iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Local home town sears store.

Started by Woodhauler, January 24, 2017, 05:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Went to it this morning to pick up a couple craftsman tools on sale, Had a long talk with the owner about what will happen if sears goes under. He said The 2000 plus home town stores are a separate company not effected by sears! Said 95% of the stuff the sell is already been sold to other companys from sears. So we will still see the Home town stores!!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Den Socling

Our local hardware store has a lot of Craftsman tools.

Ricker

Sears in Augusta is in the process of closing right now, so I am not too sure that is the case. But we can go to Kmart and get a few craftsman tools...

Woodhauler

Quote from: Ricker on January 24, 2017, 06:21:12 PM
Sears in Augusta is in the process of closing right now, so I am not too sure that is the case. But we can go to Kmart and get a few craftsman tools...
Sears and the small home town sears stores are two different companys. There is one in Newport, Farmington,belfast, and other places in maine. They are not closing.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

ozarkgem

Sears just sold the craftsman line to someone. Can't remember who. That was about all the had left. I always liked craftsman wrenches.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

GAB

Quote from: ozarkgem on January 24, 2017, 06:59:49 PM
Sears just sold the craftsman line to someone. Can't remember who. That was about all the had left. I always liked craftsman wrenches.

I think it was Stanley.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

newoodguy78

GAB, for what it's worth I just heard the same thing the other day.

Chuck White

Here, the ACE Hardware store in Canton carries Craftsman tools!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Woodhauler

Quote from: newoodguy78 on January 24, 2017, 07:38:14 PM
GAB, for what it's worth I just heard the same thing the other day.
Yes , Stanley/ Black and decker is buying them.

Kbeitz

I was told around 150 Sears stores in my area is going to close...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Corley5

Newer Craftsmen hand tools are made in China.  They have been for a while :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

A big company that is seeing the times a changing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ozarkgem

I guess another Montgomery Ward. Showing my age
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

LeeB

I have an old Monkey Ward welding machine my dad bought when I was somewhere around 10 years old. Pretty sure it's a miller rebranded and MW. Still works but no so well any more.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Kbeitz

If you do a google search you will see that Montgomery Ward is coming back...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

barbender

I've always liked Craftsman hand tools, and I realize that Sears, Roebuck and Co. is a part of Americana. But Sears is one of my least favorite companies. I believe it is the only one I vowed I would never do business with again. Their customer service just plain stinks. 
Too many irons in the fire

Roxie

Yes, sadly that was my experience with them back in 1978.  I'd purchased a Kenmore washing machine, and one week past the two year warranty, it broke down. I phoned for a repairman to take a look at it (cost $60.00) and he told me the drum was rusted, and it couldn't be repaired "for less than a new washer would cost."  As I handed him the check for the "service" call, I told him, "I really do want Sears to enjoy the money I paid for that washer, and this "repair" cost, because it is the very last penny I'll ever spend on your company." 

I kept my promise and discovered Snap-On tools are wonderful! 

Say when

Farmerjw

Well, it is a shame a company that went from the catalog to a brick and mortar store couldn't find the transition to become an internet store.  The old way of thinking that allowed it to morph into brick and mortar stores isn't around I guess.  That went with the quality care of customers. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Chop Shop

They have had it coming.

Amazon is now doing to Sears,

What Sears did to the general store/mercantile 100 years ago.

Catalog then, internet now.

Bye Bye sears.

Den Socling

This isn't about Sears but it's about customer service and the modern merchandise world. We buy a lot of stuff from McMaster-Carr. They have almost everything under the sun, their prices are good, delivery comes the next day for us but best of all, their website is so intuitive you never find yourself lost. Now I occasionally need something from Grainger. Everything about McMaster is true about Grainger except their website. I always buy small items on-line. At Grainger, I'm always getting screwed up. They now have a helpful live person join in when they see somebody lost. Last time I ordered from Grainger, I ended telling the person that they should order something from McMaster and see how a website is supposed to work. He/she said "yes, I have heard that."  :D

Brian_Rhoad

I had to exchange a broken socket at Sears today. I asked what would be changing now that Craftsman had been sold. The clerk said there wouldn't be any changes at least for now. There were two clerks there and they both said they expect the Craftsman part to improve. Stanley is planning on building at least two factories here in the USA. For now Sears will be the only place to exchange tools under warranty. They also said they expect more tools to be available under the Craftsmen name. I hope that's true.

thecfarm

I hope they keep on taking craftsman tools back.
I really don't like sears washing machine and things like that. But the wife stopped into a small town sears store and they had a chest freezer with a dent in it. Real cheap. Had i about 8 years and still going,so far.
But Roxie is right. We bought our appliances new back in 2000 when we had the house built. We have had some problems with the washer,some normal wear items,but each time they tell us it's worth it to fix it. We happened to buy decent appliances,without knowing it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

alabama

Our Sears location has closed down too! A lot more will be closing nationwide. Unfortunate!
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

Kbeitz

At one time I thought they had one of the best garden tractors.
Today I would not even take the time to look one over.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Sixacresand

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 08, 2017, 01:18:34 AM
At one time I thought they had one of the best garden tractors.
Today I would not even take the time to look one over.

Those garden tractors were beasts: Powerful, heavy duty, dependable and easy to work on.  I bought a later model and still using it after 30+ years.  I stopped by a home owned Sears and saw a heavily discounted 2016 Craftsman garden tractor which I brought home with me.  It has all the bells and whistles/safety gadgets and a five year extended warranty (as it will not be easy to work on).  I think it will last the rest of my adult mowing life.  And it will pull the implements that fit my old one. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!