iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TJ transfer case leak

Started by mf40diesel, February 01, 2017, 07:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf40diesel

Been out pulling wood with the old 'Jack, '66 225. She does pretty good, although need some rear chains. Where I am in western Maine we still have nearly 2' of snow in the woods. Solid inch of crust on top which one can almost walk on top of... well, My dad can, I am a bit stouter so I typically punch threw. ;). Mealy snow underneath makes my drive line shudder which I am real careful about don't want a broken planetary. 

Anyhow, that was a long winded intro...  been noticing a drip from my transfer case. I believe it's the bottom shaft, still ciphering that out. It seems like i could change that seal in place. Pull the drive shaft, the universal yoke, and then the seal housing.  Anyone have experience with that?
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

Neilo

Yes you can. I think you can even leave the seal housing in place. The gasket for them is required for spacing. I bet you need a speedi sleeve as well as the seal.

OntarioAl

As Neilo says speedy sleeve and new seal
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

mf40diesel

Thanks for the advice. Seems pretty straightforward, Davco or Harolds I guess could sell a speedy sleeve?  Never messed with one of them.

My mud season list is growing pretty darn long!
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

OntarioAl

Take the yoke in to get the properly size the speedy sleeve. Its job is to create a smooth sealing surface for the new seal.
cheers
Al
Al Raman

ehp

I put speedy sleeves in my transfer case and new seals , no problems sense

Thank You Sponsors!