iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MM880 or MS 661 C-M

Started by alabama, January 30, 2017, 04:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alabama

I'm in the process of possibly setting up a chainsaw mill using the Norwood Porta Mill. I have the option of purchasing the Stihl MM880 or MS 661 C-M.

My question is this... If you had the option of purchasing either of the two just for the mill which would you go with? I know the M880 is over kill for cutting the trees down in my area but the power might be what I need on the chainsaw mill.

Would love to hear your thoughts and help would be appreciated before I spend a fair amount of hard earned cash!  I also notice that there is a M880 R. What is the major difference in the R?

Thanks,
Alabama
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

DelawhereJoe

Who has ever said "I wish this thing didn't have so much power"....most of the time its...."I wish this had more power".
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

celliott

Dedicated milling saw, if the price doesn't scare you, get the 880. Don't get the R model, that's the full wrap handle and wouldn't be much use milling.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

alabama

I figured the M880. But I figured I'd ask. One is $800 or so less. But I can use the M880 for other things too. It's a monster at 21 plus pounds I think.

On the bar size what would you recommend for chain saw milling with the Norwood PortaMill. I know what the manuals states but wanted to get opinions on that too!

Thanks fellas!

Jesper Jepsen

I wouldn't go above 20" when the tip of the bar is not supported, it simply bends and you won't be able to make straight cuts.
I'm running a MS 661 with a 36" bar on an Alaskan Mill and when putting the 25" bar on that saw and mill it flies and are almost impossible to stop so I wouldn't get the 880, not for that kind of mill. Different storey if you need to mill +36" logs.

Jesper

alabama

Good thing about the MS661 is that its much cheaper than the M880 and a lot lighter too. I hate the thought of having to use the MS880 to take down logs and with the M661 it would be dual purpose.

What kind of life expectancy should I see out of a M661 for bandsaw milling. I'm just wanting to mill a little here and there to complete the barn and for other small jobs for myself. I'm not wanting to mill full-time.

I also have a ranch MS391.

Thanks for everyone for the help.

Thank You Sponsors!