iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gifts for

Started by ARKANSAWYER, December 04, 2004, 05:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

Mule-Man sent me a message asking about my tree book.  Seems he is hard to buy gifts for and he would like a book like mine so he was asking for the info for the book so he could drop a "hint".
  So I thought we could post some ideals for gifts for men (and women folk) who have pert near everything but a new mill.  I know my spouse reads the FF alot more since I went off poseing as "Bibbyman" at the Pig Roast. ;D

National Audubon Society
Field Guide to North American Trees
Eastern Region
ISNB: 0-394-50760-6
  This book covers east of the Rockies pretty much and there is a Western one but I do not have the numbers.  I got mine from Hastings.
  That book about the framing square down in Timber Framing would be another.  There are several handy pocket books like that a man never has to many of.
  Just thought we could post a few  idies.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

cutterboy

I think a hookaroon is a tool that every person who saws lumber or cuts firewood could use. However, I'll bet a lot of us don't have one. Don't you think that would make a great gift? I like the looks of the LogRite. I've been giving my wife hints, but so far she just keeps talking about clothes. Oh well, I'll probably be the best dressed sawyer in New England.

Ralph
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

EZ

I got mine a little early for Christmas. When you showed us your book at the pig roast, I really like it, so easy to look up trees.
I have this one tree in the back that I or anyone else could identifly. When I got the book and look it up it was a ceder elm. The local forester didnt know what it was, so when I called him and told him, he said it couldnt be, cause they dont grow around here. ::)
Thanks Arkansawyer.
EZ

Bibbyman

I'd think anyone that has a mill or deals with logs would really appreciate a Logrite cant hook or other tool from Logrite.

Also,  pick your mill....  Most all the mill manufactures have apparel and other neat items with their logo on them.   Mary and I have Wood-Mizer jackets and they are very nice.  They've got mugs, watches, and model sawmills.

Anything with the Carhartt name on it has been a prized gift in our family. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Patty

Carharts are always a winner at our house, too.  8) Also good leather gloves, safety glasses, noise cancelling headsets, 12 gauge shotgun, 20 gauge shotgun for varmits, good set of binoculars, Buck knife for field dressing deer, 22 rifle, any handgun known to mankind, or any gun period is always a winner  ;)

And as far as girls go.......WELL....we like jewelry.....diamonds, rubies, emeralds are good for a start. And as a bonus, when you buy necklaces or earrings, you don't even have to know what size she wears!  :)  Fur coats are nice, floor length coyote if you live north, or short jacket mink or fox are good for the south. Music boxes are usually a hit especially when filled with diamonds or similar wearable stones...I'm just full of good ideas.  ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Bibbyman

Patty,   Mary'd kick me out of the house if I spent money on anything on your second list.  The only jewelry she's worn in the past twenty years has been her wedding band.  She probably got her engagement ring stuffed some place but I've not seen it for years.

I've been buying her woodworking tools.  But now she's got about everything but a good building to work in and time to woodwork.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sprucebunny

I'm with Bibbyman and Mary---The only jewels I want are" caliber" not "carats".
Tools are good but I got most of them..'course some are broken...
Now if Logrite could just invent the One-man log carrier...or maybe just ship me a man along with the tool  ???   :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Patty

Oh yea, woodworking tools are a great gift! Two years ago Norm got me a band saw, and this year I'm hoping for a shaper. BUT, a nice diamond bracelet or necklace is always appropriate in my book    ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

MULE_MAN

Well linda always like Jewelry, Like diamonds stuff    So I guess I'll get her a Diamond Bracelet for Christmas. I ask her what her ring size was a couple month ago, So now I know she thinks she getting a ring.  I got her a small shovel as a joke & wrote her name on it.One time She didn't think that was real funny. But she did write my name in front of her  So it say Mike & Linda HA    ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

ARKANSAWYER

SpruceBunny you really may want to re-think that man deal for moving logs.  They have needs and are poor at communicating and eat alot.  Now I did see a one person log arch that you just pushed over the log and lifted the handle and hooked up the log.  When you pulled the handle back down the log would come off the ground and it had fat wheels so you could roll it across the ground.  It would cost less then a man, eat nothing, move logs, never talk back, and only need a shot of air in the tires from time to time. ;)  It was made up north some where and I can not find the info now that I need it.
  The only dimonds I wife needs are in bits or cutters.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

UNCLEBUCK

Since as long as I have been a member here I have always thought its been great how many married couples here work together sawing logs and working together as a team in general .That seems to me to be very special . If I told my fiance from detroit that I sure hope santa brings me a new pickaroon she might look it up in her cookbook . ???  Green Acres all the way . I sure am going to miss her !  :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

sprucebunny

ARKANSAWYER--I'd kinda thought of all those drawbacks but was too lazy to type the "small print" part.
You may be thinking of the Future Forestry arch. That's what I'd really like and will probably buy soon. Too big to wrap or hide  ;D
So your wife is getting drill bits for Christmas? Maybe you could string them all together and pass it off as a diamond necklace. :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Paschale

Here are a couple of books that have helped me quite a bit that might be good for the gift list.

Fine Woodworking's "Wood and How To Dry It" is a compilation of a lot of articles on various subjects related to, umm, I guess, umm...wood and how to dry it.   ;)  It helped me a lot a couple of years ago when I first got the sawmilling bug.  It's a definite winner, and has a lot of good reference material you can turn to.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/091880454X/qid=1102299273/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/104-9792403-6824742

The second one is more a scholarly treatise on the subject of drying wood.  This one's called  "The Conversion and Seasoning of Wood."  It's a bit dense, but pretty thorough.  The author, William Brown was from England, so pretty much all of his examples pertain to the British Isles, but his information can certainly be adapted to stuff in the U.S.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0941936147/qid=1102299273/sr=2-2/ref=pd_ka_b_2_2/104-9792403-6824742

As for me and my Chrismas gift list...anyone know some single women who might be interested in dating a guy who's got the sawmill bug...and can cook pretty DanG tasty food too?   ::)   :D  I still think we need a personals part of the forum for us bachelors here who are looking for some women who'd be putting a cant hook on their wish list!   Now there's a catch!  ;) :D :D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

hiya

My wife doesn't wear jewelry. But anything for the kitchen is fine. Was out to Sugar Creek area of Ohio the end of Aug. Went up to Leamans store. Bought her a big stainless steel roast pan, she can put two 5 1/2# chickens at once. She was real happy.Before we were married I got her a pop corn popper.She was happy, but I took a ribbing from others about "looking out for myself."  ::) :D :D :D
Richard
RichardinMd.

TN_man

Jim Rogers has some nice tools for sale in the log and timber page of this forum. I tried my best to direct my wife to that list of tools for sale. ;D
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

breederman

I always have tols on my list ;) introduced wifey to logrite just yesterday!
    We have had sort of a tradition every year.We don't get each other much for Christmas, but later on in the winter we draw a circle on the map a few hours drive out from home ,and pick a city to explore on a long weekend with no kids. mostly just pick where we are going,sometimes after we start out,and just see what we can see.It has always been great fun and a little quiet time together.
Together we got this !

MULE_MAN

ARKY

When is your wedding anniversary  ???. I want to mail your wife a sympathy card  :D :D  :D  ;D

MERRY CHRISTMAS  MULE-MAN
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Ed_K

Moma's decided she wants a lighter chainsaw to help with doing TSI work. I'm thinkin a 338 husky. I got my present last spring, just after the northeastern forestry expo. Got me a hookaroon, best tool in the truck 8). Now me thinks its time for a new canthook.
Ed K

Captain

I can vouch for Arky's Audobon Society book, it is the bible around these parts now since I bought one. (Thanks Arky)

The biggest hit I have bought my wife for YEARS is a GPS and mapping software I got her for her birthday in September.  She is an avid horseback rider and some of the trails are pretty remote.  Her aunt had a pretty bad fall off a horse this year (thankfully close to home and she was found by a farmer) and it got me thinking of them in the woods somewhere without any way to telling folks how to find them.  Now she has been busy downloading her trail routes to the PC and making maps for the riding club and everything.  She takes it in the car...everywhere.  She especially likes it when going on lumber deliveries in unfamiliar territory...anyhow a big hit.  Now I gotta top it for Christmas.... ::)

Captain

OneWithWood

It can be pricey but the functionality of some gore-tex outerwear is hard to beat.  With winter rains and snows lasting a bit past the holidays it will get used immediately.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Timber_Framer

I don't know about ya'll but I'm real partial to quality footwear and that starts with socks. I like smartwool, from the medium hiker weight to the heavy duty expedition style. If my feets ain't happy I ain't happy so I put socks on my list almost every year ;D
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

neslrite

I already got Tammy a real purdy pink cant hooks:D
so this year it is Carthartt bibs and jacket or maybe even Arborwear

And thanks to Chet, I have to get her a pair of chaps because she has not used the chainsaw since hearing his stories at the pig roast! ;D

Kevin
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Thank You Sponsors!