The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: The best clearing saw / brush cutter  (Read 6136 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
Re: The best clearing saw / brush cutter
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2017, 02:41:41 pm »

Amick's in North Carolina sells both the 8" (200mm) Maxi Blades and the 9" (225 mm) Maxi Blade. They advertise as "Windsor" brand, but there is a note saying "It will be labeled Carlton, Oregon or Windsor, all are from the same manufacturer." THese have the 25mm/1" arbor hole. Both are described as Swedish steel.

Yes, they are all the exact same blade from same place.

Stihl "Maxi" is Japanese steel.

Some people will file them down to hardly any tooth left. I never go that far with them, they won't cut as good past a certain point, especially in 4"-6" hardwood or spruce. Way more productive to reach for another blade. I'd rather spent $25 to make an extra $300, then to loose $300 production to save $25. :D

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
  • NH TC33D w/ forestry mods, Uniforest 35E winch
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2017, 04:24:52 pm »
I couldn't find the Stihl Maxi on the Stihl USA web site.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2017, 01:25:34 am »
And Stihl Canada doesn't either. And you really have to dig on their site to find the chisel and scratcher tooth blades.

Windsor Maxi  Not available though. They sell them here at Husqvarna shops.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline AnvilRW

• I'm new!
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2017, 01:50:33 pm »
We have a Stihl 560 and using their chisel toothed blades it will wack through a 3" to 4" gambel oak in one slice if they're green.   You kinda' have to work on your technique, but you just swing at them from left to right and it will pop right through in one stroke.  If find it too cumbersome and slow to actually put the blade up to one and try to saw through it conventionally.  We use it for the trail clearing, but like a chainsaw, you hit one rock or too much dirt and you'll spend a lot of time sharpening the blades.  It's an invaluable tool for spot clearing but I've found that an ATV with tow behind trail cutter is much better and faster if you can manage the terrain.  If I can drive the ATV over it, the trail cutter will cut it.
"A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us."