iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Arch vs Parbuckling

Started by WranglerSS, January 29, 2017, 09:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WranglerSS

I'm buying a trailer to be able to get logs from other sources other than my property and have been reading  multiple threads on both designs. Given thr choice, which is the best way to load logs on a trailer?
Kubota L3240
Kubota RTV 900
Woodmizer LT28
Woodmaxx 8h Chipper/Shredder

Magicman

I parbuckle (crosshaul) logs onto my trailer because that is what I have.  The loading arches look interesting.

I now put an old tractor tire in the trailer before loading the large ones like that.   :o

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

I parbuckle because it is more likely for me to have access to logs where I can pull up parallel to them. There have been a few occasions where backing up would have been better so once I dragged the logs out for access. So, it depends on the situation in which you anticipate to find yourself.

Get clever and incorporate both methods in your trailer capabilities. Has anyone ever done that?
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Sixacresand

Parbuckling definitely works. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

DelawhereJoe

Pulling from the less then supported sides and dropping the logs onto the trailer deck looks like it would be very abusive on the trailer.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Magicman

Notice above where I mentioned putting tractor tires in the trailer.   I learned that after loading that 42" Water Oak log.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jesper Jepsen

What angel do your rails have? I'm wondering if I could make my farm wagon for the tractor work with parbuckling my issue is that bed bed is 35" above ground so how far out do I need to go to avoid a too steep an angle?

kelLOGg

My ramps make a 17° angle with the ground. There's nothing special about that - I just happened to have 8' ramps and my trailer is 28" high. If you go with 17° you would need 10' ramps to lift 35". (My winch is an 8000 lb pull MileMarker.)
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Sixacresand

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on January 30, 2017, 09:36:16 AM
Pulling from the less then supported sides and dropping the logs onto the trailer deck looks like it would be very abusive on the trailer.
Letting them drop on the floor really take a toll on the trailer.  Adding blocks and 6 x 6 cross beams keeps logs higher than the rails and they can be unloaded by rolling  off the side.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

flyboy16101

I parbuckle onto a deckover trailer using a portable that hooks onto the far side rub rails works great. I use to have a low profile trailer that I did this with and it made me cringe when the log slammed over the side I also used the winch on the front of the trailer with a pulley on the side opposite that I was loading this always seamed to get tangled up. But over all it seams like it takes less force this way then with a arch but I have to admit that I have never tried the arch or scene one used.
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

kelLOGg

Sixacres...

Those are some RAMPS! What's the diameter? You could catapult your trailer into orbit before those would bend. 8)
Bob

DR_Buck

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 30, 2017, 12:40:32 PM
My ramps make a 17° angle with the ground. There's nothing special about that - I just happened to have 8' ramps and my trailer is 28" high. If you go with 17° you would need 10' ramps to lift 35". (My winch is an 8000 lb pull MileMarker.)
Bob

You can parbuckle up onto a 35" high deck without a problem.    Also, note the previous comments about putting something on the trailer under where the log will land.   We learned that necessity doing this 12,000 lb white oak.   

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

fishfighter

WOW on the white oak. How in the world you got it off without ripping up everything? :D

I just started using my trailer with the arch. If I can get with in 100' of a log, I can use the winch to pull it to were the arch will lift it aboard. I have an extra 50' cable I can use to do that. No slamming when loading or unloading of logs. But, my target logs are under 30".  I have a wire remote now, but I ordered a wireless remote which will save time in the future. ;D

Sixacresand

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 31, 2017, 05:33:04 AM
Sixacres...

Those are some RAMPS! What's the diameter? You could catapult your trailer into orbit before those would bend. 8)
Bob
Steel pipes are 6" Diameter.  Don't know how thick or thin the wall is, but weight is manageable.   For heavier logs, you can slip a 4x4 inside and making the ramps longer.

DR_Buck

Quote from: fishfighter on January 31, 2017, 07:05:50 AM
WOW on the white oak. How in the world you got it off without ripping up everything? :D

A couple hi-lift farm jacks and a push.....

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Magicman

:o  I had to watch that a few times.   8)

Darrel

I parbuckled onto the my flatbed truck years ago and was planning on building an arch for my trailer but after reading this thread, I'm thinking I'm go ahead and plan to parbuckle. Looks to be less hassle.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

xlogger

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 30, 2017, 07:38:30 AM
I parbuckle because it is more likely for me to have access to logs where I can pull up parallel to them. There have been a few occasions where backing up would have been better so once I dragged the logs out for access. So, it depends on the situation in which you anticipate to find yourself.

Get clever and incorporate both methods in your trailer capabilities. Has anyone ever done that?
Bob

Bob, lots of those oaks downtown coming down soon. Did you hit many nails in that one? Every yard sale sign in the world was put on them.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

kelLOGg

Ricky,

I hit zero nails and there were 5 logs (took me 3 trips to get them home). I have generally been lucky on hitting tramp metal. These were very near Duke's east campus.

Bob

fishfighter

Wow on unloading. :D How much lumber came out that sucker? Got a few Red oaks that size, but there is no way in this world I would even try to saw up one or even try to fell one that size. :D

Sixacresand

A guy I used to go to Church with used to tell me how he used a mule to parkbuckle logs on a truck.  He said he could always put exact number of winds of rope around the log to get it loaded.  If the log was too big for the mule, they would use a dozer.

WV Sawmiller

Not quite same as loading on a trailer but I had a mule handler pull some big poplar logs for me last June and one big 12' log had rolled in a ditch with daylight underneath. Guy studied the layout, wrapped a long chain a couple turns around it and hooked the mules to it and they rolled it out as pretty as anything you can imagine. The mules never broke a sweat moving what i thought was going to be the hardest log of the day.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

The top rail on my trailer is 35" high.  My ramps are 8' long and constructed of 2"X3"X3/16" tubing.  The winch is an 8K MileMarker.

KirkD

What are the thoughts on using a chainsaw winch rather than a electric one? Seems with the low duty cycle of a 12 volt winch you would have a lot of wait time unless your abusing it. Are they heavy duty enough to do it with a snatch block?
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

fishfighter

Quote from: KirkD on February 01, 2017, 08:05:28 PM
What are the thoughts on using a chainsaw winch rather than a electric one? Seems with the low duty cycle of a 12 volt winch you would have a lot of wait time unless your abusing it. Are they heavy duty enough to do it with a snatch block?

Those things scare the heck out of me. I can see a cable popping and being the operator, you are in the way of getting hit by the cable. I saw a fellow years ago loose half a leg from a popping cable. :o

Thank You Sponsors!