iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what speed sharpener rock should run

Started by jv riddle, January 28, 2017, 06:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jv riddle

building a automatic   sharpener for my 1 1/4 " bandmill, wondering if anyone knows the speed  that i should run my  grinding rock ?? thanks  for reading  or replying   :laugh:

ozarkgem

Order some stones from one of the suppliers on the left. I get mine from Cooks, but others have them. I think they are rated at 6000 rpm but I would have to look. I don't think you want to go any faster any way. All so MSC has surface grinder wheels and they list the RPM. Search a little.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

muggs

Maximum rpm is usually printed on the stone.  Muggs

jv riddle

thanks guys  , i was planning on using cooks blue ceramic stone but not ordered yet - just kinda figure might want to  run at a lesser rpm that what rock is  maxed at,  to keep heat down , so was  wondering what rpm motor  might work   best .

tacks Y

I think motor speed of 3600 rpm, but will check in the am for you.

bandmiller2

JV, Cooks blue or ruby ceramic wheels are an excellent choice. I would turn them at 3600 rpm that just happens to be a standard motor speed. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

boscojmb

I just took a look at my Cooks sharpener.

The Cooks blue stone is rated for 6495 RPM and the ruby stone is rated for 4515 RPM.

The sharpener has a 1725 RPM motor with a 4" drive pulley. The driven pulley is 1.5".

If my math is correct this gives you 4565 RPM.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

fishfighter

The radial saw I turned into a sharpener rpm is 3450. The stone I'm using is a blue 8"x1" stone that is rated at 4500 rpms. So far all is good. ;D Oh, I went thru two stone dressers to get the stone dressed out to the profile I needed. :(

ozarkgem

I use a diamond tipped wheel dresser. Like a screw driver but has a diamond tip. Buy them from MSC.  Get a good one. Cheap imports are a waste of money.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

fishfighter

tacks Y

I have a Wright sharpener that runs a Fasco motor direct 3000rpm. The WM I have runs a Leeson motor direct but cannot read the rpm.

jv riddle

AWESOME GUYS!   i think this tells me what i need to know, ive built 2 sawmills one a  fully hyd version and the one im running now  which is partial hyd, but this is first atempt to build an auto sharperner.. thanks again  and if i can be of any help to anyone please feel free to contact me   8) :D

fishfighter

Quote from: jv riddle on January 29, 2017, 09:32:28 PM
AWESOME GUYS!   i think this tells me what i need to know, ive built 2 sawmills one a  fully hyd version and the one im running now  which is partial hyd, but this is first atempt to build an auto sharperner.. thanks again  and if i can be of any help to anyone please feel free to contact me   8) :D

Start a thread on your build with pictures if you can. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!