iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frick 00 Sawmill with 56" saw

Started by wayback40, February 04, 2017, 10:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayback40

Ron and Frank C,

As long as I run the mill with a tractor I am planning on using the flat belt.  The plan now is to make the building pretty much just cover the mill.  The tractor will be outside of the building.  If I would set up a dedicated power unit I would probably look into V belts when operating in the building and use the flat belt and a tractor when mobile.  I have no plans of making this into a money maker.  If the cost of a dedicated power unit is too high I would probably lean toward looking for a bigger tractor and just use the flat belt.  I could use a larger tractor but the cost is a factor.  I thought maybe a dedicated power unit might be quite a bit cheaper.  Any ideas on cost of a power unit?
Wood-Mizer LT15

Gearbox

Tractors with flat belts you will find that the biggest HP will end about 70 HP . Some have put a rear angle drive off a 3020 and put it on a 4020 [100 hp ] . Boy did that bugger get hot . I won't tell how I know .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Darrel

Quote from: Gearbox on February 16, 2017, 12:49:28 PM
Tractors with flat belts you will find that the biggest HP will end about 70 HP . Some have put a rear angle drive off a 3020 and put it on a 4020 [100 hp ] . Boy did that bugger get hot . I won't tell how I know .

It probably had the wrong sized gearbox!   :D :D :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

bandmiller2

Back 40, You have a usable mill now so theirs no hurry to find a power unit. Keep your eyes open and put out feelers something will come along. I bought a complete Chase sawmill with a 100hp Dagenham diesel for $500.00. I have mentioned this several times but its common for fire dept's to send trucks out to be refurbished, that usually requires a repower to meet current emission standards. Many low miles Detroit diesels are laying fallow behind shops. If you can stand the drone they make good mill engines. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

wayback40

Thanks Frank C. (bandmiller2).  I think I will concentrate on putting up a building and watch for a power unit when I get a chance.
Wood-Mizer LT15

wayback40

Looking for some opinions and thoughts.  Not sure if I should start a new thread or continue with this one.  My nephew wrecked a 2005 Ford Crown Victoria.  Long story but he drove it between two poles and just side swiped each side of the car.  However the insurance company is totaling it out.  They are giving him the option to keep it.  It has a 4.6L V8.  I think I can get it for $750 or less.  I am wondering about two options.  The first one is setting it on blocks and running the belt from the either the tire or set up a pulley on the rear axle.  The second would be to pull the engine and put together a stand alone power unit.  I guess the third option would be it isn't worth it.  Keep in mind I am running the mill for my own milling only.  This is not a business venture.  Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.
Wood-Mizer LT15

Darrel

While a car engine would not be my first choice for several reasons I won't go into right now, the price tag you quote sure makes this a very attractive option. This engine should have plenty of power.  Go direct drive if you can. I'd only use the rear axel if I needed to change direction of rotation. My 2¢worth.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

bandmiller2

Back 40, An auto gasoline engine is not much of a step forward. A good governor is very important as tensioned saws have a narrow band they like to run in. As I said you can use your mill now I'd put that money away for something better. Big old diesel tractors with poor rubber can be had reasonable. Myself I would run a jackshaft from the back of the mill with Vee belts up to the arbor. this would make it easy to hook up a tractor PTO. The tractor would be outside the building and if you cut alone it will be easier to get from the sawyers box to the off bearers side. There are many old dozers with good engines and poor bottoms. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

TKehl

It will work, but for the time to put it together, it wouldn't be worth it to me.  Good diesel units are cheaper than I imagined at first.

I'll add that old semi's are DanG cheap power sources.  There's one on my way home a guy want's $2k for.  Brakes weak, tires poor, windshield cracked, but I could drive it home.  Saw another at auction that could have been driven home for under $3k.  And keep in mind, I'm not really looking.

If you go with the car, you'll have to cut away a corner to keep from cutting the belts.  Then tie up the suspension so it doesn't flex.  It doesn't weigh as much as the tractor, so you'll need to anchor the car to something.  And in the end, you'll have a gas engine with all the pluses and minuses of computer control.  At least it has cruise control I imagine.

I have seen an old car blocked up and chained to the mill with the tire running direct against the pulley.  The guy that ran it said he had a devil of a time getting it set right.  Had a certain tire pressure it ran ok at, coated the pulley with something tar like to get traction, and went through tires fairly frequent (though he may have been running junk to begin with).  I considered buying that mill, but would have set up with a tractor PTO or old semi running gear.  I may still do something like this, but I've suddenly got a house to refurbish first. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Gearbox

Wayback40 That will work but you will need to find out where the speed sensor is that controls the cruse . Then you should be able to cut body parts away . Use the cruse control for RPM control . One of the first mills I ran was a 40 Buick with a sreight 8 .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

moodnacreek

one of the problems with light power is that often the engine is not at max. tourqe r.p.m. whilethe saw is at it's proper speed. years ago I ran a bellsaw with an a.c. b-125 power unit running 1600 r.p.m. and the saw 600 but it would not saw. I  increased the dia. of the engine pully 1/2 inch and slowed the engine to 1450 and cut 14" deep in aspen with a 40" saw 32 teeth.this taught me a lot about  small engines on sawmills. if everything matches up  and not to maney teeth in the saw 50 hp is ok.         nice looking rig.

dgdrls

Quote from: wayback40 on March 01, 2017, 09:07:06 PM
Looking for some opinions and thoughts.  Not sure if I should start a new thread or continue with this one.  My nephew wrecked a 2005 Ford Crown Victoria.  Long story but he drove it between two poles and just side swiped each side of the car.  However the insurance company is totaling it out.  They are giving him the option to keep it.  It has a 4.6L V8.  I think I can get it for $750 or less.  I am wondering about two options.  The first one is setting it on blocks and running the belt from the either the tire or set up a pulley on the rear axle.  The second would be to pull the engine and put together a stand alone power unit.  I guess the third option would be it isn't worth it.  Keep in mind I am running the mill for my own milling only.  This is not a business venture.  Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Hold the $750 and keep looking for a stationary diesel.
As others have indicated a Detroit or similar would be the way to go.

D

lyle niemi

I run my mill with a 350 cummins

Iwawoodwork

This last year I saw two different working circle mills that were powered with freight truck diesels that the truck frame was cut behind the transmission and mounted to the mill. The driveline direct to the saw. one was complete from the front bumper to back of the hood, including the front axle. 

Also your local scrap guys may have cheap diesel engines. I purchased an AC35000 diesel with 3 large hydraulic pumps on it from a scrapper for $400. He also has 3 Detroit 4-71s behind his shop that would go cheap. I also see a number of old combines and swathers sitting/parked in the weeds at local farms, might get a good buy there. I once bought an old combine (Int gas) for $50 could not believe all of the pulleys, cylinders, bearings etc, that came off that thing.

wayback40

Thanks for all the thoughts and opinions.  I have always been one to look at any and all options.  At least with FF I am able to get other opinions before I jump into what I think is a good option only to find out later - not so much.
Wood-Mizer LT15

wayback40

I wanted to say thanks for all who gave their opinions and answered my questions about the Frick mill.  I was in the process of buying the mill from a friend of my father-in-laws last November.  My father-in-law was going to be the chief mechanic and welder while teaching me.  We ran the mill for a couple days before last Thanksgiving and then put it in the barn for the winter.  The plan was to layout a building and come up with a dedicated power unit over the winter.  Well about 2 weeks after Thanksgiving he was diagnosed with cancer and we lost him the end of January.  I tried to keep the dream of the mill alive but without him I finally had to be honest with myself and let it go.  His friend had called and said under the circumstances if I didn't want to keep it he would take it back and that is what we did.  Long story short, I then listed it on the Forum for sale for him and it looks like next April it will be going to a good home.  There was some confusion I believe on the Forum with the for sale add since I didn't explain the above. 

In the mean time I have purchased a WM LT15 and have it set up and running.  I couldn't let my dream of milling my own lumber die but I had to go with something I can handle on my own.  I can't wait to see the Frick mill running next year under the new owner.  I will say, I really like my WM LT15 but it just doesn't get your heart pumping like running or watching the Frick mill make lumber.
Wood-Mizer LT15

dgdrls

wayback40,

very sorry to hear of your loss.
Pleased though you have chosen to stay and share your story with the FF

D

Thank You Sponsors!