iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw/Firewood processor

Started by deerguy, January 25, 2017, 05:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerguy

Folks,
U used a new Wallenstein wood processor last week that I thought was a fantastic unit and might consider buying it. Here's the question.....I used a Husky 455 Rancher with an 18" bar and it was way under powered for the job. My 371 was at my camp and un-available, but as much as I hate to say it....pretty sure it's too small as well.
Ideally I need a 24" bar. My  buddy has an 880 Stihl that he says will be the right saw, but I'm Husky thru and thru. Any suggestions for a big saw ?? I'll go Stihl if that's the answer, so I'm not stuck on a brand yet......
Any insight most appreciated....

Thanks, Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

Gearbox

Watch the video of the BT6870 that is a 044 Stihl and I have to back off on the saw to let the splitter return . That's at 10 seconds a 20inch log up to 19 inches dia . Unless that processer has a spilt & return time under 10 seconds you don't need much over 70 cc .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

celliott

You want a big husky the ms880 competition is the 3120xp.
Also a 395xp would surely do the trick too.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Jesper Jepsen

If you need to run a 24" bar I would suggest the MS 661 it's plenty big to run a 24" or even 36" bar. The 880 is big and heavy, well that's the 661 also in the long run but not as much as the 880. The other issue is that the 880 is a old saw and the vibrations is a lot more than the 661 ad to that the fuel consumption and so on it all is in favor of the 661.
I run the 661 with both a 25" bar and a 36" and with the 25" it's a beast that don't stop for nothing. I use it both for cutting down trees and milling with the 36" bar and had never felt I needed more power to do the work.

Wallys World

I have a Wallenstein 835 processor and use a Stihl MS440 with a 24 inch bar running semi-chisel chain on it. The semi-chisel chain is more forgiving on dirt than chisel. The 440 does a fine job, has enough power. If you do a search for "Bit the bullet - bought a firewood processor" you can see it. I have put about 20 cords thru it so far and the saw is holding up good. I do have the chainsaw mount on the processor.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

ehp

buy a 395 , they are hard to find in Canada cause we are not to have any but Husky sent a skid of 395's up to Canada so they are here but not a lot left , guys jumped on them like hot cakes

deerguy

Gentlemen,
Thanks very much for the input. Since this was my first attempt at a processor, the chain type never really crossed my mind, but I'm thinking that is a serious item to consider. Almost all of our wood comes out of the bush on snow and is quite clean, but that still doesn't negate the chain issue.
Still shopping......
Thanks,
Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

Spike60

Your buddy's suggestion is likely more based on his desire to unload that giant 880.  :D  That's way more saw than needed.

Since you have the 371, why not set it up and see how it does? If you feel the need for a larger saw, you can upgrade at any time.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!