iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Milling Help

Started by alabama, January 29, 2017, 05:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alabama

I'm in north Alabama Talladega county. If anyone has a M7-M8 for sale I'd be interested. I placed my order on a M661and should be here next week. Thanks for the offer shoot me a pm. Thanks for all the help everyone!
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

alabama

@richhiway-  by any chance have you found your birdie? I assume you didn't have a GPS located on board or can you check your log files like I can on the inspire 1? I know how you feel it is an empty feeling inside.
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mad murdock

Alabama, my start with chainsaws began when I worked in the woods full time, my brother and I  messed around with one of those little lumber makers I think it was a "beam machine". Later on we did quite a bit of milling by helping on a circle handset mill that one of our friends had and milled up some of our own logs. After several years of haiatus, I got back into milling with a Grnberg Alaskan MK III. I have milled much with it on my Hsqvqrna 372XPW. I progressed to a Logosol Timberjigg which worked ok, then I found an old bumblebee sawmill which I used quite extensively. I had toyed with the idea of a BSM, but for the effort I really wanted to go
With a circle mill. I wanted to retain the extreme portability a chainsawnpowered mill offers and get much more efficiency at the same time, which is why I bought a Turbosawmill warrior M6. I am very impressed. I have it powered by a Husqvarna 395XP and it is doing awesome!  Do what you can with the CSM until a better method becomes clear to you. You can do a lot with a chainsaw,2 or 3 is better). I had one set up with the Alaskan, another with the Timberjigg and yet another with a homemade "minimum copied After the granberg style. This was the best. Because you could open up a log with the MK III then edge with the mini mill or the Timberjigg and then get to slicing boards rather quickly. Also having a saw for each task spreads the wear and tear and really speeds things up as you are not having to stop and readjust for the next cut all time or flipping logs which saves the old back.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

ToddsPoint

I've been milling for 5 yrs. with a Logosol M7 ($1200 used on Craig's List) and a Stihl 660.  I make gunstocks and have milled a lot of walnut into blanks.  I cut the walnut 11/4.  Milling gunstocks is about the most wasteful thing you can do with a log so the small extra waste from the chain kerf don't amount to much.  If I was wanting to make dimensional lumber I'd buy a Wood Mizer for sure.  My CSM is slow, but I'm retired and I'm slow too.  I have a 28" bar for most logs but also have a 36" for crotches.  I mounted 2 removable wheels on the Logosol and can tip one end up and roll it in and out of my barn, or onto my trailer for a mobile job.  CSM fits my needs okay for gunstock blank making.  If it didn't, I'd already have bought a bandsaw.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

theonlybull

i'm pretty new to the milling scene... other then a stint in a big comercial mill in my younger days.
i've reciently built a chainsaw mill,  and electric one, with a bed, and carrige, similar to the bsm.
i'm running a 5hp 3450rpm electric motor, and a 24" bar, with a rip chain.  all i have cut sofar, is poplar (easy to get, i've cut around them for years, and left them standing).  an 8' 2x8 takes just about 65 seconds to cut.  a 14' x2"x12", is more like 3-4 minutes, depending on how sharp things are.  i do need to play with my chain a little bit, i could handle far more agressiveness with the electric motor. 
so far, i've cut about a dozon logs(pretty green myself)  but i'm happy with it.  it's been giving me a good cut(as nice, or nicer then a bsm) and everything is nice and true.
not sure if this will work,  but i'm one instagram as "theonlybull"
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTMWdCWli07/

look up snik electric sawmill on youtube, to see a really sweet electric csm
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

Thank You Sponsors!