iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

horse radish

Started by coxy, January 27, 2017, 08:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

wonder how good it is for you I have been eating 2-3 8.8oz jars a week for the past month don't know why    been putting it on just about every thing

Woodcutter_Mo

Horseradish is prety good, I use it with fish alot. I grow it, dig it up and grate it my self.

I know it supposedly has alot of vitamin C as well as a few other vitamins. Also is low fat, so it's probably prety good for you. But, 3 jars a week though?! :o
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Chuck White

I really like horse radish!

I have 4-5 roots growing now, but not doing real well before freeze-up, so they'll get a new home in the Spring!

I've been told that horse radish likes soil with clay in it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sawguy21

I like it with roast beef but let's keep the bite reasonable. The horse radish my uncle grew would bring tears to the eyes even in small amounts.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

coxy

don't know why iv been craving it but I think the Rolaid co likes it  ;D  it will grow just about anyplace its better if you have gravel in the soil it makes it easer to get the root out I had it in pea gravel for a few years but it has to be in a damp/wet place it will even grow in a bag in the fridge  :o going to try and grow it under some old hey like you do taters    I was showed years ago that there was 2 kinds of it some have a little bit of red on the stem that comes out of the ground that's the mild and the one that is white/green is the HOT  another thing if you get some growing take a tiller and till it it will spread like wild fire

Chuck White

We always made sure that we buried/replanted the top, and it will grow a new root!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coxy

yeper  just think how many new plants you will get after you till it with all the pieces of chopped root  :)

JIM GORMLEY

I love it on steak. The stronger the better.
I live with fear and danger. On the weekends,I leave her and go wild boar hunting.

thecfarm

We use to have it around here. Now we mow the place like a lawn and we killed it out.
My Father ground some one year. Did not cut it with anything. My Mother would not help him,or really could not because it was so strong it would bring tears to her eyes.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DelawhereJoe

Wasabi is in the horseradish family, cheap wasabi is just ground, green dyed horseradish paste...with this and that added for good luck.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

sawguy21

Good wasabi adds a nice flavor but proceed with caution.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Den Socling

I love horseradish on ham. But I'm almost always disappointing in the stuff from grocery stores. One brand that we buy always says hot. About every third jar actually is.

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on January 28, 2017, 06:57:58 PM
Wasabi is in the horseradish family, cheap wasabi is just ground, green dyed horseradish paste...with this and that added for good luck.

That's what I've read. I've read that most wasabi you buy at the store is mostly horseradish, and may contain a small amount true wasabi. The true stuff is supposedly hard to grow so it's very expensive. Alot of the store bought stuff is prety good tasting though.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Czech_Made

Try horseradish grated with apple, makes it smoother taste.

Babylon519

We grew it last year in a 12" planter to try to keep it from spreading everywhere. It still spread everywhere!  :D Interesting to hear that the red-tinged stems are the cooler variety; I'll have to check that out - hoping I have the hotter stuff. I'd like a nice, simple recipe to make up a quart to keep in the frig.
- Jason
Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

Dave Shepard

One of the members of my woodworker's guild brought some keilbasa and horseradish from a Polish butcher shop to our holiday meeting last year. One dab of that stuff would clear the sinuses of the person standing next to you! It was brutal. I couldn't stop eating it. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

coxy

Quote from: Babylon519 on January 30, 2017, 01:39:31 PM
We grew it last year in a 12" planter to try to keep it from spreading everywhere. It still spread everywhere!  :D Interesting to hear that the red-tinged stems are the cooler variety; I'll have to check that out - hoping I have the hotter stuff. I'd like a nice, simple recipe to make up a quart to keep in the frig.
- Jason
horse radish ,water, white vinegar ,sugar, salt and what ever artificial oil of mustard is ???  and always make shur you tip the jar up side down this way it don't get that crusty brown stuff on top by the lid

Thank You Sponsors!