iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaws & Road-trips?

Started by ReggieT, January 26, 2017, 10:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

I've been having tons of fun buying, working on, and sometimes selling few saws here and there.
Most of my transaction are local, yet lately I'm stating to branch out farther and farther to find deals.
More and more it seems if the good deals are longer distances away. fudd-smiley smiley_horserider

Looks like I'm going to have to set a mileage limit on my road trips though.
Yet, there's this tempting 044 owned by an elderly couple...300 miles AWAY!!!
Talked them down from $450 to $200...supposedly sat in their storage room for a few yrs, yet still cranks!!  ::)

What is you guys boundaries concerning chainsaws and road-trips?
What has been the longest road-trip you've taken for a chainsaw or saws?
What has been your greatest rewards & your most disappointing trip?

YIKES!!!"an 064 & 066 for $300...in TOGO, AFRICA!!" ::) :o
Later

Al_Smith

Probably about 80 miles .Bunch of freebies,old Homelites,couple Remingtons.  Might be collectable ,mostly door stops .

Spike60

75 miles each way. Pick up load of saws in a barn from a guy who was once a dealer. Older Jonnys, Homelites and a couple Stihls. Some were trade ins that he never did anything with and only needed a little lovin' to get going.

The road trip itself was part of the fun and I enjoyed it. If factoring in the time/cost of the trip for saws that you intend to re-sell, then I guess it would be a different ballgame. And it's not just "how far", but how good is the score. Some saws are worth a little extra driving.  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

ReggieT

Great feedback.
Just heard back from the 044 folks they do have an PayPal account & are willing to ship or to drive  about 80 miles closer.
What would you guys do?
Headed to the USPS page now to see how much shipping an 044 w/bar & chain is??? :P ???

Canadiana

The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

weimedog

Quote from: ReggieT on January 26, 2017, 10:36:46 PM
I've been having tons of fun buying, working on, and sometimes selling few saws here and there.

What is you guys boundaries concerning chainsaws and road-trips?
What has been the longest road-trip you've taken for a chainsaw or saws?
What has been your greatest rewards & your most disappointing trip?

3 hours is a typical saw adventure trip for me....but there has to be at least something to cut and good food! See your from AL , Have land down in the Ozark (Ariton) area and will drive down there this year. One of the kids is also at Auburn. THAT will be a saw adventure as well...looking for my Grand fathers old Poulan with a Bow blade that used used for pulp wood....
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

celliott

I wouldn't go that far for just one saw. If you could bunch a few together maybe. Or were buying multiple ones from a single person.

I drove 4hrs to Maine one time, ended up with a Jonsered 920, 32" bar, 2x 2171's, a 371xp and a pile of parts. That was worth it to me. I put a carb kit in the 920 and turned around and sold it for what I paid for the lot.
Another time I met up with people from 3 seperate CL ads and came back with a pickup full of saws. Thought a guy had a 046 stihl, it was an 041. Disappointment. Other guy had two 670 champs and a 394xp so that made the trip worthwhile.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

ReggieT

Thinking I'm gonna pass...something smells awfully fishy about this deal, prime 044 for $200 hadn't been sold on CL for 2 months, email contact only---will not call or text, now her supposed Postal Office Guru thinks she should ship ground only!
Not mention these beyond sluggish replies & Neanderthal replies!!! headscratch
I'M OUT!!!
SORRY FOR WASTING YOU ALL'S TIME!! smiley_furious smiley_furious3

sawguy21

That sounds like the right decision. You didn't waste anybody's time, it was fun reading the responses.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!