iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hey there Southerners...ever eaten this before?

Started by Paschale, December 03, 2004, 08:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

So I was surfing the web, and came up with a recipe for VINEGAR PIE!   :o  Sounds awful to me, but it's supposed to be an old southern standby, and tasty...any of you FFers south of the Mason-Dixon line tried it?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_17066,00.html
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

sprucebunny

That recipe sounds better than others I've seen cause of all the lemon flavoring. I never made it but I think the vinegar just adds TANG.
 ;D
Check out page 44 in the Joy of cooking for a Forestry drink made with vinegar.....
Fruit shrubs :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Paschale

Hmm...but if you added TANG, wouldn't it be more orangey then lemony?   :D

Furby

Just had orange baked ham for the first time tonight. ;)

Texas Ranger

Yup, but still hard to beat a southern pecan pie.  Or chess pie, or sweet tator pie, or...........................DanG, got to go get something to eat.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WH_Conley

Maybe I,m not far enough south, but I aint never heard of that.
Kinda partial to apple myself.
Bill

TN_man

WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Tom

I've heard of it but never had any.  Somebody put some vinegar in an apple pie my wife got from the store the other day and it was so tart that I couldn't breathe for a minute.  Don't think I like vinegar in pie. :-/

Jeff

Quote Don't think I like vinegar in pie. :-/

Yep. I agree, kinda like gettin grits in yer eggs. BLAH! ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

See!  There you go again.   I tried and tried to show you how to do it and you just won't listen. :-/

Y'er s'posed to put the eggs in the grits :P ::)    No wonder you're having trouble with y'er taste buds ;D

Norm

That's kinda how I do it with a little variation. First I put the grits in my chickens and then eat the eggs. :D

Larry

Way to go Norm ;D   I knew somebody had a good recipe for grits. :D :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Timber_Framer

:D According to Norm I had a bacon, cheese and grits omlet this morning ;D
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Fla._Deadheader

You Yankees can knock them Grits all ya want. I read about that LUTE stuff Y'all make up there. I believe that's what the school used to give ya for pastin paper together.  ;) ;)

Had some Hush Puppies with Vinegar in 'em. ANOTHER Yankee variation on how to ruin GOOD food.  :) :) :) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ohsoloco

Vinegar is supposed to go on souse and french fries.  A nice plate of souse smothered in vinegar will get your lips smackin'  :-*

Timber_Framer

I don't eat that Lutyfisk either :o
But I have tried the Canadian's love for vinegar on fries, not bad. I like gravy better, wierd but tasty.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Ya got me.  ??? ??? ??? ???  I read it here on the forum. Comes from upper Yankee Land  ??? ??? ??? ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sandmar

Nope......never heard of vinegar pie........and after reading the recipe let me be one of the first to say EWWWWWWW! Had lots of pecan and key lime over Thanksgiving...mmmmmmm

Sandmar

DanG

I ain't much for eating pie, or other sweets, for that matter. I usually just get another serving of grits fer dessert. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ga_Boy

I ain't never herd of this Viniger pie myself.  I did spend my first 21 years in Georgia and sometimes it took a while for things to get where they were going.

With the limited time I have spent North of the Masson Dixon Line, I am convienced that the unfortunite ones up there are handicaped in the what tastes good department.  I believe it comes form all that cold weather and it effects their tast buds.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

ARKANSAWYER

I have had a bait or two of it.  It will make you pucker up a bit like a perssimon 'fore a hard freeze.  It is not bad and if you got no grits it is good.
  Now I was wondering how many have had squirrel brains and scrambled eggs?   ???  Or another fine southern dish of red eye gravey?   ???  And by the way gravey should be a fork food.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

sawguy21

A couple I know went on a honeymoon to Memphis. She asked for some buns with breakfast and the waitress gave her a strange look. When the waitress figured out what my friend wanted she slapped herself on the butt and declared"Honey, dems is buns" and pointing to the food"dems is biscuits". My friend still turns red when that story comes up.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Paschale

Quote    Now I was wondering how many have had squirrel brains and scrambled eggs?  

Hmm...never had any squirrel brains--are they tasty with the scrambled eggs?   :o

I've eaten sweetbreads with mashed potatoes though, otherwise known as a cow's thymus gland.  They're TASTY!   ;)  I've eaten some snails before--they were alright, and sound a lot better when you call 'em escargot.  

Ain't never had me no grits though...   :D

Swede

There is a small bakery making doughnuts and when I drive by there I sometimes stop and buy a box of them. The man who owns the bakery is very nice and like jokes. Once he asked: Do You want them doughnuts filled with apple preserve,  raspberry jam,  vanilla or  ..............shrimps?  :o
It was one of these 2 days a year my brain works so I asked for doughnuts with tinned sprats cured in brine.  ;D

Nowadays he never offers me shrimps filled doughnuts.

Swede.

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Thank You Sponsors!