iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead Head cypress. How good for posts and beam?

Started by mypod1, February 02, 2017, 03:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mypod1

So, I am new to this forum, only posted one time. I'm learning.
I'm building a pergola and a roofed arbor, pretty big, at least for me. I would like to use cypress, but I'm learning that I need to use old growth cypress for longevity. I've found "dead head" cypress, actually a mill that can fill my order, but it's not as cheap as new cypress, of course.
I really don't know ANYTHING about "dead head" cypress. I have learned, as of today, where it comes from (bottom of rivers), that it's old stuff (80-120 years old), and that once exposed to oxygen, it's dynamics will change for sure. Is this good or bad? That's what I don't know. I mean, compared to new growth cypress, I understand it's better, will last longer.

BUT, in general, how long will it hold up outdoors? Would I need to baby this wood, constantly seal and preserve it? Would it last longer than PT YP? I know it would look nicer.

Anybody with experience with dead head cypress?

Thanks.

samandothers

Can't help ya with an answer but thought I'd say hey and welcome.  So Hey and Welcome!

fishfighter

OP, were do you live at? Old cypress around these parts are big money. Outstanding color when it is sawed out.

As far as lasting longer to the weather without sealing it or young growth cypress, the color will turn gray over time. How long before rot? That really depends on how you set the post at the ground. I have some old cypress post that I used to build a firewood rack. Built that over 20 years ago and the post are in the ground. Still holding up real good. That should give you an idea. ;D

LeeB

You seem to be stuck on cypress. Why not come out of the ground with PT pine for a foot or two and then switch over to cypress? I'm assuming you will have in ground posts?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

mypod1

I live in NW FL, near Pensacola. I have 9-6x6x16' PT post already in the ground, 4-5' surrounded by 425lbs of cement each. The cypress posts and beams would not touch soil, post will be set off the cement porch by 1' steel brackets. I am considering using 100 + year old barn beams I found the other day, mostly heart pine though. I don't know anything about 100 yo heart pine, but these things have been sitting out in the weather for several years and look to be strong and in tack. I can have them milled and dressed from their now 8x8 to 6x6, to fit my custom brackets and then seal them. I was told that boiled linseed oil sprayed on about every other year would be a good sealer, but not sure.

Thank You Sponsors!