iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying Maple

Started by Wyatt, December 04, 2004, 04:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyatt

Hi Guys, I too have a 15' section of insulated refer trailer with an EBAC which has worked great so far. I did put in additional insulation 1" double foil faced John Mansville product, worked great.

Now to the question, I'm getting some 3000' hard maple end of December and I have never dried it. I understand the many problems with it. Do you gents with DHs put it in immeadiately or AD a little first? I really don't want any stain.
Thanks much, I have read forum for a long time now and sad to say this is my first post! Very much enjoy it.
graberwoodworking.com

Brad_S.

Welcome Wyatt.  8)

I use a Nyle and air dry all my material first primarily to save energy costs, but also because most drying damage is done in the first part of the drying process. I don't have time to monitor the kiln as close as I should to avoid problems, so I let nature do it nice and easy in a covered shed. As you know, the big worry is sticker stain, but using profiled stickers minimizes that. Restacking after a couple weeks helps as well but 3000 bdft is a lot of stacking. :D  Staining shouldn't be a problem at this time in WI, too cold, but then not muching drying will happen either. I would sticker it but keep it moving through the kiln so that you are through the stack by spring.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Don_Lewis

If you want to dry Hard Maple and keep the color the best, if you have an LD3000, you should dry batches of not more than 750 board feet each. If you are in a cold part of the world, you can air dry and keep color, but don't do that when the temperature is over 60F (16C). If you air dry below 25-30% you can put in larger loads but you will take proportionately longer and you may not be able to keep the color well enough to command premium prices. Keep the temperature well under 100F (38C) until you are below 25%.It is also best to use sticks like Breeze-Dried

Avalancher

Breeze dried? What are those?

Brad_S.

Breeze Dry stickers is a brand name for a profiled sticker. They have raised ridges running across them at an angle to minimize board contact. I don't know how to add links yet, but I'm sure they must have a web site.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

longhorn

Hi guys,

I just found and posted this website link on another one of the forums and i see you may be having trouble finding more info on the breeze dried sticks also so here is the link, it should help you out a bit, especially with your high grade white woods  :)  good luck

www.breezedried.com

Thank You Sponsors!