iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what kind of tool do you take for tightening tire chains

Started by pékan, February 05, 2017, 03:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pékan

what kind of  tool do you take for tightening tire chains on your tractor or skidder  ::) ::).

wannaergo

2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

AlexHart

+1 on that wannaergo. 

I'm not even sure what that thing is called but that's what I use.  An older logger gave one to me years ago when I bought a machine from him and its still tightening chains to this day. 

47sawdust

Pe'kan,
If your talking about the chains on you Kioti a well placed ratchet strap will help take out the slack...or you can spend $270.00 for the one mentioned above.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

OH logger

X2 on that screw type. I hate chaining tires but these make it bareable
john

Puffergas

Some scrap tubing, threaded rod, bit of plate and a stick welder.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

bill m

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

John Mc

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Spartan

John Mc

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

62oliver

A friend of mine gave me one that he made out of an old style bumper jack, he just welded a hook on each end, seems to work fine.
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

coxy

I had one of the jacking type and if my dad was still with us he would tell you just what a piece of  that thing was it snapped back and took out his front teeth  :o so we got a screw type one after that  8)

bitternut

Coleman's Military Surplus in Pa has a track tightener for about $40 that will tighten chains. I know because the logger that cut my timber used it to tighten his chains. Said it worked good. I bought it in case I ever need to repair a track on my dozer.

jdeere540a

I have a really old one like john mc has a pic of it works good for me. I don't know how good it would work on big chains though.

North River Energy

Quote from: John Mc on February 05, 2017, 10:17:59 PM
Has anyone tried one of these?  $90
http://www.tirechain.com/tirechain-install-tool.htm

I borrowed a set like that to install the chains on my Hough. Worked really well for that weight of chain link,(http://www.aquilinetirechains.com/product.php?Talon-Tractor-2).
Nice and lightweight, didn't try to smack me in the face.
Didn't know where to get a set of my own, but now I do.
Thanks

mf40diesel

We use one of these...  works pretty slick. The chains on my 225 are humming tight right now, just tightened all of them last sunday as a matter of fact.

http://www.labonville.com/Labonville-Heavy-Duty-Jack-Type-Skidder-Chain-Tightener--C4_p_151.html
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

Nemologger

Take a handi man jack and grind the lift plate about 2 inches from the end so it is narrow enough to fit in the chains. Then weld a 1/2 inch thick plate that's shaped like a horn on the other end. Yow can tighten any chain with this and it is TIGHT.
Clean and Sober

Thank You Sponsors!