The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Please help identify this tree  (Read 778 times)

Offline Big Leaf Maple

• I'm new!
Please help identify this tree
« on: January 26, 2017, 08:51:18 pm »
Hi everyone. I'm brand new here. I have a lot of different species of trees on our property. We currently just started tapping our Big Leaf Maple Trees for sap to make syrup from. We are also gong to tap our Red Alders and if we have some; our Birch trees. That is what I need help identifying; the possible Birch trees..
These trees have no blossoms or fruit, no lower branches, they are tall and the crown is at the upper part of the tree, the bark peels off horizontally, and has leaves kind of similar to an Alder but unfortunately I didn't take pictures of the leaves while they were still on the tree before the Fall. Here are some pictures of the trees in question. Note that the picture with the two trees close together, the tree on the left with the flag tape on it is a Big Leaf Maple, but the one on the right is one of the ones in question.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Please help identify this tree
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 09:25:01 pm »
Looks like that it is in the genus Prunus.  It includes the cherries and plums. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Big Leaf Maple

• I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 09:27:49 pm »
Thank you for the reply WDH but these trees give no blossoms/flowers or fruit. So they can't be a Cherry or Plum. They just have leaves that look similar to a Red Alder leaf.

I am thinking they are Black Birch myself but I'm no expert that's for sure!

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 09:30:52 pm »
Yes, could be in the birch family. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline pinefeller

• youngest sons first sentence: "Pa cuts trees"
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 10:00:12 pm »
scratch and sniff ;D no really, wack it with a hatchet and smell it or drill a hole
we the willing, led by the unknowing,are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. we have done so much for so long with so little, we are now capable of doing anything with nothing.

Offline Big Leaf Maple

• I'm new!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 10:11:13 pm »
scratch and sniff ;D no really, wack it with a hatchet and smell it or drill a hole
Ok Pinefeller I can do that. What am I looking for in ways of smell to identify it?

Online LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 10:26:35 pm »
I can't help with the ID but it might give others a better clue if you fill in your bio. Where are these trees located? If I remember what these guys have taught me, birch will have a wintergreen smell to it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, Ford 851 tractor, JD 3032 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton and 2005 1 ton Dodge 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Big Leaf Maple

• I'm new!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 10:45:20 pm »
I can't help with the ID but it might give others a better clue if you fill in your bio. Where are these trees located? If I remember what these guys have taught me, birch will have a wintergreen smell to it.
I'm from Maple Ridge, BC Canada.
Thank you for the tip about the wintergreen!

Offline pinefeller

• youngest sons first sentence: "Pa cuts trees"
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 11:57:19 pm »
any luck?

If it is indeed a juvenile cherry it will smell very bitter. you mentioned a long trunk with a lack of limbs is pushing me to black birch. should smell like wintergreen

hold the phone.... just got to thinking.... black doesnt peel... it splits if anything (got to thinking about a small stand of black birch i thinned out) im actually leaning to yellow (wont smell pretty like the black) hmmmm

got a picture backed up a little to see the crown/surroundings? leaf, twig, bud?

Im surprised you havent got more responses these guys are usually all over this stuff.
we the willing, led by the unknowing,are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. we have done so much for so long with so little, we are now capable of doing anything with nothing.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 07:24:39 am »
I do not believe that black birch or yellow birch occur naturally in British Columbia.

Offline logger RK

• I'm new!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 07:54:06 am »
Yellow birch would be my guess ::)

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 10:12:06 am »
It is water birch, Betula occidentalis.

Offline Clark

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 08:56:56 am »
I've never heard of water birch but considering your proximity to Vancouver it could be just about any birch. My experience living on the west coast is that every introduced species grows like crazy.

I think you have pictures of two different species there. One (first and last pictures) does look like a birch. The middle two pictures are almost certainly bitter cherry (Prunus emarginata). They never get that big and my experience is that they are very hit or miss if they produce flowers any given year. Wild growing trees with small crowns are less likely to produce flowers and if they do, it won't be many.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Offline Big Leaf Maple

• I'm new!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2017, 11:34:38 pm »
Thank you guys. We found out they are all Birch. The old Catkins that were still left on some of the branches were the tell tale. We are thinking they are Black Birch. But the Water Birch does also look very much like them.
Either way they are Birch so we can tap them for Sap to make Birch Syrup along with all our Big Leafs :)