iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Restoring a Civil War Era barn in Middle Georgia

Started by WDH, January 24, 2017, 08:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Not sure how old the original barn is, but it is older than sawmill technology.  All of the original logs/beams were hand hewn on two faces.  No saw marks, just axe marks.  The roof had failed, and many of the original logs were rotten.  I sawed out some 6" thick beams to replace the back wall of this old barn.  In the pic, all 7 of the beams in the back wall (leftmost wall in the pic) were sawn from my blue pine.  The owner put 3 steel wool pads in a gallon of white vinegar and treated the bottom four beams.  This gave the them an old weathered appearance.  In the pic, the original wall is the rightmost wall.  The new wall is the leftmost one.  The match on the bottom four beams is incredibly good.

The sides and back shed walls were done with my blue pine live edge slabs sawn at 1 1/8" thick.  In this pic, they have not been treated yet with the steel wool and vinegar solution.

This is a really cool project.  The owner has a second barn to restore, even in worse shape.  The progress so far looks very nice. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

danreed76

That is a really cool project!  It's great to see one of these old barns salvaged and preserved. 

Is that just some rocks on the corners for foundation?
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

fishpharmer

Nice seeing someone putting the time and effort into restoring very old structures.   8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

BigZ La

That's truly a job I would love to do. Old barns are just great.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Savannahdan

Glad you posted this.  My SIL has a client wanting him to work on an old barn and other outbuildings on an old plantation and wants them to have the aged look.  They have asked me to help.  I've used the vinegar-steel wool technique on a smaller scale.  Thanks and keep the pictures coming.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Mooseherder

WDH

The dovetails are not as tight as the Barnwood builders, but they are still very nice.  Sherman could probably do better, but the owners are doing the work themselves, and are very excited about the results. 

123maxbars

thanks for sharing, a great project you have gotten into, love old barns,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

scsmith42

Very cool Danny!

Last year we did some work for the State Fairgrounds in NC.  They had some reclaimed chestnut beams that were 24' long and we cleaned them up to serve as sill plates on a new project.

It's fun working with the old stuff.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!