017, 09:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leswad

First post and I hope it is in the correct area.

I am considering a tract machine to clear fence rows and mulch trees on my property in west Texas.  This tract of land has 100 foot elevation, Rocky (sand stone) and covered with burnt Juniper Cedar and Post Oaks from the Possum Kindom fires a few years ago. 

I am thining I need a 80-90hp machine, enclosed cab and High Flow Auxiliary Hydraulics to run the accessories. Another factor is I am 6'5", so roominess is a factor, and since I would be buying used (1500 hours), maintenance will be a factor too.

I am all ears.  Thanks!

DelawhereJoe

Years ago I used to use a Cat 277b lgp loader I'm 6'4" and it wasn't a bad fit and should do everything you need.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

jdonovan

depending on how much you are going to use it a year, 1500 hours on a track machine is a 'sweet spot'. They still have some life left before (generally) the track component repairs/replacements start in the 2000 hour range. Depending on the machines previous uses, and how it was kept up, the track work bills in the 2000-ish hour range can be 3-5k. So be careful to hold some budget back for repairs.

for a small homeowner/rancher that may run the machine 100-200 hours per year, this age machine could be a good buy with several years of life before significant repair costs come up.

mike_belben

If its rocky and hilly in a stairstep sort of way forget anything with steel tracks.. Youll bounce your teeth out.  A rubber tire skid steer is pretty sketchy over any sort of step since they have absolutely zero articulation and will tip/fall off small steps with minimal control.

IMO you want a rubber track machine, likely with oscillating track frame if your terrain is what i am picturing.
Praise The Lord

Magicman

I just sawed for a customer that has a tree removal service.  He has three rubber tracked skidsteers.  Two Bobcats, a 785 and a T300, and a 92 hp Kubota.  He said that the Kubota was so far ahead that he would never ever buy another Bobcat.  He was sick of fixing the Bobcats.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bigshooter

Check for ground clearance as some of the skid steers are pretty low to the ground. Gehl I think has higher clearance and Terex. Some are just more meant for the bush than others.