iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reactions to tick repellent clothing?

Started by John Mc, April 10, 2022, 09:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Has anyone here ever heard of someone having a skin reaction to the factory-treated tick repellent clothing, such as that sold by Insect Shield?

A friend has a daughter who has severe skin reactions to just about everything (sometimes triggering severe headaches as well). She is looking for something her daughter can use outdoors to avoid tick issues that won't kick up problems with her sensitive skin

A number of her friends are suggesting various essential oils and natural remedies. I went through a wide range of those types of products looking for something effective. The worst were completely worthless: I could see no difference between using them and bare untreated skin. The best worked fairly well, but only lasted a couple hours (less, if you were sweating heavily).

I've had really good luck with Insect Shield clothing and similar products from other manufacturers. They are treated with a permethrin-based compound which is bonded to the fabric and lasts through up to 70 washes. I'm not a great test case for my friends kid, since I rarely get allergic reactions to anything. My wife has some mild sensitivites and has not had issues with the clothing, but her sensitivities are nothing like my friend's daughter.

I'm curious if any of you know of anyone who has had an adverse reaction to the factory treated clothing. I've heard of people having reactions to the home-applied spray, but that was only when they had contact with the spray in liquid form.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

Flick The Tick Is made only about 15 minutes from my place.
A Mother wanted something safe for her kids. Now she sells it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kantuckid

I can testify that US Army DEET will melt yer poncho and various plastic stuff. Nasty stuff that works good. 
With young kids I'd never use it. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

beenthere

I'm thinking sensitive skins are different for most everyone, and the only way to find out if Insect Shield works for the daughter of a friend is to try it. It is frustrating part of it, what works for one does not work for another. 

Also wouldn't suggest if a treatment works for me, it should work for someone else. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sprucebunny

I'm fairly sensative to lots of stuff and Insect Shield doesn't bother me. Like said, just buy a hat or bandana and try it.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

YellowHammer

I personally don't like anything insecticide based touching my skin so I use the second layer method.  A also don't much care for repellents, I like insect killing.  I like the spray on pyrethrums such as from Cabelas, which kill easily,  but spray it on my shoes and let them dry before I put them on.  If I know I'm going into a tick rich environment, I will spray a pair of socks and let it dry and then put on two pairs of socks, one clean set on first next to my skin, then the sprayed set, on the outside, not touching my skin

I also spray my leather belt and that should kill any ticks going from my pants to my shirt.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

69bronco

I've been using Insect shield along with permethrin for a few years with no adverse reactions. I'm with YH and try to wear untreated underneath when I can. After battling Lyme for the last 10 or so years I'll do whatever it takes.

Claybraker

I've never had a reaction to permethrin spray. Story on a local resident with Alpha-gal syndrome. Lyme disease is bad enough, but no BBQ, ribeye steak, dairy/ cheese pizza, etc.
https://www.cbs46.com/2022/04/17/georgia-woman-contracts-meat-mammal-product-allergy-after-tick-bite/

John Mc

Well, I lost track of this thread. I've never had a reaction to Permethrin treated clothing myself - either for the factory treated stuff or for clothing I sprayed myself. I've been wearing it for 10+ years. I started with spraying some of my own clothing. It worked so well I bought a few factory treated T-shirts. I liked the fact that I did not have to keep track of when the factory treated stuff was last done (spraying clothing myself only lasts through about 5 washes).

I ended up lending one of my daughter's factory-treated T shirts to my friend. Her daughter had no problems, despite being hyper sensitive to just about everything. They have ordered some of that clothing for all of their kids.

John
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

B.C.C. Lapp

I have sprayed my clothes with permethrin for years and never had a problem.  But my son has treated his clothes with the same stuff and got a mild rash that went away shortly after he washed.  He cant wear it next to his skin.   
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

John Mc

Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on July 21, 2022, 06:04:06 PM
I have sprayed my clothes with permethrin for years and never had a problem.  But my son has treated his clothes with the same stuff and got a mild rash that went away shortly after he washed.  He cant wear it next to his skin.  
Your son might want to check in to the factory treated clothing sold by Insect Shield (and others). The treatment is much more tightly bonded to the fabric. My friend's daughter is incredibly sensitive to just about everything - including clothing that her mother had sprayed. She had no problem with the factory treated clothing.

petefrom bearswamp

I have one pair of cargo pants that are my permethryn pants.
Tuck them into my socks when in the woods working.
Wife washes them every so often and I re treat.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!