TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: 40" oak tree to chain saw mill into table tops  (Read 2451 times)

Offline RPowers

• Full Member x2
    • NWA Sawmill
Re: 40" oak tree to chain saw mill into table tops
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 11:25:07 pm »

Post oak bark doesn't look like the pic.    Steve

Looks exactly like Post oak bark around here, butt cut too. Sometimes the Post's here have a more platey bark, but not always.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 05:05:42 am »

http://www.carolinanature.com/trees/quma6.html

Nothing like the bark  in the pic plus way too much sapwood for any oak                              Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 05:25:58 am »
I can't see any rays in the picture and Oregon is a long way from it's native range.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, Ford 851 tractor, JD 3032 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton and 2005 1 ton Dodge 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Clark

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 09:11:52 am »
Nice log! It will be interesting to see that thing opened up.

I never saw much ash when I was out there but everything about that trees looks like the native Garry oak (Quercus garryana) that grows out there.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 10:07:42 am »
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 10:18:55 am »

Offline FalconFan

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2017, 11:00:40 am »
On longer logs I like to use large nails and run a board across them for my first cut.  I spike a nail in on one end and measure to the center of the log, go to the opposite end of the log and spike a nail in till the head is the same distance away from the center of the log as the first.  Next a run a between the two nails and spike a nail in every 2ish feet and make the nail level with the string. Lastly, I just us a level to add the second row of nails about 6-8 inches beside the first row. Ive gotten where I can do this in just a couple of minutes and I dont have to worry about adding shims to keep the middle of a ladder from bowing.

Offline ozarkgem

• Senior Member x2
  • age 65 yrs old
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 06:43:08 pm »
Don't know about Oregon trees, but if it were here it would be post oak.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Offline Darrel

• Gettin' it done!
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 07:02:43 pm »
No post oak in Oregon unless it's an illegal immigrant.
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline ozarkgem

• Senior Member x2
  • age 65 yrs old
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2017, 08:25:30 pm »
No post oak in Oregon unless it's an illegal immigrant.
Got me then don't know what it is. Outside my range.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2017, 08:57:48 pm »
Lots of white oaks, regardless of specific group, nice log very solid, could not help to notice the last bit of hold wood, and wedge witness marks, 
Lt-40 super Cat 51hp, smith single head resaw, 362,310 stihl, and a nice real, nice small poulan!  585D Case loader, only one dog, some kind of a mess right now, but learning.

Offline josh j

• I'm new!
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2017, 12:50:03 am »
I just ordered the MS880 and a 59" bar, granberg mill, and anchor seal.  Would having someone spray the end of the bar with water from a weed sprayer help keep the bar cool?

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2017, 05:11:58 am »
 Sure is going to make some nice white ash slabs

Steve

Offline xlogger

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2017, 06:23:36 am »
for sure that's a ash and a nice one.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline DannyLand

• I'm new here but been around.
    • My woodworking project and Home Inspection site
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2017, 07:02:34 am »
Leave an iron nail or basic 12d common nail lying on the bare wood with some internal moisture present, if the wood stains black around the nail soon after, its some type of Oak, if it doesnt, its Ash.  At least thats what works here in Ct, who knows, maybe your northwestern ash have more tanins or acids in them.  I cant let the tines on my skid steer touch the oak for even a second before it stains it.
    No matter what it is, its going to be a great looking board coming out the end of the process.  The cooler the blade can be and the more help removing chips from the gullets, the smoother its going to cut for you, so yes, it would help having some sort of spray system going.  I would think on a log that large, youre going to want a second person on the dead end of the mill to help get it through the log smoothly unless you have some sort of cranking system with your mill to help drag it down the length.  Good luck with it!
Woodland Mills HM126, Hudson debarker, Jonsered 2171, New Holland skid steer, 1955 International Harvester Dump 132

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2017, 09:13:11 am »
I've got to say the last most recent photo in my mind shows a different angle and view of the bark,  if these folks say its ash, I would be inclined to believe them, I've never seen an ash, I've seen some finished boarded, and to me, it resembles oak, its pretty, no doubt those slabs will be,
Lt-40 super Cat 51hp, smith single head resaw, 362,310 stihl, and a nice real, nice small poulan!  585D Case loader, only one dog, some kind of a mess right now, but learning.

Offline Darrel

• Gettin' it done!
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2017, 09:59:45 am »
Oak that tall and straight anywhere in the west just doesn't happen. Besides, it does look like ash.
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline Gundog

• I'm new!
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2017, 01:22:04 am »
Looks interesting I am just across the river from you in WA if you need a hand sawing it up I could give you a hand. I am 56 years young and have no experience milling but I have ran a few saws. I would be interested in learning how to slab out a big log. Send me a PM and I will give you my contact info if you are interested in a helping hand.

Mike

Offline RPF2509

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2017, 12:26:31 pm »
Get or rig up a supplemental oiler for the bar.  You'll need a valve to control the flow.  That is probably Oregon white oak - a beautiful wood but a long time drying and HEAVY wet or dry. A 2" slab will need a gang of people or a piece of machinery - field looks pretty wet now - maybe sticker and cover on site (above the rain splash) and move later when things dry out.  A ladder and plumbers tape with wedges works well. A little fiddling to get straight and level but it is a fairly quick setup.
www.forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/23409/thanksgiving_005.JPG
www.forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/23409/thanksgiving_005

Offline RPF2509

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2017, 12:31:10 pm »
Yeah Jeff so the picture thing is a bit of a challenge if you don't do it much.  It works but is not very intuitive.  I've been on other forums where it takes about 15 seconds never having done it before.  In any case thanks for the opportunity and I understand if it has to be a certain way for whatever reason.