iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

b-16

Started by mike phillips, February 04, 2017, 11:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike phillips

hello guys- I read everyone's replies to my questions and clicked on reply at the bottom and typed a message to everyone and made an error somehow. I was logged in already but the screen said "you must be logged in to do that" so I logged in again and hit post and it said I sent it twice so here goes again. thanks to all for the replies. my 94 model b-16 came with flat steel wheels and they are out a few .000's when I put a square on them. may be my problem. the word I got was it would be best to change my bearings to be safe, they are kind of pricy at TK so anyone have a line where to get USA bearings reasonable? my idle plate wasn't cracked and saw head bolts to frame were good. guess that leaves bearings and, or, wheels? steve, I think you have a b-20? were your steel wheels crowned from factory? maybe that's my best option? I know there are lots of opinions but seems like i'm getting the crowned wheels may be the best option? would I have to get my blades rolled if I crowned them? or does anyone have trued up flat wheels that track easily? when I had mine set right and I cut a very seasoned hickory log, with a straight edge on the cut there was very little light showing under it. also cut 1/8 slice off of a 16 inch cedar log and it was 1/8 inch all around. so I think it will work well once I have these issues fixed. I don't think TK has a parts breakdown for wheels and bearings for a b-16. wonder if it's the same as a b-20? my wheel axles are 1-3/4 inch. is it difficult to remove wheels and replace bearings? again, all replies are appreciated. thanks.

ozarkgem

As far as the bearings go just get the number off the bearing and do a search for it. I have good luck at  IBT bearings. They have stores all over. Steel wheels need to be crowned. I doubt you will need to roll  1 1/4 wide bands. I had steel wheels and swapped them out for V belt pulleys. Got them from surplus center. Have worked perfect for the last 8 yrs or so.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

ladylake

My B20 is a 2002 model and came with belted wheels which work good.  I'd just get those flat steel wheels crowned and put in new bearings at the same time.  I think the B20 and B16 are built the same except for length.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Den-Den

Assuming the steel wheels have rubber tires, you might consider installing new tires and crowning the tires.  As illustrated by Kbeitz; it takes very little crown; some coarse sandpaper will work quickly on a spinning wheel/tire.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

killamplanes

My 1998 has belts. I'm not original owner so it may of originally had steel. I would lean u toward thinking about going to belts. I've read alot on here suggesting belts.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

mike phillips

hello guys- thanks for all the input. i'm trying to sort it all out and come to a decision- crowned steel wheels or belted wheels. I know baker mills and cooks mills are the crowned steel ones but seems like most mills are belted. I talked to mike and Jason at TK and they pretty much thought steel wheels were better but tracking was a little harder to mess with. they went to belts cause it was more user friendly. and it was pretty hard to get my 94 model wheels off. idle side I tore the bearings up getting them off. when I was able to get mine tracking close, it cut really well. could hardly see the blade lines on the cut. looked like a piece of rough cut western red cedar siding. and flat all the way around. is that possible with a belted wheel? I have a planer so guess I could plane out the saw lines if I had to. kind of leaning towards the belts cause of problem I had on removing the wheels, mostly the drive side. the post on a b-16 is super close to drive wheel. had to unbolt post at top to gain enough room to remove it. I just hope the belts will do as good as the steel wheels. do ya'll get good clean cuts with belts? if not, I may get them crowned, regardless of difficulty removing wheels. can someone shed some light on this? thanks.

Kbeitz

I have wheels on my mill that came off a large Grizzly bandsaw.
They have what they call bandsaw tires on there wheels. So far
I have had no problems with them on my mill They come with a
crown, All you need to do is slip them on. They come in different
sizes.

http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(Bandsaw+AND+Tire)+OR+(Bandsaw+OR+Tire)
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tacks Y

I am not an expert but play one at my house. I think the reason they use belts it is cheaper to make the that way. They also work fine.

sealark37

I have had good luck finding the odd bearing (USA) on ebay.    Regards, Clark

Thank You Sponsors!