iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TF Wiring Question (vertically behind a post)

Started by jb9, January 24, 2017, 11:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb9

Hello,

I searched the forum and didn't find the answer I was seeking so I will ask a question here.  I know it is common to put a strip of 5/8" strapping on the outside of a post so that a SIP panel can allow a 1/2" sheet of drywall to slip in behind the post.  I am planning on running romex behind my posts horizontally and using a baseboard to hide my horizontal runs of wire.  I am however curious to know if I can run romex vertically on the back of a post up to a 2nd floor location.  I know it's not a huge cavity and I don't know if it could be planned out during the SIP installation but I thought I would ask.  I am aware of the code requirement for staples at a specified length but I wasn't sure if that was for horizontal runs only.

I have attached a picture that hopefully describes what I am asking.

Thanks.

Ljohnsaw

I think you might run into problems.  Code might dictate that you have nailing strips/protection.  Steel covering the wires so that they don't get hit when you are nailing the SIPs in place.  I'd probably make a bit of a groove in the back of the post (1/8"+/-) so that I could place a 3/4" conduit with sweeps on the ends.  Then you could slide wires in after the SIPs are in place and before the drywall goes up.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

logman

I did that on both timber frame homes I've built for ourselves with no problems.  Both passed electrical inspections.  I wired them after the sips were on so there was no danger of hitting the wires with screws.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Thank You Sponsors!