iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CANT HOOK or LOG PEAVEY for turning logs

Started by alabama, February 05, 2017, 11:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I have four; a 60", two 48's, and a 24".   If I were limited to only one it would be the 60".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

alabama

For now I'll be limited to one and if that is the case I'll go with the 60. You guys are always great and thank you for the pics that really helped!
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

btulloh

Nice variety MM.

Alabama, you should get a hookaroon as soon as you can. They are worth their weight in advil.

That 60" cant hook will guarantee you some leverage. Keep an eye out for a short one at flea markets, etc.  A wood handle won't get you in too much trouble with a short one. 

I bet you'll get hooked on sawdust.
HM126

Jeff

The wood handled ones are a waste of your time.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

btulloh

Why so, Jeff?  I don't put enough umph on ghe short one to break the handle.  Just curious.
HM126

Magicman

It ain't the umph, it is the log gripping ability.

Here is what I was using before I got my 60" Logrite.  I had never realized how much better that better was.  Logrite's hooks are arched correctly and maintain their sharpness so that they grip and hold rather than loose their grip, slip, and bust your cookie.  It did not take me long to increase my Logrite arsenal to the present level.  One more 60" is on my want list.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

You're right about that.  They do grip better.

Would you rather have just the one 60 inch Logrite, or the 60 inch Logrite plus a an old 30 inch you found in your friend's barn?
HM126

WDH

I have turned many a log, and if I only had one, it would be the 60".  Even on a hydraulic mill, you sometimes had to help a big misshapen log go from the loader arms on the mill, so my LogRite 78" megahook makes that easier to do.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

The one I found in a friends barn would go on the wall.   I have a hammer. If I found a rock, I wouldn't put it in my toolbox so I had another hammer.

Magicman

I could always use these......not.   ;D

Upper

My son bought me this 60 incher,but I am having a little trouble with it...

Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jeff

Must have been a mix up at the factory. That has a New Zealand hook on it.

Dan_Shade

I think that they are shipped like that to fit in a smaller box
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tam-i-am

In order to fit in the box we have to reverse the direction of the hook.  On the hook is a sticker that tells you to change the direction of the hook.  On the directions and warranty sheet it tells you to reverse the direction of the hook before use.
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

btulloh

HM126

Upper

Just to be clear,my post was "hook in cheek".(new saying) I just made up....... ;D
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

alabama

Quote from: Upper on February 13, 2017, 11:27:40 AM
My son bought me this 60 incher,but I am having a little trouble with it...

I might be wrong but what you have pictured is not a cant. What problems are you having.

Dad2FourWI

From that picture.... I am pretty sure the hook is supposed to be turned around the other direction.

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

plowboyswr

I bought the 60" Log Rite and then gave Dad's old wooden handle one to my brother.

no going back to old one if I ever get it back it's going on the wall to be forgotten. :D
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

alabama

Quote from: btulloh on February 12, 2017, 09:45:12 PM
Nice variety MM.

Alabama, you should get a hookaroon as soon as you can. They are worth their weight in advil.

That 60" cant hook will guarantee you some leverage. Keep an eye out for a short one at flea markets, etc.  A wood handle won't get you in too much trouble with a short one. 

I bet you'll get hooked on sawdust.

I'll look into the hookaroon too. But if I can get the cant going first at least I can do something. :)

Magicman

I use the Hookaroon to reach across and snag/drag stubborn flitches from the loader arms onto the sawmill bed.  Very handy.

beamero

I got in touch with Tammy a couple of weeks ago and now have a nice 60" Logrite. This is going to be so much better than my bending, screwed together, wood handled hooks. Thanks for the conversation guys!
2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!