iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ideas for a frame that will be added on to later

Started by nsm5096, January 25, 2017, 11:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsm5096

So I am getting ready to design and build a frame and want to put up a portion of the house now that will defiantly be added on to later... Due to cost. What are everyone's thoughts as to the best way to approach this knowing I will be adding on.

End goal is three bedroom with a den/home office, large kitchen and living area approx. 2500sqft I'm thinking.
L shape with a partial second floor, the second floor being the master suite only. Living exposed the entire height of the building.

Currently all I would need is the essentials for me myself and I.

How would you dissect it?

Thank you everyone for any insight you can offer as well for all the reading ive done here to date.
- Nate

Jim_Rogers

Due to different times of construction the timbers are going to be a different age and moisture content. That means different shrinkage rates.
Plan on having the second part self supporting with posts next to other posts so that they shrink at different rates.
It can be done you just need to compensate for differences in the two frames.

Do not try and make the new addition roof in the same plane as the existing roof. Shrinkage may open up gaps between the two roofs.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

nsm5096

So no adding additional bents along the same roof line. As well as creating a situation where there is a valley in the roof?
Any styles that lend to this better than others?
Jim thank you for your help.

nsm5096

Also the plan will likely be to use standing dead ash if that has an affect on shrinkage issues. I plan on milling all the ash timber I have on the property while it is still good, all dead but still good.

Cost of the foundation and Insulated panels are what is making me consider the idea of building in several stages. I would like to build the entire house myself, on my timeline and getting the bank involved wouldn't help that goal.

Figured a little background would be helpful.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: nsm5096 on January 25, 2017, 01:00:35 PM
So no adding additional bents along the same roof line?

You can but you'll need to make it so that one roof is separate from the other as with different age and dryness of the timbers the shrinkage is going to be different.

As well as creating a situation where there is a valley in the roof?

As long as the valley is all in one roof or the other and not the dividing line.
You can build it any way you want just be aware that there could be some movement of the roof planes as one side dries more than the other and it could develop a gap.

Any styles that lend to this better than others?

Not sure.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!