iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Viking rubber boots - what size to get?

Started by OliG, January 29, 2017, 10:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OliG

Hello!

I'm using my saw more and more lately, and decided to get a pair of boots to complement my ppe kit.

I think i'm gonna go with the viking bushwhacker rubber boots, as they seems to be the standard affordable full protection boots. There is no place near who have them, so I'm considering a mail order, but I dont know wich size I should get... I usually wear a 10, so tought about ordering just that, but I read a couple of places where peoples say to get a size bigger for bama socks.

what size of boots did you viking owner choosed, and how is the fit? Is the bama socks really needed? I wont be using them in winter, mostly spring and summer.

Thanks !

HolmenTree

You don't need a bigger boot size for Bama socks in the Vikings. They are made a little loose to accept the Bama socks.
Viking or  Nokia boots were developed in Europe over the last 40 years with the Austrian made Bama socks to work together into a snug fit. The socks breathe keeping the foot drier .Advertised as "air conditioning " for the feet.

I have a size 10 foot and wear Bamas in size 43/10 Vikings.
I wear Bamas and the Vikings in spring and fall , leather in the summer.
Vikings size 45 (11.5) with full felt liners in winter.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

thecfarm

I have a pair in size 9,my normal size. I do wear 2 pair of stockings with them.
I wear mine in the winter and have no problems with cold feet. Mine has a felt bottom in them. If I am outside working,I have them on. Even in the garden. I wear them year around.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Furu

Different Vikings fit differently. The VW69-1 style/model fits exact size.  I am an 11 in both boots, shoes, and Vikings.  I do wear a slightly heavier weight sock in the VW69's.

I had never heard of Bama socks. 
Searched on it and the "Alabama  Crimson Tide" kept coming up ;D ;D
then final found a reference to these socket things. 

Is this what you are talking about?  http://www.gear-up.com/products/view/bama-socks-for-rubber-boots

OliG

Thanks a lot for the detailed anwser HolmenTree and thecfarm, I've been reading you both for a while, and know you knows your trade. I just ordered them in size 10 with a pair of bamas.

Yes Furu, theses are the one, I've never tried them either, but read everywhere than they are a must in rubber boots. Will see!

HolmenTree

Quote from: Furu on January 30, 2017, 06:58:57 AM
I had never heard of Bama socks. 
Searched on it and the "Alabama  Crimson Tide" kept coming up ;D ;D
then final found a reference to these socket things. 

Is this what you are talking about? http://www.gear-up.com/products/view/bama-socks-for-rubber-boots
That link doesn't open for me here in Canada.
It appears there is a problem finding Bama socks in the USA over the Internet.

I found this link from New Jersey with a good description of the product. Hope it works for you. You might have to click twice on the link.

https://www.durawear.com/bama-xtratuf-socks-for-boots-mfg-28500/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA5bvEBRCM6vypnc7QgMkBEiQAUZftQKnPdYxneLaFKUuMQFXMI6bMQODatMi-AZ8ymQWNMSUaAt158P8HAQ

thumper

I always get 1 size bigger for the felt liners. no extra socks needed that just makes your foot clumsy lol and you don't want that1.  I have 5 different styles of vikings. all size 11 and fit my size 10 foot great.
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

thumper

I also have some bama sock.. never use them. its way too cold here and if u don't use a felt type liner most Vikings will chaffe your shin nicely!
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

HolmenTree

Quote from: thumper on January 30, 2017, 07:34:38 PM
I also have some bama sock.. never use them. its way too cold here and if u don't use a felt type liner most Vikings will chaffe your shin nicely!
I don't wear my Bama socks for warmth, only to keep my feet dry and comfortable in the spring and fall with wet snow and slush on the ground.
Never had a problem with shin chaffing, the Bama's keep my feet snug in the boots preventing  flopping around.

In the winter I wear full felt liners in either my half leather rubber bottom Nokia's or my oversize full rubber high tops, along with Alpaca insoles (warmest wool). Wool liners for the trigger finger mitts and wool hard hat liner.

In summer I wear my leather  Haix or if wet my Helly Hansen full rubber caulks.

HolmenTree

Here's one more pic, a close up of a couple of pairs of my Bama's .
I just noticed my newest pair are labeled with a Viking logo. ???
So there you go... Viking is now in the business selling them too.

You'll never appreciate how comfortable these Bama's are until you try them in your rubber logging boots.
I've been wearing them for over 40 years. :)

HolmenTree

30C below today... outdoors with full felt liners.

IndyIan

For full felt liners I believe I had to go up to size 13 boots for size 10 feet.  And they fit perfectly, but are very tight going on.  If you are going to use felt liners I'd try and buy in person.     

SwampDonkey

I used to use bama socks out in BC, but I just wear wool socks in mine here back in NB. I wear size 11. And be sure to get either the 68 (lug sole) or the 69-1 (chaulk sole) model boot. I also wear chaulked bottoms year around, two pair of wool socks. Never been cold in the woods in my life. ;D

You can get bama socks on amazon.com

Men's Bama Socks

I find these the most comfortable model. The lower models hurt the top of the foot. The leather ones chaff your shins raw.

Viking 68
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OliG

Quick update :
I just received the vw58-1 viking boots in size 10, my usual size, and they fit surprisingly snug and confortables with bama socks over a light pair of whool socks. They are roomy to accomodate the Bama as stated by HolmenTree, but they can be worn without it using the 2 pairs of soles provided.

Very happy with the build quality and hope they will last a long time.

Thanks for all advices !

thecfarm

Lots of diffeant styles. I had no idea. I have the vw64-1
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

seaview

I have the least expensive Viking; rubber boot with short lace at the top back. They cut the fronts of my shins something fierce; like all rubber boots do. Need to wear long johns or some sort of long sock that doesn't slip down. And man are they heavy!! Hate them- but wear them anyways.

SwampDonkey

Duct tape a grocery bag on the outside rim, tuck down in the boot and punch a hole in bottom. Saves the leg hairs. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

seaview

Thanks for the tip SwampDonkey; a little out there but I might just give that a try tomorrow... or a slight mod there of.

thecfarm

I know one thing,if I had that problem,I would try it. I kinda think he knows what he is talking about.  ;)

chainsawnewbie

I have a pair of vikings, and I usually wear a 12, but for these I found it better to order a size 13. I dont wear the bama socks, I am a bit old school when it comes to socks. I wear a thinner liner sock, synthetic never cotton, and I have knee high heavy woolen socks made that extend well above the top of the boots that I pull over my pants . Prevents chafing and keeps your socks from bunching up in your boot. The size 13 accommodates these really heavy woolen socks well with a bit of wiggle room . 

SwampDonkey

Quote from: chainsawnewbie on March 10, 2021, 03:47:42 PM
I have knee high heavy woolen socks made that extend well above the top of the boots that I pull over my pants . Prevents chafing and keeps your socks from bunching up in your boot.
That's usually how I wear them to. But if your thinning with a clearing saw, the socks will end up down in the boot eventually. ;)

Wigwam or J.B. Fields branded wool socks does the trick equally well. :)

Great Sox - YouTube

chainsawnewbie

These ones you have look great!! I actually have been having mine made in Nova Scotia! But I am going to try these you are showing here 

SwampDonkey

Amazon has them. I think Mark there in the video got his there to.

thriceor

I wear the Thorlos Over the Calf Combat Boot Sock year round.  Lot's of cushion!  And it stays up!!  Not a lot of insulation in the cold, but a good all around sock.
...I'd rather trust a man who works with his hands,
He looks at you once, you know he understands...

Genesis- "The Chamber of 32 Doors"

Greenhighlander

I have always used my Dunlop Purofort boots until having a close call last year .  I bought a pair of the viking rubber boots with the laces at the top in back , from my local co op .  
I usually wear 10 1/2 and always wore size 12 dunlops so I could also wear a pair of bama socks . A must to not end up with trench foot by the end of the day with how much I sweat. Especially tripping pipe in summer lol  
Anyway I bought size 12 vikings which were the largest size they had and I can't wear anything other then a thin sock in them and even then I have a helluva time getting them off.  
They are also rubbing my shin raw and not very comfortable in general.  They do seem to offer great protection but I will be saving up for a more comfortable pair of chainsaw boots.  
I really hate not being able to wear bamas  

Thank You Sponsors!