iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BSMilling Newbie Question

Started by alabama, January 30, 2017, 08:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alabama

Some know that I posted a previous thread on CSM. I found one that would cost me around $3,000 to have it shipped to my location. I'm keeping my options open and wanted to get some advice again.

Here is a BSM setup http://www.hud-son.com/products/product-detail/sawyer-sawmill
it isn't expensive. Cost less than the CSM that I was looking at. Plus free shipping!

I know it isn't a big setup but I'm trying to keep my cost down. Can you do a fair amount of board in an 8 hour day vs the CSM? I'll be cutting mostly pine.

Thanks,
Alabama
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

WV Sawmiller

I'd be very surprised if you could not saw more and better lumber with almost any reputable dealers entry level mill than most any CSM. I don't know of any particular complaints about Hudson but I would also check with the other sponsors listed here including the used ones. I'd still try to go observe similar sized mills in use. Good luck and War Eagle.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I would lean toward Woodland Mills.  There are many satisfied owners here on the FF, plus they are a FF Sponsor.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kensfarm

What are your goals for owning a sawmill?  For yourself..  sellng lumber?  If your pine trees are 24" and the sawmill max cut is 18"..  now you have another problem.  Make a list of questions.. get them answered.. then shop/compare mills specs.  Just watching the dealer videos of manual and hydraulic sawmills will show how they are operated.  Hope you find the sawmill that meets your needs.    Welcome to the Forestry Forum! 

Edit:  Sorry.. didn't read your chainsaw mill post first.  Good Luck! 

Brad_bb

I bought my mill from Wood Mizer in part because the are one of the most recognized bandsaw mill companies.  I know that a WM mill will hold value well should you need to sell it later.  I also figured they'd been in the game so long that they'd have worked all the design bugs out. 

They are selling their entry level LT10 for $4395 and the LT15 is on special for $7095.  I own the LT15.  18hp gas engine.  I opted for the LT15 because I'd rather spend a little more upfront than regret not doing so later.  I also needed to stay with a 2 rail mill for an accessory I was buying.  The bigger mills cannot use the beam planer I wanted.

So of course I'm going to recommend Woodmizer.  You can always sell it later and get decent money for it if you take car of it.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

fishfighter

The draw back is what size logs one can mill. I have a Woodland 126 which will saw a log to about 30", but that is a lot of extra work. They state logs up to 26" for this mill.

Yes, the bigger the mill, the bigger one will need support equipment. More so on a manual mill. Keep that in mine.

That mill looks to be one built to be used way in the boon docks that can be packed in for a homesteader. That leaves me to believe it is built very lite. That also leads me to believe it will not last that long or get out of whack/bent easy. There is not much meat there.

terrifictimbersllc

Anyone milling with a CSM and 660 or 880 setup for 8 hours will have most of his questions about CSM milling answered.  And (at the 8 hour point) one will have a saw that is useful for many years of any type of wood collecting, BSM or otherwise. So the cost of this experiment is the cost of the associated CSM milling apparatus less what it could be sold for.  Personally I wouldn't want to be CSM milling boards next to a forest full of trees with buildings to build.

Alternatively, if you already have a chain saw that can fell and buck your logs you could skip that phase, and the phase of a $2-3K bandsaw mill, look at an LT-15 type purchase. You mentioned in your other thread that you had a lot of available timber to mill and that you have already established that you have used and probably intend to use a lot of lumber. And that you are already a significant player in wood economics to the tune of $24K.  The extra expense of the right $7-8K mill will soon pay itself back in time savings and quality of lumber, and when it is sold or traded recoup the difference.   The "savings" of a $2-3K mill may be an illusion.

There is a tendency to believe that a tool will do everything one wants but in reality the "wants" change when the tool arrives but the performance remains within the limitations of the tool.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

goose63

I'm with MM on the woodland mill Ihave the 126 and like it.

Hudson makes a good mill but I think the one you are looking at might be a little on the lite side for what you will be doing.

Just my thoughts good luck at the one you pick.
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

drobertson

If you are getting a mill, at least look for the most hp with moveable blade guides, blade flex can eat your lunch,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

alabama

Thank you everyone for all the help and advice. I really appreciate it. I'll make up my mind over the upcoming weekend. Both have advantages. I also do need something mobile and not stationary. I'm glad I found this Forestry Forum it is now officially my home away from home! Thanks again!
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

WV Sawmiller

If you don't buy one that already comes on a trailer (like an LT15GO or equivalent) I think you will find most of the smaller mills are pretty easily loaded on a truck or utility  trailer. I would personally want any mill I had to be trailer mounted. I would also want the extra height. I know the manufacturers brag on the easy loading of the small entry level mills where you can just roll a log on with a cant hook but my back aches every time I watch the videos of the guys bending over to clamp a log and even worse to remove a slab, flitch or board.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brad_bb

Quote from: alabama on January 31, 2017, 04:00:44 PM
I also do need something mobile and not stationary.

That changes things.  Then I'd recommend an LT15GO like i have.  $8790.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

trapper

Have you checked for anything used in your area?  Few years ago I picked up a lt30 with 300 hours for $5000.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

WV Sawmiller

Trapper is right. Just checked sawmill exchange (sponsor on left) and a couple of mills in Tennessee and one in Fla. Any of these might be in range. This changes frequently but well worth checking.
Howard Green

Treehack

You should also check out EZ Boardwalk Junior.

http://www.ezboardwalk.com/Item/ezboardwalk-junior

Mill with trailer package is $4700.  It is made with heavy duty steel and I believe would be adequately sized for the use you have outlined.  I've also heard good things about their service. 
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

never finished

I have owned a Hud-Son for several years. No complaints. Very good people to help you over the phone. What few parts that have to be bought through them are reasonable. But... The mill you have picked is just big enough to make you want a sawmill. I absolutely understand the money part. If you have to wait a little while it will be worth it to get something like the ez or woodland. (Not trying to pick a saw for you.) But something a little bigger and heaver will last a long time and saw a lot of lumber. A little at a time. Dennis. 

Thank You Sponsors!