iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2016 woodland mills hm126

Started by Minnesota cowbo, February 04, 2017, 09:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minnesota cowbo

I bought a woodland mills hm126, with a xtra track extension. We were really excited to get it set up , spend the nice winter day in Minnesota in the heated garage with my daughter puting this thing together. All went perfectly, till we went to place the head into the tracking. The instructions were specific, measure 30.5 inches outside to outside of tracking, but the head unit double race wheels measure 30.25 centered. So the entire head unit won't track. There is not enough slack in tracking g wholes to shrink tracking to 30.25, and tried to take a set of spacers out of one side of head unit and use a washer, but still can't get the 30.5 I need. Anyone else have this problem or tips that I may have done wrong.
Also after installing the cables and adjusted them so both sides of the head unit were equal, I raised unit with crank, goes up, but not the smoothest, and binds up going down , tried readjust, no go, still binds up. Anyone else have these problems or have some tips, can't wait to Mill so.e wood, upgraded from an Alaskan Mill with a jonsred 2172 with a 36" bar.

Darrel

Welcome to the forum Minnesota cowbo! 

Can't be of much help, but I think I'd be calling Woodland Mills at first opportunity.

Good luck!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

scmilling

Hi there Minnesota cowbo.
I had a similar issue when assembling my hm126. The guide instructions seemed to assume that everything goes perfectly everytime . My headrig just wouldnt stay on the rails, always trying to climb off one side or the other.  So after being sure rails were parallel, I loosened off all the fittings on the head gave it a shake and ran it up and the rails a few times to make head and track align with each other. This also took out the clunkiness of the lowering slides. The instructions don't mention that it is possible to build the head out of square. Loosening it all again on the rails helps get this right.  Just don't forget to re tighten once she glides freely.
If only I could get to grips with the measuring scale. Me and it just aren't getting on at all!
Good luck and keep talking to us.
Shaun
-Think I need a bigger hammer !

sawmilljoe

ya your head is out of square. loose it up and loosen the track bolts run it up and down the track and it should set it self . on the scale put it with the 1 starting at the bottom take a metal yard stick and put in the middle of the 2 inch and 1 inch scale  screw it there put head 1 inch from deck set line one 1 inch on yard stick and leave it there . gives you your true size from deck on yard stick and board thickness on others with kerf added . hope this has been some help. happy milling

DannyLand

Mine is a 2014 model but I had similar issues when assembling.  Turn to the page where it gives exact measurements on track width and ignore everything it says. Mine also measured out at 30.25 so thats what I made my track with to be.   I actually loosened all the track bolts and tightened them with the head just above it at the lowest setting to be sure it will fit. As for the head tracking up and down, its important to make sure everything is square on the uprights and that the head adjustment cables are adjusted correctly.  Make sure the head locks are loose enough around the pipes and there is no welding debris stuck to something. 
Woodland Mills HM126, Hudson debarker, Jonsered 2171, New Holland skid steer, 1955 International Harvester Dump 132

DannyLand

As for the scale, its helpful on your first cut if youre looking for a specific number, but then its easiest to just count cranks of the handle.   It roughly comes out to one revolution equals 1/4".   Five cranks down makes a good 5/4 board, so on and so forth.  Its not 100% accurate but its more than close enough for rough sawing and its the easiest way to keep consistent. I always bottom the handle out at 6 oclock to help maintain consistency and start and end my counts there. The scale doesnt take into account the kerf of the blade, after 5 cuts, youve lost almost 3/8 of material and will need to keep zeroing the depth gauge.  The yard stick is great if youre cutting larger beams so you know the depth off the deck and I fully support that idea but when slicing up boards off the top, just count the turns of the handle.   
Woodland Mills HM126, Hudson debarker, Jonsered 2171, New Holland skid steer, 1955 International Harvester Dump 132

goose63

What part of Minn you in may I ask. I have the same mill if your not to far away I might be able to come help

I'm 60 miles south of Fargo. 8) 
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

scmilling

Nice advice on the yardstick Sawmilljoe. That's exactly what I need for resawing cants etc and such a simple solution.
Forestry forum is the best.
Happy sawing Minnesota Cowbo.
Shaun
-Think I need a bigger hammer !

Minnesota cowbo

Thanks for all the great advice. Went back out today, loosened all the support bolts on the head unit, rechecked tracking to make sure it was all still level. Gave the whole head unit some good shakes, and it straightened right up on the tracking. Tightened the nuts, and it tracked perfectly. Which also made the crank going up and down to go smoothly.
All the advice was very helpful. Thank you.
We will be firing up next weekend to play and get used to it. Excited to Mill some lumber for our summer projects. We put on a haunted trail, and this will save us a ton on lumber and siding for sure.

Jeff

The Forestry Forum is awesome I must say. ;) :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

goose63

Quote from: Jeff on February 05, 2017, 01:19:05 PM
The Forestry Forum is awesome I must say. ;) :)

Yes Sir it sure is 8) now if the BOSS could just get it to warm up he would be da man
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

sawmilljoe

Briankinley2004

Glad you got it fixed. On my HM130 it said to leave the bolts loose or most of them until you set on the track so it will square up. However I agree the directions are sketchy in places and never really say when to tighten them in the process. I also put the angled support carriage posts on wrong side. They look identical but one had holes drilled for the push bar. Had to take it all apart and swap as directions never pointed this out.

fishfighter

OP. do make sure you check your blade alignment again. Also, check it after sawing a couple logs.

Thank You Sponsors!