iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

roof design for a 24x24 garage

Started by KyleHilmer, February 03, 2017, 12:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyleHilmer

I am in the planning stages for a 24'x24' garage.  My original research led me to Sobon's 12x16 shed (from Timber Frame Construction) and expanding it to a 24' length and widening it to 16'.  An 8' x 24" shed expansion would be necessary to get enough space for 2 cars.  Just this morning I found Preston's "16x24 with 8' farmers porch" that is extremely close to what I need.  He even describes enclosing the porch as I need to do. 

My problem is the 12/12 roof pitch.  I really want a 6/12 pitch to match my house and timber frame entry porch.  I also want a lower garage roof line that doesn't compete with the house. So my question is this. Will I be able to use Sobon's design (4x6 common rafters, 8x10 tie beams, 8x8 posts, 8x8 plates)  with a lower 6/12 pitch?  Or do I have to scale up to a ridge beam, king post, or other measures to handle the increased forces of the lower pitched roof?  I really want to avoid a center post in the middle bent that would obstruct car doors from opening.  Given my modest skill level the simplest frame would be the best. 

ChugiakTinkerer

Not much advice to offer but I do want to say welcome to the forum.  Regarding your questions about the roof pitch, for those that do have experience and helpful advice it will probably help them to know what snow load you are designing for.  Could you give some more detail on your location, or perhaps what the ground snow load is in your area?

Last question: is an 8' wide extension big enough for the vehicle you have in mind?  It seems a little narrow to me, but then again I am a big guy that likes big trucks.

[Edit to add]: Answering my own question, the expansion would be for storage and the main building for cars.  Gotcha.
Woodland Mills HM130

KyleHilmer

Just south of Helena Montana with a 45 pound snow load

The cars will enter the bays from the non-gable sides.  Each bay will be 12' wide. 16' on a gable end is too narrow for 2 cars.  I need the 8' deep shed for the depth (16' for the main building width plus 8" for the shed) to handle 15-16' long cars or a 20' long pickup.

RPF2509

It you put on a metal roof, snow will slide off and block non gable end doors. Or asphalt shingle roof will drip and freeze in front of doors.  Go in from the gable ends if you can.  I live in snow country and have seen too may times when a building's door is not designed to consider snow. It is a constant hassle to deal with snow or melt.  Think about wind direction too - drifts can pile high but wind can help ventilate too or too much

Remle

Have you thought about using a heavy timber frame truss? That would eliminate the center post. Maybe build 24 X 30 with 10 ft spacing on side wall post with heavy timber frame truss atop each post and a ridge beam between post, with rafters spaced at 2ft. I'm not an engineer/ designer but some one should be able to figure it out, surfing the web I came across Accenttruss.com, an engineering firm whom claim to be certified in 50 states.

KyleHilmer

Thanks for the information.  I'll be using asphalt shingles that match the house.  I could place an entry door on the gable end, but I can't have the cars enter on a gable end.  That would require a 24' span on the gable end and a very heavy and tall roof line.  A hillside and row of trees restrict me to a 24x24 size.  I'm very familiar with the snow melt and freezing off a non-gable side.  I have an identical roof edge and roof slope one size of my house.

Brad_bb

Please post a pic of your proposed building, where you want the doors etc., and maybe the site and it's orientation. 
Posting pics here is a bit different than other sites.  You go to your gallery, create and album if you don't have one already, and upload the pic to that album.  Then you go to that pic in your album and there is a button to post the picture code into your post. 

When you start a new post, start writing it and leave your cursor where you want the pic to be.  Then in a separate tab, open the gallery, your album, and your picture.  Then you can hit that post pic in post button.  The code will appear in the post.  Go back to the post you were writing, and finish your post.  If you have multiple pics, you may want to put a space between  by putting a return or two between the picture codes. You may want to do that so they look better in the post.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!