iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recommended logging helmet

Started by livemusic, January 30, 2017, 01:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

I am removing some small trees from my woodlot with my chainsaw and also getting some firewood from large, wind-downed oaks. I don't have a hardhat but want one. I try to be as careful as I can but it is definitely dangerous work. Can anyone recommend a good helmet? What is the latest and greatest or what is your favorite? I also use ear muffs or ear plugs but it might be easier if the muffs are part of the hat? I also would like to have a visor.
~~~
Bill

longtime lurker

any old hard hat will do: they build them all to the same standards from the same plastic, probably in the same factory even. They all seem designed to fit some other guys head too.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

OntarioAl

Check the one out in the Stihl add at the top of this page.
That would be just what you are looking for
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

Greyhound

I really like the Rockman product.  http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1377   To me, it's much more comfortable and better built than the basic Stihl/Husky/Peltor/3M models.

ehp

I just bought the better stihl one , seems pretty good , ear muffs are I think good to 110 DCB on this helmet

lshobie

Not all  helmets are created equal - I use the Pfanner Protus - amazing helmet - comfy, lightweight and is small with normal field of view unlike most:
https://www.pfannercanada.com/helmets
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

Plankton

I wear my old skull bucket full brim tin hat. I got it years ago and it has the dings and dents to prove it but it's still safe and keeps my head out of trouble. I would recommend a nice full brim tin hat.  I feel like it keeps me less isolated then the ones with muff and facesheilds. I can't wear those in the woods personally.

RHP Logging

Plank!  So right about the tin hat. Have had mine for years. How goes it?

Helmets. Funny. Reminds me of Spaceballs.
Buckin in the woods

Plankton

Pretty good! Just started in on a new peice this week. Lots of hemlock and ash. The weathers been pretty bad down here though. Too warm.

ehp

you guys donot have a law that your helmet can only be 3 years old max, all our helmets have the date they were made stamped in them and by govt law they must not be 3 years old when you get checked

Ed_K

4 yrs here in Ma. according to an OSHA rep that came to inspect our tree warden dept. One of my worker's cut his foot while cutting slash on a side hill next to the road. There's a pic in my gallery of the shoe when he got done with it  :o .
Ed K

Puffergas

Any rules in the USA for needing the screen face shield with the hard hat ??
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

John Mc

Quote from: ehp on February 03, 2017, 06:09:51 PM
you guys donot have a law that your helmet can only be 3 years old max, all our helmets have the date they were made stamped in them and by govt law they must not be 3 years old when you get checked

We do have a law, if it's used on the job (does not apply to personal/private use). I thought it was 5 years, but Ed_K may be right about 4 (unless it varies from state to state?)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!