iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bug/worm/critter question

Started by Engineer, December 05, 2004, 04:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Vermin.  >:(

They're everywhere.

I need to know if they're still in my lumber.   ???

My father-in-law and I bought a couple hundred board feet of butternut yesterday from a lady whose husband had cut it, with my sawmill (it was his mill originally) about 15 years ago.  The wood was all fairly well riddled with tiny holes, about 1/32" in diameter (0.8 mm?) and some of the boards has small piles of sawdust between them.  It had all been air dried and stored in an unheated garage, dead stacked, since it was dried.

Obviously, it's some species of powderpost beetles.  We also noticed a few holes, less than a dozen, in some ash boards and white oak that we left behind.

What's the best way to deal with this?  Will kiln-drying (not that the stuff needs drying) kill whatever may be left?  Should I spray something on the wood?  We have essentially isolated the piles, but I'm afraid that anything that's in the piles will migrate to some of my other lumber.  I really don't mind the appearance of the boards with the holes in them (actually, that's part of why I bought them), but I want to make sure that my house and furniture doesn't get eaten in the process.  I have not been able to find out if cold temperatures kill them or not - if so, it's all going outside under cover for the winter.

leweee

So I'm told.... a temperature of 160 degrees F will kill those powder post beetles. the wood has to get to this temperature no just the air...depending on the thickness ,this cold take a few days.No chemicals with this method , just heat...So I'm told.  ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Brad_S.

I've heard of an antique dealer who freezes items to kill the beetle eggs, but I figure they make it through the winter somehow so that's not a lock. I heard they overwinter in the ground and re-emerge to go back to the wood, but the infamous Doc said that wasn't true. Baking them is a sure deal, but like lewee said, got to get it hot to the core. I heard 140 degrees for at least 24 hours, I suppose 160 would be better. After 15 years in a garage, your wood is probably at 15 plus percent, so it wouldn't hurt to dry it out again as you treat it.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

SwampDonkey

Run'n 'er through the kiln is the best, non-chemical way. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!