iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Earthquake & sawmills

Started by Arkyrick, January 29, 2017, 02:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkyrick

Back in November I was sawing some logs on my  WM Lt15 mill when suddenly my saw began making a strange sound, sort of squealing like when you hit a nail it lasted just a few seconds and I couldn't find a nail. I wasn't sure what had happened other than it didn't sound normal to me. Just then my wife came running out of the house screaming did you feel the earthquake? We live in Arkansas about 7 miles from the Oklahoma border, there was a 5.0 quake in central OK other than me sensing something was wrong with my saw I never realized what was happening, it shook our house so bad my wife ran out of the house in a panic, later I inspected the house and couldn't find any damage but a few weeks later I noticed the ceramic tile in our upstairs bathroom was coming loose, I think the quake may have caused it. This quake was over a 100 miles away. :o
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

drobertson

It was felt this way too! Not as bad but noticeable, you are further west than I thought,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

My yard shakes every time I start the mill.  ;D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

crowhill

Peter that's just you jumping with excitement, come on!!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

JustinW_NZ

Come to "the shaky Isles" AKA New Zealand

always fun watching a swimming pool trying to empty itself slapping side to side :(
Pays to keep the log piles not too high or in a good shake they come loose and roll around like crazy things..

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

DelawhereJoe

Back in August of 2011 we had a nice little 5.0-5.9 here in Delaware, I remember it well as I was in my favorite work truck (an Autocar) broken down on the side of the road. The Company mechanic was under neath the truck unbolting the drive shaft like normal while we waited on the wrecker. A 3500 service truck drove by and the 56,000 lb truck starts rocking back and forth from side to side. The mechanic asked what was going on and I jokingly say "its just an earthquake your fine", well he scrambled out from under that truck jast as fast as he could.... We then watch the powerlines and trees sway lightly, you could feel the ground shake too but it was over to soon, he went back to work and I called my wife to see how the kids and her faired.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

fishfighter

Quote from: JustinW_NZ on January 31, 2017, 10:07:04 PM
Come to "the shaky Isles" AKA New Zealand

always fun watching a swimming pool trying to empty itself slapping side to side :(
Pays to keep the log piles not too high or in a good shake they come loose and roll around like crazy things..

Cheers
Justin

Here in Louisiana many years ago, the wife and I were fishing a small pond. For some reason, we started seeing waves. They started getting bigger and bigger, going back and forth. The waves were over 2' high and this lasted a good 5 minutes. Come to find out we had a quake hit our area. :D Was a once in a life time deal for here. :D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: crowhill on January 31, 2017, 09:53:37 PM
Peter that's just you jumping with excitement, come on!!

;D 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

DMcCoy

Earthquake - my go to excuse if stud location and plywood edges are not quite perfect. :D

alabama

Believe it or not we have had earthquakes hit here in north Alabama. Just glad to hear that you didn't have major damage.
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

Darrel

I grew up in a remote area on the California coast, Humboldt County.  Earthquakes are common there and I got pretty good at telling what they registered on the rhicter scale.  Glad I don't live there anymore, but not because of the earthquakes.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!