iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing catalpa

Started by Briankinley2004, January 27, 2017, 10:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briankinley2004

Anyone have any experience sawing catalpa trees? One of my employees said he has some large ones about 20" diameter he is going to cut cause the worms don't come anymore. Don't reckon I have ever heard of or seen a catalpa board. My biggest concern is if they were a fence row at one time cause they used to be used for posts a lot

low_48

Cuts like butter, extremely light weight. Unless it's full of fence steel wires and staples. Get a metal detector or cut off the bottom 5' if they were in a fence line.

Briankinley2004

What's wood look like. Plain or some character?

Darrel

Made firewood out of some once. As I recall, it was very much like cottonwood, maybe not quite as heavy.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Brad_bb

I would take Catalpa anytime I could get it.  I've only sawed 2 logs and it was for someone else.  Very lightweight wood.  Has a metallic sheen.  Very interesting grain pattern figure.  I flat sawed it and got a mix of patterns, both interesting.  Not sure if I'd flat saw again or quarter saw.  He was making a table or two out of it.  I do have some scraps left over that I kept for possible small projects.  If you can get Catalpa, it's cool looking stuff, even when it looks nasty/defective on the outside.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Don P

That is my memory, ring porous, nice looking. I believe it is rot resistant as well.

Briankinley2004

I miss fishing with catalpa worms. He is telling me once they grow the beans the worms go away. I haven't seen any trees with worms in years around here

Ron Wenrich

I saw it used as paneling in a guys house.  Worked out great.  If I recall, ring porous and was more yellow in color. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Cedarman

It has a very interesting aroma. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ozarkgem

not sure about the rot resistant. I have one on the log pile and its hollow. I am hoping to make a few boards from it.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

paul case

I sawed one that was 16'x36'' at the butt. The guy wanted all 4x4 so thats what we made. Neat looking wood. My guess is it would finish well. I guess it is rot resistant? That is what the guy that brought it had been told and all those 4x4's were gona be legs for a deck.

That log was the funniest get here story I ever heard. it had blown over and the cut all the bush off to a log and it was still up off the ground so they backed a trailer under it and cut it off into the trailer. They pulled that trailer to my mill with a little John Deere tractor, from Commerce,OK! Thats over 14 miles! To make matters worse they got lost, even though the driver had been here before. He was over 4 hours getting a log here and getting back home.

Yard tree that had no hardware that I hit anyway.
I would saw your catalpa.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Cedarman on January 28, 2017, 06:51:14 AM
It has a very interesting aroma. 

Cedar,

Let's be blunt about this - it stinks.

Oh yeah - the worms are good fish bait but stain your hands badly with their spittle. Dad was a cook in the Army and said best way to remove the stain was to make a big batch of biscuit dough. ???
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Cedarman

WV, I don't find skunk aroma that unpleasant.  I heard it was a genetic thing.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

LeeB

Quote from: Cedarman on January 29, 2017, 07:39:29 AM
WV, I don't find skunk aroma that unpleasant.  I heard it was a genetic thing.

Are you part skunk?  :D  :D  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Don P

I remember thinking it smelled like wet stale coffee grounds... but then I don't find light skunk unpleasant  :D

We removed the ailanthus from one jobsite, brought the sawlogs home and milled them up for the homeowner. Stickered it in the shed with fans and abandoned that area for a month till the air cleared, what a stink.

Sixacresand

Seems like my Dad and many others went to a lot of trouble with catalpa trees to get a couple weeks of worms for fish bait.  We hung pie pans, anything shiny in the trees to shew birds from getting the worms.  Some old folks would guard their worms with pellet guns, 410, BB guns or firecrackers, which was their sport or recreation.  Then the time came to climb the trees and pick the worms to sell them. I grew up thinking this was normal. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

fishfighter

Quote from: Sixacresand on January 29, 2017, 08:19:21 AM
Seems like my Dad and many others went to a lot of trouble with catalpa trees to get a couple weeks of worms for fish bait.  We hung pie pans, anything shiny in the trees to shew birds from getting the worms.  Some old folks would guard their worms with pellet guns, 410, BB guns or firecrackers, which was their sport or recreation.  Then the time came to climb the trees and pick the worms to sell them. I grew up thinking this was normal.

In my neck of the woods, it is normal. :D That and fig trees. :D

Sawmill Man

Yep that was pretty common here too.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Kbeitz

I don't think that I have ever see a catalpa tree but we do
have good tree fishing worms.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

I have always called them bean trees. Seem like around July 4th they blossom around here. Maybe Catalpa speciosa in this area? Never seen one up close.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tule peak timber

I milled one catalpa log (urban timber) a while back, and wish I could find more. I built several tables and desks with this beautiful wood. Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

LeeB

Nice. It looks a lot like mulberry.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WV Sawmiller

Kbeitz,

That's a nasty looking worm! What is it? I'd expect an old B grade movie with it as the star monster.

cfarm,

I think they were also called Indian tobacco trees.

DonP,

How did the alianthius wood work out? I have a couple that broke off at the corner of my yard (Could have something to do with me girdling them a couple years ago after one fell on my CL fence) and I keep threatening to buck them up and saw them. Is it worth the effort? I wonder if the smell would annoy the chipmunks or the garter snakes residing in my very open wood shed?

Tule Peak,

That's an awful pretty slab.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!