iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 540a versus Timberjack 230 super E

Started by Stoneyacrefarm, February 05, 2017, 11:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneyacrefarm

How much did it cost to rebuild the transmission?
I can say I'm not very hard on my equipment. I usually go overboard with the maintenance.
Grease and oil are cheap compared to a major overhaul.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Mountain_d

Quote from: Maine logger88 on February 07, 2017, 05:55:28 PM
The 230 should have the eaton/Hercules winch its mostly 240s that have the gearmatic. The eaton on my 225 doesn't give much trouble it's my spare skidder so sometimes it sits for a few months at a time if I don't have a side job or my 540 isn't broke. Sometimes the cable will pull out hard for the first hitch or two but after that it's good to go!
Mainelogger 88, do you cover your Eaton winch if not using for a few weeks? I hear it is best to cover the Gearmatic but not sure if needed for the Eaton?
Mountain D
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

jdeere540a

I don't remember off hand how much just the transmission cost I did it the same time as the engine. From what I remember it was like 3500 to do the engine and trans. I had a retired Deere machenic help with the work. He said while we have the engine out we should do the clutch packs in the transmission. It didn't need them but it is nice to know what u have when it's done. I used aftermarket parts when I could and it has lasted very well. Manintenice is key I change engine oil every 200 hours and transmission filter every 400. Plus greas every 10 or so.

Stoneyacrefarm

Work hard. Be rewarded.

jdeere540a

No problem. I hope the info helped. I do like timberjack's too I just have had way better luck with my Deere and I think the 540as and all deeres from that era were pritty advanced for that time.

coxy

yes they where back in the day most loggers and contract cutters all had 440s or 208-225 and afew big guys had 230s or the case 300  don't ever remember any one having a 240 till way later then treefarmers came along

jdeere540a

I never knew case made a skidded until I found the forum. One machine I would love to have i parts were easyer to find would be a late model international s8 pay logger with an in motor. My father has an excavation business and we always have had ih dozers and hough loaders, my grampa also work at the local ih hough dealership as a mechanic and the salesman.

Maine logger88

Quote from: Mountain_d on February 08, 2017, 12:06:36 AM
Quote from: Maine logger88 on February 07, 2017, 05:55:28 PM
The 230 should have the eaton/Hercules winch its mostly 240s that have the gearmatic. The eaton on my 225 doesn't give much trouble it's my spare skidder so sometimes it sits for a few months at a time if I don't have a side job or my 540 isn't broke. Sometimes the cable will pull out hard for the first hitch or two but after that it's good to go!

Mainelogger 88, do you cover your Eaton winch if not using for a few weeks? I hear it is best to cover the Gearmatic but not sure if needed for the Eaton?
Mountain D
I never have. Probably would be a good thing to do tho
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Stoneyacrefarm

Ok all you Timberjack guys that have given me good advice.
Where did you hide the steering wheel?
Lol.
I've cut a lot of firewood and skidded a lot of timber with tractors.
Drawbar on the 3 point hitch and also with a farmi winch. now it's time to put my big boy pants on and get a skidder.
I test drove the 540a and liked the power and how it pulled.
I checked out  2  Timberjacks this week.
When I looked at the first one I was like where's the steering wheel. ??
You guys on the forum have given me a lot of insight on what to look for and I've re read all your comments to try and make the right purchase.
I should be a new owner within the next 2 weeks.
I'm going to decide by then.
Thanks for everyone's comments.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Spartan

lever in the middle?
Thats what mine has, up is left down is right.
I like it better than the steering wheel I used when I ran a cat 518. 
I can feather it at high speeds much easier.
You get used to it.

David-L

Clutch packs, is this a power shift 540A or a syncro tranny.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Puffergas

Lever? Only way to go in the woods. Makes reverse a snap..!
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Stoneyacrefarm

The 540a is a synchro trans.
The Timberjacks both had levers.
I was joking on my last post about where did they put the steering wheel.
Have to admit there was a lot of room in the cab area.
I can see where it would work good.
Just a little weird to get used to going from a wheel to a lever.
Both were nice machines.
I ran them without a hard hat and earmuffs on.
They are quite a bit louder than the john Deere.
Going to look at a 440 this weekend also.
Think I'm steering towards one of the Timberjacks.
Now I have to pick one.
Let's see who does what with their numbers now.

Work hard. Be rewarded.

Stoneyacrefarm

Work hard. Be rewarded.

coxy

a power shift  slush a matic is the only way to go hold it to the floor and go forward and reverse  twist knob for 1st 2nd 3rd   I like tj but way to many moving levers for my little brain :D

ohiowoodchuck

I bought a 440 Deere less then a year ago, but I would of bought a jack if I could of found one close, but I couldn't find one. I don't know what a timberjack steering valve cost but a John Deere will cost 1200.00 for a re manufactured one. Heck I bought a 3" splined coupling and it cost me 145.00 ridculous. With John Deere your paying for the name and the fancy box.
Education is the best defense against the media.

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: coxy on February 10, 2017, 06:21:30 PM
a power shift  slush a matic is the only way to go hold it to the floor and go forward and reverse  twist knob for 1st 2nd 3rd   I like tj but way to many moving levers for my little brain :D
I like the way the power shifts are set up but being old school I opted for a synchro range and I have been happy with it, but I don't run it for a living like most of you guys. I just use it on my place.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Stoneyacrefarm

I found 2 nice clean Timberjack 230's.
A d and a E.
Might go with one of them.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

jdeere540a

David-l I think all 540's were power shift. Some of the a series had no turbo six cylinder engines and some like mine were turbocharged.

teakwood

I have a 540A (without a turbo) with a powershift and it has been a great machine, did some hoses and leaks, had some problem with the winchvalve but after that it has been working excellent. The powershift is outstanding, your always coupled to the engine! uphill pulling and downhill holding, no leg force required for clutching all day long.   I have no experience with timberjack though
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

David-L

I have run John deere tractors with power shift and power quad and yes they are nice. Its a pocket book thing if you have to rebuild. that said if they were serviced theres alot of original 4020's and 3020's with the original powershifts still rollin. The Jack would still be my choice as they are so simple and stable. The Detroit thing can be dealt with. Muffler and a resonator can around it. I had a 440B as my first skidder, It served me well but parts were pricy when I was fixin it. Make sure the Jacks have the eaton drive train at least, the e model should and late D models from maybe 77 on did. Good luck, and check all the pins center and cradle on the jacks.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

coxy

the eaton drive train are nice little pricey to fix the pr75 Rockwells aren't bad but the older smaller jack rears wasn't much if you got digging and pawing  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!